University of Minnesota Twin Cities

Louiselab

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too! I'm accepted to the program in Comparative Studies in Discourse and Society, but not sure if I will attend. Small stipend, though it's a great fit. I've heard it's one of the most nurturing and intellectually vibrant places to be, though.

Anyone else accepted to CSDS? I saw one other admit post on the results page. Please get in touch if so!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know anything about the cost of living in Minneapolis? Good areas to look in, how expensive housing is, etc? I do have a partner so we would be looking for a small house/condo to ourselves within 20 min. driving distance of the University. I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools, but there is a good chance I will accept my offer at Minnesota.

Does anyone know anything about the cost of living in Minneapolis? Good areas to look in, how expensive housing is, etc? I do have a partner so we would be looking for a small house/condo to ourselves within 20 min. driving distance of the University. I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools, but there is a good chance I will accept my offer at Minnesota.

Look in the city guide - a lot of the info is there

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=246

Hi everyone, I'm in for the Creative Writing MFA in fiction. I'm going to their prospectives weekend 3/26-3/28, and I'm really excited. I've never been to Minneapolis or really anywhere in the Midwest before.

About where to live---have you been given access to the admitted student portal yet? There are some really great resources there about the areas where students tend to live.

No, I haven't been given access to the admitted student protal yet. Do you have to accept the offer before they give you access? I'm trying to get all the information I can about the University, department and city BEFORE I decide which offer to accept (I'm also still waiting on new from a few schools).

I haven't accepted the offer yet, either. It did take a few weeks after I was notified before I got the email inviting me to the portal. You'll probably get it soon. It's kind of neat : )

Does anyone know if the minute you select 'yes' if they require you to pay the deposit?

what do you mean by deposit? i suppose i don't need to pay anything. though, i didn't accept their offer yet.

Still haven't heard from 2 schools so don't know for sure if I'm coming here, but I am flying to visit next week.

While there, my husband and I are house-hunting. And believe me, coming from a major city, the prices there look AMAZINGLY cheap.

The city also looks like a really nice place- I am excited to visit and see it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in MN right now! It's really nice, everyone is super friendly, and we've had some amazing food here- two recommendations so far- SpoonRiver for a nice night out (new american cuisine- lots of vegetarian options) and Quang's for some of the best Vietnamese/Pho I've had in a long time :)

Renting a car might not be a bad idea, esp if the U is putting you up in the Holiday Inn (which we've loved). The buses don't run as often as we're used to, and we wish we were more able to explore the cities. We haven't even seen St. Paul!

I wish that I had been offered funding at UMN--I love the city (though it is pretty cold) and it's really amazingly affordable. And medianerd, I know what you mean about vegetarian options; some places, it's so difficult for me to find anything to eat, but not here. St. Paul wasn't as nice, though, or at least that was my impression.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use