Hunter MSW fall 2012

Emellen980

Hi everyone! Just checking in to see if anyone's applied to Hunter for fall 2012 admission and if you've heard back about an interview, and if so, when? My application was complete as of 1/5/12 but I've yet to hear back about an interview. Just want to see if other people who applied around the same time have already heard back about an interview or not.

Man, this waiting game is torture!

Hi - I applied to Hunter on 12/2 and haven't heard about an interview yet. Application is complete on their website. I'm hoping to hear soon! I know several other people who submitted their application in late November or early December and they haven't heard anything either, so it looks like Hunter may just be slower in reviewing applications.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. My application was submitted around Christmas, but one of my recommendation letters wasn't received until 1/11. I was notified of an interview today. Mine is on 2/24! I'm so nervous! I'm gonna go nuts after this interview!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I have a question for all of the Hunter applicants from out of state: has anyone arranged to have their interview done over Skype? I was invited to interview, but tickets from my city (in Texas) to NY cannot be found for cheaper than $500. I emailed them back and asked them about a Skype interview, but haven't heard back. I hope it's not bad form to ask for this kind of special arrangement. :unsure: Any thoughts?

Edited by kajeta

In my experiece, it has been pretty dificult to get anyone on the phone at Hunter. Perhaps they're swamped? I'm still waiting to hear back as well.

Hello! I know their phone system was down for about a week and they were behind entering information in their systems.

Hi everyone! Just checking in to see if anyone's applied to Hunter for fall 2012 admission and if you've heard back about an interview, and if so, when? My application was complete as of 1/5/12 but I've yet to hear back about an interview. Just want to see if other people who applied around the same time have already heard back about an interview or not.

I applied on 1/14, and was invited for an interview on 2/8. I heard back with an acceptance email exactly 1 week later. They seem to move quickly once that initial invitation is sent out. Good luck to you!!! If you want my stats or info about the interview just ask I can try and help :)

I'm still waiting to hear back from Hunter... for those who got interviews, do you mind sharing your stats?

Hello, here are some stats of mine:

Undergraduate: BS in Computer and Web Programming, Fordham University RH 2004

GPA: 3.5

Work experience: Fortune 500 sales exec/IT Network Architecture background - 5 years

Social work experience: Volunteering at a crisis center in NYC, working with suicidal/mentally ill/depressed individuals. 10 hours/week for 1 year.

LOR - Chair of CS department at Fordham, CTO of previous company, co-worker at current company.

I am a career changer so I have the corporate/diverse background thing working for me. Without that, I probably would not have been considered with my social work experience (lack there of) alone. Not sure if this helps, but best of luck to you!!!

I just got invited for an interview and I am thrilled! Would anyone who had an interview mind sharing their experience or thoughts about the whole process? Thanks :)

Sure, I interviewed last year. My interview was a faculty member and 10 or so prospective students sitting around a table. We all introduced ourselves and said a few words about our backgrounds, then the professor presented questions to the group. I can't recall specifics, but questions were things like, "What made you want to go into the social work field?", questions about diverse populations, ethical dilemmas ("What would you do if you were working at a homeless shelter at night and someone wants to come in out of the cold, but you can tell he's drunk and it's against the shelter's policy to let him stay?"), how you would adjust to living in NYC if you're from elsewhere, that kind of thing. You can volunteer to answer questions, and some people in my interview spoke quite a bit, others very little. I was really surprised/intimidated by how diverse and accomplished my interview group was (only one girl right out of undergrad, several working professionals, one with a previous Masters degree, etc.). It was actually sort of fun and conversational, and neat for me to hear where the other applicants were coming from. In terms of tips, make sure that you answer questions, but don't dominate the conversation, and acknowledge other people's comments in your responses. I have a feeling that a lot of what they're looking for is interpersonal competency.

My application was completed by Jan 1st but my last recommender didn't submit until Feb 2nd. I got the invite to an interview on the 21st, had my interview on March 1st and got my acceptance the very next day!

The interview is very laid back, more of a conversation. We only had one question that was a social work scenario, and the rest was mostly about the Hunter program itself and our own interests. Good luck everyone!

Does anyone know the percentage of students who are accepted after the Hunter interview? I've looked online, but there doesn't seem to be something they've published or something available on grad school forums. Thanks!

Looks like the due date for the deposit is March 20th - at least that's what my letter said.

Mine didn't say anything, I looked at least 5 times. Says, " Please note that you will not be able to pay your commitment deposit until March 19, 2012."

Does anyone know the percentage of students who are accepted after the Hunter interview? I've looked online, but there doesn't seem to be something they've published or something available on grad school forums. Thanks!

Looks like 35%.

http://mswprograms.c...ceptance-rates/

Edited by arcoventry

I think my question was worded poorly - sorry. I know 35% is the acceptance rate, but what is acceptance rate after going through the interview? Are you more or less likely to get in after the interview? What is admissions really looking for at that point? Thanks for all the input/help.

For those accepted into Hunter's program, about how long after the interview does it take to hear back? I know the said up to 3 weeks, but that seems like such a long time! Also, does the final decision come in the mail or email? Thanks!

Just found out that I was accepted into Hunter's 2 year program (CODP concentration)! I interviewed on 3/12, so you don't actually need to wait that long after interviews (thankfully)!

Edited by az1