University of Minnesota Twin Cities

Louiselab

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm visiting next weekend, and have to say... I never in a million years thought I would be excitedly saying to everyone I see, "Soooo, I'm going to Minnesota next weekend!!!" I'm from the East Coast, and so to me and everyone I know the Midwest and Minnesota is very unknown and I have repeatedly heard "rent is HOW MUCH?!"

I'm in your boat, NYCer going to Minnesota. It wasn't until I visited, that I felt more comfortable with moving out to the Midwest. I just hope I'm able to get a good placement post-grad and will be able to move back East.

I'm in your boat, NYCer going to Minnesota. It wasn't until I visited, that I felt more comfortable with moving out to the Midwest. I just hope I'm able to get a good placement post-grad and will be able to move back East.

It's hard being from the East Coast, especially New York. I've grown up referring to the Midwest as "flyover states," which I'm sure is not too uncommon within the NE region... Since my family arrived on these shores from their impoverished, Mediterranean hovels we've stuck close to the City and never dreamed of going westward. Who would have thought it might not be that bad? I keep envisioning that I'll be like Dorothy in a sea of Rose Nylunds. And although everyone talks about Minnesotans being nice, I would still say New Yorkers are extremely friendly people.

Hi cardnav,

I just got accepted into the Management OB PhD program, so we could very well be down the hall from one another. I live in Seattle, WA and am still waiting to hear back from a few programs around the U.S. Seems that in this economy, everyone wants to stay in schools, but schools are especially limited in giving out offers to potential applicants. I think we'll be seeing an interesting job market in five years when we graduate.

----

Accepted: 1

Waiting: 4

Rejected: 6

Hi cardnav,

I just got accepted into the Management OB PhD program, so we could very well be down the hall from one another. I live in Seattle, WA and am still waiting to hear back from a few programs around the U.S. Seems that in this economy, everyone wants to stay in schools, but schools are especially limited in giving out offers to potential applicants. I think we'll be seeing an interesting job market in five years when we graduate.

It's very possible and if that's the case you can recognize be by my login name tatooed prominently across my forehead.

This is going to sound like a dumb , but the Management PhD seems like it would be in the Carlson School. If that's the case, it may be more likely that we are in the same classes.

I'm doing my undergrad here, and I grew up in the Twin Cities area, so I'm pretty comfortable around campus. After Chicago, I'd say the Twin Cities is one of the most expensive rent areas in the Midwest, although it's low even compared to smaller towns out East. I'm currently paying $1100/month for a small-ish two bedroom that's a 10 minute walk from campus, although this is a particularly good deal for any sort of apartment within 20 minutes of campus (walking). You can find houses and apartments for quite a bit less if you go out toward St. Paul.

The biggest thing to remember is that the winters are not THAT bad. It gets a little tiring around this time of year, and there are some gloomy below-zero weeks in mid-January, but in general it's pretty easy to deal with. People here know how to drive in snow and ice so traffic doesn't back up for the whole winter. Campus and the downtown area are both well connected by tunnels and skyways, so if you can't bear to go outside you can get by with a quick dash between the occasional building and still get to class/work/lab and out to dinner. Bus service is quite good around rush hour times (express buses usually beat the commuter traffic because they pass on the shoulder), but the service frequency really drops off on weekends. There is also a good campus bus service that gets you between the Minneapolis and St. Paul (ag., ecology, and a few other departments) campuses, as well as between the common residence areas and DInkytown (a nice grouping of restaurants, shops, and bars/clubs North of campus).

I hope you'll all consider coming - I've really enjoyed it here and I'm sad to be leaving this Fall.

The history one was in the social sciences building, the shorter fatter of the two tall west bank buildings. We went through Carlson to see the the Starbucks! Apparently this is a major draw for the graduate students. I liked the east bank a lot more, and did you see one of the older libraries over there? it was beautiful!

Anyone joining BME in UMN this fall.......have u accepted the offer yet? when is the deadline to accept the offer......i am a waitlistee and have been checking emails a million times a day.....please reject the offer if u have made up you mind about joining some other school......thank u !!!

Hey hey hey now. Just because you're a grad student at Minnesota doesn't mean you have to be a Gopher. There's three things I'll always keep in mind as a grad student at Minnesota.

1) Maroon is an ugly color.

2) Gopher hockey fans are assholes

3) Their M is the wrong shape

Where you go, Go Blue...

Now for the important question:

Who's buying the hoodie?

purchased on clearance whilst i was visiting. that's how much i loved the school when i visited. And that gopher is pretty damn cute.

Hey hey hey now. Just because you're a grad student at Minnesota doesn't mean you have to be a Gopher. There's three things I'll always keep in mind as a grad student at Minnesota.

1) Maroon is an ugly color.

2) Gopher hockey fans are assholes

3) Their M is the wrong shape

Where you go, Go Blue...

While I would usually agree, and yes the M's style does irritate me ever so slightly, but my undergraduate institution had no athletics to speak of, we didn't really have a mascot, and this "school spirit" did not exist.

So it's very foreign and exotic right now.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use