Where are the PhD MSE Applicants for Fall 2012?

lkh5650

Applied? Accepted?

Let me start with me :(

Applied: MIT, Harvard, Caltech, Stanford, Berkeley, Georgia Tech, Cornell, UCSD, U-PENN

I haven't heard anything yet

Stats:

GPA 82.15%... converted to 3.45

Toughest program in top engineering school in Canada

Experience, 16 months of full time research work (2 first author, 2 co-author all published) 4 months of work experience in national lab, 4 months industrial work experience

GRE terrible scores

Q167,V150,AW4.5 4

LOR

1 from 16 months research work supervisor

1 from Caltech prof I worked with (I visited caltech twice to conduct experiements with her/her group for over 2 months)

1 from national lab manager

My GPA seems too low for the top schools i applied to :(

I applied to Stanford, MIT, UCSD, Univ of Washington, and UT Austin. I got invited (via phone) to a visit weekend to UT Austin, but haven't heard back from any of the others. Does anyone know about Stanford? I saw a few admits on the results board and since I heard the visit weekend is in February I figured if I haven't heard by now the results aren't good.

I am a Mech. student, however I applied to the MSE program at Gtech and Stanford.

If you haven't heard from Stanford, you are rejected by now, since they have given their admissions out already. Although if someone changes his mind you might be considered (this cannot be counted on!!)

Anyone heard back from Georgia? I got an email from the program 2 weeks ago asking if I was still interested.

I am a Mech. student, however I applied to the MSE program at Gtech and Stanford.

If you haven't heard from Stanford, you are rejected by now, since they have given their admissions out already. Although if someone changes his mind you might be considered (this cannot be counted on!!)

Anyone heard back from Georgia? I got an email from the program 2 weeks ago asking if I was still interested.

How do you know Stanford has already sent out their admits already for ME? Did you hear from Stanford and UCSD?

I was admitted to UCSB, University of Florida, CMU, and UCSD. I haven't heard from Berkeley or Northwestern yet. I was also admitted to UT Austin for electrical engineering, but they haven't told me anything about financial aid / funding yet.

Best of luck to everyone :)

This is an email that I have from MIT aero-astro administrator. She doesn't work for the MSE department, but you can use it as a guideline. I still haven't heard back from them. As the letter states, they boasted a decision by March 1st. That's 3 days away! I'm getting a bit nervous....

Dear Eric,

I'm writing to inform you that your Fall 2012 MIT Aero Astro graduate application is complete and ready for review. We have received all required materials.

Your application will now be reviewed by our admissions committee, and you will be notified of your decision no later than March 1, 2012.

Please let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

Best regards,

Beth Marois

Your posts are very comforting in my horrible wait. Keep the moral support flowing.

Applied 6:

Pending: Harvard, UPenn, Berkeley, Caltech, BU

Rejected: MIT

(GRE 800, 590, 4.5, Masters GPA: 4 Canadian, Undergrad GPA 3.2, 1 Patent)

• 2 weeks later...