Art History PhD Hopefuls: Any News?

cokohlik

I've had an interview along with some follow up emails. Besides that, nothing.

It seems like at this time last year more people had posted results. Strange!

jmb04, Did that happen to be UC Irvine? If so do you know if they were interviewing all students they are considering?

As for the question above. I received an acceptance to Graduate Theological Union's Art 7 Religion program but have heard nothing from my Art History applications to this point.

Good call for starting this thread cokohlik- Otherwise I would have just kept sitting and stewing. I wilt under the silent treatment in everyday life (seriously, I usually can hold out against the silent treatment for about 35 seconds before totally giving in- one miraculous time I withstood 40 minutes of the silent treatment before cracking under the pressure)- I definitely cannot take this LOOOONG silent treatment from schools. At least we can try and tell each other stuff (or not- since I don't have anything to tell yet?).

On a different note, does it seem to anyone else like some schools that usually do interviews earlier are lagging behind this year? Seems like Duke and UMich interviews usually pop up before now, but I haven't seem them on the results board. Not that I'm obsessing or anything.

Does anyone have an idea when NYU-IFA is supposed to schedule interviews with prospective PhD applicants? Also, if you realized a horribly embarrassing grammatical error/typo in your writing sample, is it worthwhile to draw attention to it in hopes of submitting a revised version or pray that professors are real people too and somehow forgive you for being an idiot? Finally, any information on when people have heard from Princeton, Stanford, Austin, Williams, and Yale in the past would be much appreciated. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

@jilly11, Do you know if NYU typically interviews all all potential admits?

@slacckkid89, I also applied to UChicago. Looking at the previous years it seems like they will likely do admits this week. The previous range has been Jan 30- Feb 5. But, of course that could be completely different this year.

I also find myself getting very anxious...it is really killing my focus I got an admit last week but won't find out about funding for several weeks so in some ways that doesn't help at all. I have three programs that could start letting people know as early as this week (going off past history) U Chicago, Temple, & UC Irvine. Historically some of my programs have acceptances as late as mid march...So, I likely will be struggling for a while. My last year has been tough and I would like to have an idea where my life is heading.

@Hicks - yes, it was for UC Irvine. All the professor said in the e-mail is that I was shortlisted and they wanted to interview me with some informal questions and also give me an opportunity to ask them anything. I'm not sure if they were interviewing everyone they were considering or if they just wanted to talk to "on-the-fence" applicants. When I asked about a timeline for hearing their final decisions, I was told February for initial acceptance, and March for financial offer.

@222 - I saw you asked about Austin. I think UT is reviewing MA applicants starting this week, and PhDs after that, though I don't know exactly how soon after.

@Hicks - it is unclear, based on my phone conversation, who exactly they interview! I assume they interview all potential candidates...but possibly interview more people than they actually accept (based on what I have read/heard)

I got my first acceptance yesterday, although it was from an architecture program with a specialization in history of architecture and urbanism and not an art history program. Needless to say, I'm thrilled, and I hope good news is on its way to everyone else!

@once - Congratulations! That is wonderful news and hopefully the first of many acceptances for you!

If it isn't too nosy, when we post acceptances/rejections, could we list the school to give others an idea of when they might be hearing as well?

Also, thanks to everyone above for responding to my question about NYU-IFA interviews.

Congratulations Once!! :D

For anyone wondering/worrying about late decisions from U of Toronto like I've heard rumors about, the GS says that PhD decisions will be out by end of February, and MA at the beginning of March.

Sigh, I really am trying to keep calm for sanity's sake, but I just keep seeing what seems like every other discipline receiving news and I'm just getting more and more nervous.

This is going to be quite an unstable next few weeks. :-/

I totally agree! The waiting is practically physically painful and just maddening. Hopefully February and the first couple weeks of March will fly by, slowing only for us to savor the wonderfulness of any happy decisions that come our way!

I feel like somebody is punching a hole through my stomach everytime I get an email notification on my phone. The sensation is possibly influenced by my recent discovery that if I don't have my car's timing belt replaced ASAP, a hole could be punched through my engine at any second. Ahhhhhh...so now I jump everytime my car or phone makes a noise! Sometimes this happens at the same time...*eye twitches*

Anybody want to claim the Yale acceptance on the results board? Congrats whoever it was!

Edit: it seems to have disappeared. Thats what I get for obsessively checking the results board. My apologies for potentially launching someone into a downward spiral of nerves (including myself)!

Edited by LLajax