Sh*t people say when you are applying to grad school

Clou12

I get asked about location too. The school I want to go to is on the other coast, and people always say it's too far.. but honestly it doesn't seem that far to me. It is, geographically, but I can easily fly back and my family's so dispersed as it is that it's not as though there's one place where everyone is.

It bugs me though, people don't realize that sometimes you NEED to branch out!

I gt that all the time. People always act like its another country and are surprised that I didn't apply anywhere on this coast.

"RELAX. You'll get in everywhere!"

My least favorite line ever

This must be the most frustrating one to hear (especially after the rejection they don't know about lol)! They mean well.....or do they?????

We have strong disagreements in terms of what counts as evidence, the significance of evidence in these contexts, its significance in history-making in general, the relationship between "objectivity" and "subjectivity," and other things. And, indeed, we're not even in the same field, and that fact obviously has manifested itself in our positions---not only in what our positions are but how we take them, why, and what we see as the end of taking them. The matter of expertise is disempowering in this context, for us both (this phenomenon is part of what I study). Just a note: I never disagreed with the prominence of Egyptian sources as an influence... but, come on... you're doing Egyptian history---of course you're gonna think that! :)

Glad to have the discussion.

Sure, I admit that I have research biases, but that doesn't mean I'm not also open to other points of view. I just want the evidences that I'm presented with to be sufficient, valid, and plausible. I don't think that's unreasonable. Quite frankly, I'd rather debate with you, someone who has a reasoned hypothesis, than what I normally get, i.e., "Aren't the pyramids giant alien landing pads?" Egyptologists tend to attract lunatics. :lol:

Sure, I admit that I have research biases, but that doesn't mean I'm not also open to other points of view. I just want the evidences that I'm presented with to be sufficient, valid, and plausible. I don't think that's unreasonable. Quite frankly, I'd rather debate with you, someone who has a reasoned hypothesis, than what I normally get, i.e., "Aren't the pyramids giant alien landing pads?" Egyptologists tend to attract lunatics. :lol:

Oh my goodness- I was working a research assistant job once when this crazy man came into the department, insisting a professor would talk to him. He was insisting that he had discovered a map to the holy grail in his grandfather's attic and he needed a professor to help him decipher it. He was just wondering around the department building until someone responded to him (tried to giev his spiel to me, but I was a lowly work-study and therefore not helpful for secret-message deciphering, duh ^_^ ) Finally, one of the professors sat him down in her office and gave him a what-for. We all strained to try and hear her impressive setting down. We get lots of crazies in art history too. :lol:

Oh my goodness- I was working a research assistant job once when this crazy man came into the department, insisting a professor would talk to him. He was insisting that he had discovered a map to the holy grail in his grandfather's attic and he needed a professor to help him decipher it. He was just wondering around the department building until someone responded to him (tried to giev his spiel to me, but I was a lowly work-study and therefore not helpful for secret-message deciphering, duh ^_^ ) Finally, one of the professors sat him down in her office and gave him a what-for. We all strained to try and hear her impressive setting down. We get lots of crazies in art history too. :lol:

I love this. So much!!!

I was talking to my aunt and my mom about how nervous and anxious I was to get my decisions back. I was also telling my aunt about my first choice program (at a state school), but how I was worried that I probably wouldn't get in because it is pretty competitive.

Aunt: Well I'm sure you will get in, everybody gets into state schools.

Me: Yea some state schools are pretty easy to get into for undergrad, but its different for grad school. This program has higher admission standards than a lot of the other places I applied.

Aunt: No, it's a state school, you pretty much just have to apply.

hahaha, if only it were that simple.

Love this. Unsurprisingly, a lot of jabs come from the clueless folks that are near and dear to us. Cheers to all the laymen out there!

Crazies make the world a more entertaining place

My mom on my rejection from a PhD program that could only accept 1% of applicants this year: "Well, it's probably because you don't have enough experience." (I did, however, get a first wave acceptance from a great masters program.)

Adding to the "explaining what you do" conversation, people are always asking me what my husband actually does. He's got a PhD in Astrophysics/Cosmology. I tell them that he does stuff with equations and writes computer programs to do calculations based on data from galaxy surveys in order to understand properties of the early universe. :) I think people wish they hadn't asked....or (since he works with NASA) want to talk about how their friend in the military told them that aliens really DO exist...

I don't know if it's much better when I tell people that one of my research interests is the role of modern Arab literature as a political force in the Middle East, as seen through postcolonial and feminist paradigms.

I texted my dad to tell him I got an acceptance + TAship. He asked how much they were offering & I told him 9k. To which he replied "HOLY SHIT!"

Really? I wasn't sure how to respond to that, but turns out he thinks that it's a great deal. Not sure 9k warrants a "holy shit!" even if it's just a master's, but okay dad. I appreciate the enthusiasm. :)

I texted my dad to tell him I got an acceptance + TAship. He asked how much they were offering & I told him 9k. To which he replied "HOLY SHIT!"

Really? I wasn't sure how to respond to that, but turns out he thinks that it's a great deal. Not sure 9k warrants a "holy shit!" even if it's just a master's, but okay dad. I appreciate the enthusiasm. :)

Aw man, I tried to upvote this but I reached my quota for today :(

This is hilarious!! Your dad sounds awesome! :lol:

So what are you doing right now?

I've just finished my Master's.

So you're going to find a job now?

No, I've applied to do my PhD in Cognitive Neuroscience

Cognitive what? That has something to do with the brain right? (lay people really get a sense of pride from that keen observation).

Um, yes....*facepalm*

So what can do with that? Become a psychologist? Can you like, ANALYZE ME? :o

NO (exacerbated). I will do research on how the brain works.

What do you mean?

Never mind..... :wacko:

This used to happen at my undergrad quite frequently. People would wander in off the streets with paintings they'd found in Grandma's attic and were convinced were priceless Old Masters, looking for a professor to give them an appraisal. They would promptly be shown the door. Go pay an appraiser to look at your great-uncle's crazy doodles! We're not Antiques Roadshow, people!!!

After being rejected from Harvard, mother says: "Oh no, NOW how will you ever find a good and smart husband?"

Not like I was getting my PhD just for my MRS degree, but thank you mother for having faith in the men at the schools I was accepted into? And wait, what does that say about me in your eyes? O.o?!?!

After being rejected from Harvard, mother says: "Oh no, NOW how will you ever find a good and smart husband?"

Not like I was getting my PhD just for my MRS degree, but thank you mother for having faith in the men at the schools I was accepted into? And wait, what does that say about me in your eyes? O.o?!?!

Tell her not to worry and that you're on gradcafe & you'll score you a harvard man yet!

Facepalm!

My mother on being informed that I've been accepted to my top choice school: "That's good. So you're going to move?"

My thought bubble: No, mom. I'm just going to telepathically absorb the coursework for my degree from 3,300 miles away! Good grief.

My mother on being informed that I've been accepted to my top choice school: "That's good. So you're going to move?"

My thought bubble: No, mom. I'm just going to telepathically absorb the coursework for my degree from 3,300 miles away! Good grief.

Maybe mom doesn't want to see you move so far away, from the loving embrace of family?

Maybe mom doesn't want to see you move so far away, from the loving embrace of family?

At the moment, I am already 2500 miles from my family and actually will be moving closer to them this fall when I start my MS program. It's hard to describe my mom. She just asks questions that I perceive to be strange. Lol.

Response from partner to first rejection: "they're a bunch of assholes there anyway."

Me: "they were pretty nice about it."

Partner: "I hate them."

Perfect support system. B)

That's a keeper!