Sh*t people say when you are applying to grad school

Clou12

People keep telling me, "You'll get in somewhere."

For some reason that just makes me more frustrated and doesn't comfort me at all.

So since I have no time to make a video about this. Plus there like a million videos about what "people say" on YouTube. Care to share what people have been saying to you? Just for humor folks :D

4. You're so smart, of course you'll get in!

3. You'll get in because everyone knows the average American is an uneducated redneck, so there'll be no competition (hurrah for feel-good foreigner philosophy)

2. What's your Plan B?

And my personal favorite...

1. You know you can always teach highschool when you finish your English PhD.

Yup. I'm disturbed. Thank you for this thread.

Someone else said to me, "There is no money in education." Duh! I have spent 13 years in education, I think my bank account and I know that quite well.

Another goodie, "Are you sure you did everything you could on your apps?" I actually considered adding glitter in my FedEx envelope for my transcripts, but hopefully spending almost 6 months preparing for the GRE, 3 months on the statement and obsessing over my apps even AFTER I submitted should be enough. Well, I guess I could have sent a musical card too. :P

1. "You spent all day on your applications? You're still not finished?"

2. "And what are you going to do when you're done?" (absolutely no one cares about what I'll do when I'm there)

3. "But are there any things you could do with that in the world?" <--this person would not listen to me until I started talking about music therapy, which is luckily a genuine interest of mine, albeit still on the research side of things.

4. "Oh, you got accepted to [unfunded master's at a name brand school]? WOW CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!" vs. "Oh, you got accepted to [a top-ranked doctoral program with full funding for five years but much less local name recognition]? That's nice!"

:P

Edited by snes

my favorite reaction: "oh"... (long silence)... "well, good luck" ... (silence) ..."you know that these programs are very competitive?!"

aaaaaaargh!!!!!!!

I know! That hurts...

+"Maybe you should also consider these schools... there are many decent programs out there..."

2. How long is grad school (Ph.D.) gonna take? two years?

My husband is insistent that a PhD shouldn't take longer than 3-4 years. I laughed at him and told him to wait till I got to that stage and just see.

(for the record he will never go for a PhD and his dad took 9 years so I'm not sure where he got that statistic.)

"You're so precious! I'm sure you'll get in!"

What adult wants to be called precious? Seriously? I know I'm short but I'm not a child.

my favorite reaction: "oh"... (long silence)... "well, good luck" ... (silence) ..."you know that these programs are very competitive?!"

Ugh, yes. I got that from one or two people, while everyone else has no idea how competitive these programs are. Susie Q Sample down the block got into graduate school on her first try!

"Scared of getting a real job, huh?"

This one really gets my goat.

4. "Oh, you got accepted to [unfunded master's at a name brand school]? WOW CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!" vs. "Oh, you got accepted to [a top-ranked doctoral program with full funding for five years but much less local name recognition]? That's nice!"

LOL, I got this one a lot...they also say " I've never heard of this school " even though this school is in UC system. Give me a break people!