University of Minnesota Twin Cities

Louiselab

When I got accepted I began checking the weather for the Twin Cities...

...I stopped after a couple of weeks because it was too depressing.

Check it now! It's been 60s and sunny there while here in DC it's been 40s and rainy for 2 days straight!! What the heck?!?!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I saw that. The weather there seems to be all kinds of strange.

Just wait for the sweltering heat and humidity in the summer...you'll have no idea what the hell is going.

FYI, The Orientation website finally updated the dates for orientation.

Not exactly the most exciting programing options, but it'd probably be a good idea to attend.

http://www.ofyp.umn.edu/gradstudents/or/index.html

I don't know about you, but the lunch sounds good... assuming, of course, that it's free. I've been told to plan on going to the state fair in late August, apparently it's quite thrilling.

I don't know about you, but the lunch sounds good... assuming, of course, that it's free. I've been told to plan on going to the state fair in late August, apparently it's quite thrilling.

It's "free". From the website it looks like you have to pay $50 for orientation. Ah, the joys of going to a state school.

No ozone warnings, as far as I know.

No matter what you get charged an orientation fee, though it might be the kind of thing your department covers if you get tuition remission (I doubt it, but it's possible). It's kind of crap, because I won't be able to make a single orientation event with my department's orientation and qualifying exams.

As for rent in the city, I don't know what the undergrad poster was smoking when he/she went apartment hunting. I lived in the cities years ago and now that I'm moving back I've been looking. It's definitely not on par with Chicago. Yes, it's more expensive than many midwest cities, but what else is in that category, La Crosse?

There are some beautiful spots to live in that are quite affordable (though perhaps not right next to campus). Oh Twin Cities, how I love thee so.

I have a question maybe someone else who is attending can help....I never received need-based financial aid notification from Minnesota (ie loans and whether I'm eligible for federal work study). I did get one for another school I was accepted to though. Did anyone get this info from MN??

I have a question maybe someone else who is attending can help....I never received need-based financial aid notification from Minnesota (ie loans and whether I'm eligible for federal work study). I did get one for another school I was accepted to though. Did anyone get this info from MN??

I do not think you will receive anything until they finalize the Minnesota College System tuition rates. I am not sure when exactly this is decided. You can log into the MyU Portal though and enter you login info to see what the status of your financial aid decision is though. I believe the eFAAN notice is what you want. Here is a link for to the page explaining this :

http://onestop.umn.edu/finances/financial_aid/award_acceptance/

To check where you financial aid status is currently at, simply click "Financial Aid Status" on the right side of the page and then enter in your U of MN ID and password (usually what you use to login to your U of MN email).

Hope this helps!

I do not think you will receive anything until they finalize the Minnesota College System tuition rates. I am not sure when exactly this is decided. You can log into the MyU Portal though and enter you login info to see what the status of your financial aid decision is though. I believe the eFAAN notice is what you want. Here is a link for to the page explaining this :

http://onestop.umn.edu/finances/financial_aid/award_acceptance/

To check where you financial aid status is currently at, simply click "Financial Aid Status" on the right side of the page and then enter in your U of MN ID and password (usually what you use to login to your U of MN email).

Hope this helps!

Yes! Thank you so much :)

Of course I got the following message :lol:

Wait . . . your financial aid is under review. You will receive an e-mail notice in your University e-mail account when your awards are available for your online response.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll take it as it comes. I'm actually in Minneapolis right now (for the next two days) apartment shopping, then I'll be moving in around the first. I'm excited/terrified, to be honest.

I'm the exact same way psyched/nervous. I'd recommend uptown. Seems like an older crowd, diverse, vibrant area. I've been here for about a month now and and live a block away from loring park/walker art museum. so far, love the city.

I'm the exact same way psyched/nervous. I'd recommend uptown. Seems like an older crowd, diverse, vibrant area. I've been here for about a month now and and live a block away from loring park/walker art museum. so far, love the city.

Yeah, I've been looking uptown. Celeste reccomended Uptown, so that's where I'm looking I'll have a lease by the end of the day.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use