Missed call from THAT area code

blinguistics

My phone was out of batteries yesterday. There was a mystery number on it when I plugged it in. As any reasonable (strange?) person does, I looked up the number on yellowpages.com reverse look up. The area code was from the school that I really want to attend, but there was no message! Was someone trying to contact me but not trying too hard?

With no voicemail, no new e-mails from the school and no update on the website... should I freak out? Would a more reasonable person assume that this is a telemarketer?

No freaking out! I would wait until monday morning, and call the number back! It's not uncommon for schools to call without emailing or anything else, but you won't know of it was really the school until you call. Best of luck.

I had a very similar experience. I was in class and my phone buzzed with THAT area code. I was unable to focus for the next 15 minutes before our break and then I ran out of the class and called the number back... simply a wrong number... it just so happens that one of my POIs likely has an area code the same as mine so any "wrong number" is going to freak me out.

It's almost Monday.

it happens to me two or three weeks ago, too.

I got calls from a few unknown numbers, and I search it on whocalled.us and other websites (thru google, of course). Turned out that the number is from the same area/state of the schools that I was invited for an interview, but not from the school.

i don't think you should be worried, simply for that fact that the schools almost always leave voicemail if you miss their calls... unless you have a pranking voicemail intro that longs for almost 2 minutes like mine....

So, I had something similar happen in January. Got a few missed calls from an area code unknown number. Never got a call from this area code ever! Googled it and it was from a city with one of my top choice schools. So of course, next time it called I answered. It was telemarketing. Sooooo cruel!

For my top choice school, I would have no doubt I missed an important call if their area code showed up on my phone. As for my second choice school (Columbia, and I live in NYC), I would probably ignore it immediately and let it go to voicemail.

wait, do you REALLY think that if you're accepted, and they can't reach you on the phone, they move on to the next person on the list?! Come on!

I'm joking, but secretly afraid that it's true... :blink:

I missed TWO calls from an undisclosed number, on Friday and Monday afternoon. Being in another country, it makes perfect sense that the number will be undisclosed, and that the call will get here in the afternoon, and that it won't be on Sat-Sun. All evidence show that it must have been one of the schools... (not!)

Of course I'm freaking out. Of course for no reason :-)

Nope. I called the number and no one answered. I also couldn't find it on google :(

I've never had a telemarketer OR a call from anywhere near this area code until this most tense waiting period.

Did you call during the working hours?

Alternativelly, you can check the phone number from the department/graduate school on the website and compare with the number...ehehhee

Missed a call yesterday while in a meeting. Check the caller ID and it is from my #1 school and there is voicemail! Begin freak out (hyperventilation, heart palpitations). Listen to said voicemail:

"Hi Jerzygrl. It's (unknown name) and I am calling about... (hold breath on the verge of passing out cold).... (Jerzygrl's daughter) to set up a playdate."

AHHHHHH! Talk about let down! This woman happen to call from her office near the University in question so same area code AND exchange. This is a long wait...

Missed a call yesterday while in a meeting. Check the caller ID and it is from my #1 school and there is voicemail! Begin freak out (hyperventilation, heart palpitations). Listen to said voicemail:

"Hi Jerzygrl. It's (unknown name) and I am calling about... (hold breath on the verge of passing out cold).... (Jerzygrl's daughter) to set up a playdate."

AHHHHHH! Talk about let down! This woman happen to call from her office near the University in question so same area code AND exchange. This is a long wait...

Oh that's just cruel!! I bet she's plotting with the University to make it as stressful as possible. Conspiracy theory, anyone? :ph34r:

:P

I'm pretty sure if my phone vibrates during class and it's one of those area codes, I will leap up and fly from the classroom like a retarded pigeon. At which point it will most certainly be a telemarketer or some such nonsense.

This is a long wait...

Understatement of the century. ;)