Sh*t people say when you are applying to grad school

Clou12

I would like to preface this by saying I am a first generation college student, so the whole grad school thing is a bit new to most people in my family. (I love them immensely and know that they ultimately mean well)

Aunt: What are you planning to do after you graduate?

Me: I plan on going to school for a masters.

Aunt: So wait, you are going back to school?

Me: Pretty much!

Aunt: If you are going BACK to school, what's the point of graduating from the one you are at?

Me: "......" {lost for words}

Oh man, I feel you on this one. It can be kinda tough being a first generation college student - studies show the lack of understanding from family can hinder progress big time. They mean well but since they've never navigated it before we have to rely on the school to provide a good amount of support and help with bureaucratic things.

My mom is a very intelligent woman but still seems confused about what grad school is, what the point is, and the difference between masters and doctoral degrees. Proud either way, though!

Them: What are you applying for? 

me: Speech Pathology

Them: Oh...yeah that's rather difficult...and competitive

me (in my head): No really, I had no freaking idea!!!!! Thanks for the enlightenment! :angry:

me (out loud): Yes, yes it is

It's also annoying when people don't understand how awesome it is to receive a graduate school interview. It's like a little victory in and of itself. I completely freaked out and told my non-college friends that I got not one, but TWO interviews so far and they did not understand how difficult even that is. I feel like people assume it's similar to applying for a job where you are competing against a small pool of people. I've tried explaining how fortunate I am and they still act like it's a given that I get interviewed. I give up with trying to make my case. Lol.

I think the biggest thing is that people don't understand that American Studies is a separate program -- they all seem to be under the impression that it's a concentration. So when I talk about things that I plan to study, I get interrupted by confused questions like, "But I thought you were going to major in American Studies?" I think my favorite of all comments, however, is probably the multiple-times-heard, "But you're already an American." I think they may have my program mixed up in their minds with studying for citizenship!