Where are the PhD MSE Applicants for Fall 2012?

lkh5650

Alright, I've made some calls recently and here's what I've found out about various programs:

Berkeley: The person I talked to today said the department has just given her the go-ahead to start sending out emails. There are hundreds so they will be going out in the next couple days. Side note: this is 2012...shouldn't this process be automated by now?

Boston University: The person I got ahold of last week said that, due to a family emergency, the head of their admissions committe had to leave the country for an unspecified amount of time. The admissions decisions must wait for their return.

Colorado Mines: Their deadline for notifying accepted students is April 15. So, expect a decision by then.

Thanks schroedingersmeerkat, that was heaps useful. I heard from BU about admission, but they said financial aid decisions are yet to be made. A bit late for a school like Berkeley don't you think? I wish we had something to go on UPenn as well, they just send the same response everytime that they are still waiting on their first round admits to respond...

So you got BU? congrats if thats the case!

yeah i am not sure what is happening.

I will take Berkeley or upenn over UCSD in a heartbeat :(

did you guys see the survey posted about upenn? I hope that's not true :(

Edited by lkh5650

Thanks! It all depends on funding though.. and it was my safety...

I hope UPenn is not true too :-( my dream school.

But if Berkeley is mailing out enmasse, those are mostly rejects, sorry to be a raincloud :'(

But hey! UCSD is up there, I wouldn't worry if I were you!

This thread is so depressing. Why do people sound like it's such a big deal to get rejected from applying to highly competitive universities? There's nothing wrong with apply to less "name" schools whose programs are just as strong but aren't as well known to laypersons.

I already have a job offer, but I followed up with Colorado School of Mines and they said that all pending applications were forwarded to the review committee members to inquire about decisions. They graduate admissions coordinator has not heard back, and couldn't provide a decision date for me.

• 2 weeks later...