Stay for PhD or leave with Masters?

mjstreet

I'm a grad student in analytical chemistry, and I'm in my second year. I am not the typical grad student, though, because I am supporting a wife (who is a stay at home mom) and two kids. I am currently receiving 30k a year because of a fellowship, but it will soon go down to 22k per year. It feels like a stretch living on my current salary, and I am wondering if I can make it on less. The other problem that I have is that I don't like my work situation and am looking for an out (I have practically no contact with my advisor, and I'm never sure what I should be doing or if I am making progress). I could leave now with a Master's and try to find a job, or I could try to stick this out and finish the PhD. Advice, anyone? Is the PhD worth it? Also, I have heard rumors that it is HARDER to find work with a PhD because it puts you in a higher pay bracket and because the market is saturated. Anyone know if this is true?

I currently work in industry with a bachelor's degree and can say that if all you wanted was a master's, you would have been better off not wasting your time on it. A PhD is a much better value than a master's in industry. Yes, a PhD puts you in a higher pay bracket, but a PhD will pay you back a lot better and faster than a master's degree. If it's only 3 more years, I'd stick it out and not put your last 2 to waste. In my opinion, better to take out loans if you need them, because you should be able to pay them back with your PhD salary. Maybe your wife can get creative and start childcare for other working parents to help supplement your income?

I will say that I am an undergraduate, but when I worked in industry for a brief time, in the long run, people with PhD's were those in higher positions and it was easier for them to advance.

Also, there are a lot of opportunities for stay-at-home moms. For instance, I've taken a job as a "search engine evaluator" with Google--

Go look up forums for Work at Home Moms-- there's a lot of opportunity for supplement income if she's willing to work.

Salt Lake-- I'm assuming there's a bit of work out there part-time as well. Have you talked to your advisors about continuing your fellowship?

I know it seems hard now, but if you are able to see this through, a PhD will pay off in the long run. May I ask, why did your fellowship drop to 22K? I worked in industry for 4 years as a Process Analytical Chemist. I also recruited new hires for my company, and I can attest that a MS is viewed just like a BS in industry. Also, the work in industry is not glamorous or exciting, or challenging for that matter. I have a friend from undergrad who is in a PhD program at Purdue; eventhough, she is continuing on with her PhD and passed all of her qualifyers, she participated in a MS graduation ceremony to be awarded a MS, even though she is still enrolled as a full time PhD student. Getting awarded this MS can open doors, because it will allow you to teach at Jr. Colleges to pick up extra money, and teach summer school in the local public school system to get some extra cash. That is what one of my friends did when he was in graduate school, he just sat down w/ his PI and asked if there were any openings where he could get work study, or get some extra cash. He also, and I am not saying you have to, sent his wife and his two small kids to live with her parents. This allowed him to concentrate on his task of finishing his studies, rather than worrying about the welfare of his family. He pulled it off, and make 100K+ at my old company, has a live in nanny, and his kids are doing great. Just hold on, and see it thorough. I know it just sounds like words now, but you and your wife will laugh at this experience some day in the future. God speed.

I have kind of the same problem. I'm an Italian student. Right after I finished my BS in Italy I applied for a PhD in the states. I recently figured out that for personal problems I can't be there for all the duration of a PhD. Now I know I was accepted for a PhD program and I want to switch in a MS.

Can I switch into a MS from PhD? And when is the best timing for doing it? Would they refuse my admission if I ask them now, before my official admission, to switch?

P.S. I'm only 23 so maybe I can do my PhD later in my life. Is it possible? Is it so bad to not do a PhD at my age?

I have kind of the same problem. I'm an Italian student. Right after I finished my BS in Italy I applied for a PhD in the states. I recently figured out that for personal problems I can't be there for all the duration of a PhD. Now I know I was accepted for a PhD program and I want to switch in a MS.

Can I switch into a MS from PhD? And when is the best timing for doing it? Would they refuse my admission if I ask them now, before my official admission, to switch?

P.S. I'm only 23 so maybe I can do my PhD later in my life. Is it possible? Is it so bad to not do a PhD at my age?

If you haven't even started your program yet, I would say don't bother starting now. If you aren't ready to pursue a PhD right now, just take a job in industry until you're ready to go back to school for a PhD. Getting a master's now and PhD later would just waste the time (and income you could be earning) while you earn a master's degree, since a master's won't get you a more prestigious or better paying job than a master's. If you went through with just a master's degree now, you'd be losing money in the long run.

I need an American degree to be able to work in the States, where my girlfriend is. That's why I wanted anyway to do it.

It's not a problem of money. I just wanted to figure out if it's possible to switch program and when it's the best time to do that.

I need an American degree to be able to work in the States, where my girlfriend is. That's why I wanted anyway to do it.

It's not a problem of money. I just wanted to figure out if it's possible to switch program and when it's the best time to do that.

Ah, okay. I guess this would depend on whether the school you want to attend accepts students on a "master's-only" type track. At the school where I did undergrad, you would just complete a master's degree and leave if you didn't pass your PhD qualifying exams. If the school allows you to enter with the intention of only pursuing a master's, I guess you could tell them now (not sure, though). Otherwise, I'd wait til later I think.