Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

Middlebury Summer Programs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ReallyNiceGuy

ReallyNiceGuy

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Program:History

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

How many people on here have attended a Middlebury Summer program?
Those who have- could you please discuss your experiences?

I can't wait to attend this summer.
*sorry if this is not exactly grad school related

Edited by ReallyNiceGuy, 03 February 2012 - 10:12 PM.

#2 pelevinfan

pelevinfan

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationIllinois
  • Program:Fulbright ETA; Slavic PhD Fall 2012

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:50 PM

I attended Middlebury for Russian. I don't really know what you mean by 'discuss your experiences' - can you ask something more specific? If you're just asking for confirmation that it is exciting and awesome and worth it, it is.
Decision: Yale!

#3 ReallyNiceGuy

ReallyNiceGuy

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Program:History

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:12 AM

I'm also going for Russian this summer.
I've heard nothing but positive things about this program and I can't wait to participate.

Since you asked for "more specific?"
1) What was your favorite part of the program?
2) How much did you improve over that period of time?
3) Did you attend more than one summer?

Thanks!

#4 pelevinfan

pelevinfan

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationIllinois
  • Program:Fulbright ETA; Slavic PhD Fall 2012

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:45 AM

I will actually most likely be attending again this summer, so I suppose we'll meet in person!

1) My favorite part of the program was really just speaking in Russian 100% of the time. I can't even tell you how much my Russian improved. It was really exciting to actually feel progress being made literally EVERY day. I came in at a pretty low level, and left being able to carry on a conversation.

2) I guess my previous response answers that. To put it in perspective though, I officially skipped a year of college Russian, and then breezed through my third year class.

3) If I attend this summer, it will be my second one.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. I feel uncomfortable giving out too many personal details on a public forum, but would be happy to tell you more about the program.
Decision: Yale!

#5 profev

profev

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Application Season:Already Attending

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

Did anyone get a scholarship to attend? I've browsed their website and they seem to have some funding opportunities available. For those of you that have received such funding, do you have any advice for those applying? I am looking to attend in the summer of 2013.

Thanks in advance!

#6 kaseyleigh

kaseyleigh

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationOklahoma
  • Application Season:Already Attending
  • Program:Law

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:32 AM

I was admitted for the Russian program this summer! I have to wait to hear about the Kathryn Davis Peace Fellowship though. That one is fully funded and I probably won't be attending if I don't get one. Congrats to the others that got in as well! I hear great things!

Current OU Law Student Class of 2014. Plan on going into foreign policy. Applied for a Fulbright research award in Russia for fall 2014.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users