how can a professor write you a LOR if she barely knows you?

child of 2

I've been doing research for a professor for more than 2 years. But she is a very busy professor, and the project I'm working on has progressed very slowly. Even though I was moved to a new project, I find it pathetic that after 2 years, I still haven't produced any results that are of any significance. I feel almost afraid to ask her for a LOR in the future, because looking back, I've done NOthing to impress her as an independent researcher, and this will probably hurt me.

Another thing that I've always wondered is that almost all undergrad research assistants report to some sort of middleman, who in turn reports to the professor. With this relationship, the professor can't really get to know the undergrad unless I visit her office hours a lot with questions from literature or something.

What are some good ways to let the professor get to know you more?

Here's my opinion

1. I wouldn't let lack of results discourage you. As an undergraduate, your potential is not basedon what you produce so much as your process. How do you approach research: do you ask good questions, find some way to test your ideas, execute in an orderly fashion, etc. Your professionaism (showing up, foillowing through, wiriting up results, critiquing ideas, etc.) demonstrates your abilities. Show ambition, curiosity, good technique, etc.

2. The second problemis harder. As an older, non-raditional student, I see that younger students often don't yet have the interpesonal skills, or the confidence (or the diesire?) to make themselves visible. Yes, you need to have some one-on-one time with professors to get really good LORs. That's a reality. You would find however that professors would be open to more time if you are good. If you ask an insightful question, show real desire, etc. As a whole (of course there are exceptions), these guys know the game and have seen hundreds of students come and go. So they know a good one when the see one. But taking this shot has risk - so if you go for more one on one time be prepared with something that will help your cause.

I've worked for a professor for over 5 years now and feel that I can help ease your concern a little.

1. Professors understand that research often moves slowly. And that sometimes issues come up that one cannot predict that result in delayed projects. The fact that you've worked for this person for 2 years and he/she moved you to ANOTHER project says a lot. I'm sure they could have just said they don't need you but instead trusted you to work on a different project.

2. I often serve as that middle person you spoke about. That means that I give my boss a lot of feedback on the person(s) reporting to me. Just because you have less interaction with the professor that you are working for than you'd like, and that is ideal, doesn't mean they don't know about you and your capabilities. If I were to give you any sort of advice I would suggest making sure you are doing the very best job you can do, and ask that middle person for feedback on your work. Make sure that person knows that you are a hard worker, smart, detail oriented (you wouldn't believe how many people aren't) and willing to do whatever is necessary to make the project a success. Team players really stand out. My guess is that if the person supervising you hasn't been giving regular updates about you (and that would be weird) that come letter time the professor will seek out this information from your supervisor. And honestly, professors deal with hundreds of students throughout their career. I feel certain they are able to quickly assess a person based on all of their experience.

Edited by slaNYC

As an undergrad I've always made it a point to see my professors during their office hours and talk over my research papers with them (ask for feedback and then actually rewrite my paper, stop in to ask them clarify a point in their lecture) and I also make it a point to say good morning to them when I see them around school (I also see them out and about, since I'm in a small college town). I also made myself known in class - I sit in the front and center and contribute to the discussions.

I also applied for a lot of scholarships and have approached them during my UG years for LORs for scholarships and other awards, so when it came time to apply to grad school I even got some professors offering to write me LORs without me asking them.

I agree with slaNYC though; some UGs don't bother or seem intimidated. I just treat my professors like regular people and they respond, just like regular people.

It feels weird to ask for a LOR at first but after awhile it becomes easier to ask for one.

I feel like everytime my professor asks the class a question, he's looking in my direction, like he wants me to speak. But I sit near the back with my friend, and I don't really want to talk. If I have questions, I like to ask at the end of the class period. That's just how I am.

I feel like everytime my professor asks the class a question, he's looking in my direction, like he wants me to speak. But I sit near the back with my friend, and I don't really want to talk. If I have questions, I like to ask at the end of the class period. That's just how I am.

You don't have to speak up in class but in order for anyone to write a LOR they do have to know you and your work enough to make any kind of statement. You could see your professors during their office hours - or most will say "by appointment" if you can't make it to those posted hours. Just stop in and chat, even if to say "I want to know where I stand in this class as far as grades go". You can also see them at campus events - talks hosted by the departments. Ask them how their day is, how their winter break was. Professors are still people too and they will respond if you take an interest in THEM also as people. Something as simple as a smile and "good morning" can help them remember YOU. That can be one way to "break the ice" and then you can ask them for help on your next paper, or help with finding sources or advice on what classes to take - anything, really. :)