Wisconsin-Madison

Chuck

I thought I posted this already, but it doesn't seem to have appeared. I had my interview with UW yesterday. It really was just an informal interview to verify that my Spanish was good enough for teaching. It sounds like I'm pretty much accepted, but I have yet to receive any further information. I might be able to verify what Chuck said about the funding though. The person I spoke to said that the stipend for my program (Spanish/Portuguese, not Sociology) was around $10,000! Either she was mistaken, or funding at UW really is "atrocious." I also don't have my heart set on Wisconsin, but it would be a great program for my research interests.

Hey, so I'm not applying to sociology at Wisconsin, but I'm applying to history. Out of curiosity, on the MyUW webportal, did it ever change to anything else besides "pending" before you notified of whether you were accepted or not?

It seems no one who applied to history has heard yet, and just wondering if it's not boding well if I'm still seeing "pending" and that it's being reviewed by my committee, even though they apparently made decisions last Thursday and Friday....

I'd love any insight.

If that question's directed to me, I have clarify that I've still not been accepted. I was given an interview just to verify my Spanish and all signs point to acceptance, but I have yet to receive notification from the department or the Graduate School. My status on MyUW still says "pending."

If that question's directed to me, I have clarify that I've still not been accepted. I was given an interview just to verify my Spanish and all signs point to acceptance, but I have yet to receive notification from the department or the Graduate School. My status on MyUW still says "pending."

Thanks for getting back to me! It's definitely my top choice, and I'm always unsure with this technological business...history doesn't do interviews. All I know is that they met and decided last week. Guess that means they'll start around now putting it in the system?

Still no word from Madison after a wave of acceptances yesterday. Has anybody received their rejection emails? I'm still pending....no email.

Yeah.... Don't worry I'm still pending too. The wait is tough. And I just got dumped by my girlfriend too.... Woo hoo, good times!

Yeah.... Don't worry I'm still pending too. The wait is tough. And I just got dumped by my girlfriend too.... Woo hoo, good times!

Rough ANL... I hope things get better. I have pending on my app as well.

Still no word from Madison after a wave of acceptances yesterday. Has anybody received their rejection emails? I'm still pending....no email.

Sociograd... I'm thinking the same. Considering how many applied and how many were probably admitted this past week, I'm just waiting on a rejection letter at this point. :/

Edited by quantitative

Not that it's likely much consolation to anyone whose waiting, but my application status still says "pending" as well.

I don't think this is surprising though, because departments are required to submit their admitted candidates to the graduate school which reviews files to make sure they meet minimum entrance requirements. So, for any program at UW, there is going to be a time lag between when your department decides to admit you and when you are officially admitted by the University. I suppose it's possible that a more cautious department might wait to notify candidates until they are officially accepted by the university, but that doesn't appear to be the case with sociology.

Wish I had more for you all! I know the waiting can be agony. I can't imagine why Sociology wouldn't just send out all the letters at once, like they apparently did last year. :huh:

Chuck -

I've not attended UW, but I lived in Madison for several years and still have immediate family in the city. I can tell you the important things:

First, you have to get yourself some Babcock Hall ice cream. Best stuff on the planet.

Second, as much as you would like to, the zookeepers at the Henry Vilas Zoo will NOT let you pet Bucky the Badger. (This fact was a source of anger and frustration for me as a child. The one at the football games was nice, so why would the actual animal be any different?!)

Third, Madison is a great town...as long as you don't mind hellish winters.

Edited by lovenhaight

Sorry to hear about Madison. Did you apply to any other schools?

It happens. Just a bit disappointed to say the least as it was my other top choice. However, I'm in at my other top choice, so I can't really complain. Maybe it's for the best as I'm lactose intolerant. ;)

Is anybody else still waiting on Madison? There has been one day of acceptances and another of rejections/wait-lists. The total posted in the results survey this year already matches last year. I'm not sure what to think at this point.