Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

Results Survey: Color code by reply?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 guttata

guttata

Mocha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Application Season:Already Attending
  • Program:Biology

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:31 AM

I don't know if this is a possibility, but it seems like it would be a pretty easy programming switch to have the information line colored based on whether the responder was Accepted/Rejected/Other (e.g. green accepted, red rejected, blue other?). Pretty minor and I think it would greatly speed interpretation of responses

Any thoughts or comments on the feasibility?

Edited by guttata, 07 February 2012 - 04:34 AM.

#2 MCS_aspirant

MCS_aspirant

Espresso Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Program:Mechanical Engineering

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:10 AM

I second this idea!
Masters/PhD Student in MIT Mechanical Engineering (Full funding, Research Assistant)
Accepted (3/7): MIT Mechanical, Stanford, University of Michigan
Rejected (4/7): Princeton, MIT Aero, Caltech, Cornell

If you inbox me, I will certainly reply; but I don't check this site very often, so please be patient :)

#3 bgk

bgk

Barista

• Administrators
  • 738 posts
  • Application Season:Not Applicable

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

Great idea.... I'll take a look. I know the results search is pretty clunky... I'll welcome other suggestions for improving it
(the Grad Cafe Barista)

#4 contretemps

contretemps

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

Also, it'd be nice if the international admits can be separated from the American admits using the search bar. Just a thought. :D

#5 hope4fall2012

hope4fall2012

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Program:Atmospheric Science

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:47 AM

Also, it'd be nice if the international admits can be separated from the American admits using the search bar. Just a thought. :D

In fact, while the current search is simple and nice, there should be an option for advanced search as well..

Another thing would be the option of linking to your profile when you make an entry.. A lot of people post questions in the results survey by choosing the "other" option and this defeats the purpose.. They should instead be able to PM the person who made the entry and check their queries with them..

Edited by hope4fall2012, 08 February 2012 - 04:50 AM.

#6 coonskee

coonskee

Mocha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Program:Microbiology & Pharmacology

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

In fact, while the current search is simple and nice, there should be an option for advanced search as well..

Another thing would be the option of linking to your profile when you make an entry.. A lot of people post questions in the results survey by choosing the "other" option and this defeats the purpose.. They should instead be able to PM the person who made the entry and check their queries with them..

I definitely agree with this - or with an option to "reply" to a result in such a way that the replies can be hidden/unhidden (think FB status updates once you have several replies).

Also: I just reported two results in the survey (Columbia Integrated Bio) because I spoke with the grad secretary, and she said no admissions decisions have been sent out at all - but there's no way for me to state this while reporting the issue, and there's no reason anyone should think they're spam otherwise. Maybe add a "reason for reporting"?

Edited by coonskee, 08 February 2012 - 08:54 PM.

Applied, Accepted, and Heading to: Columbia Integrated CMBS!! My gamble paid off!

#7 bgk

bgk

Barista

• Administrators
  • 738 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:56 PM

I don't know if this is a possibility, but it seems like it would be a pretty easy programming switch to have the information line colored based on whether the responder was Accepted/Rejected/Other (e.g. green accepted, red rejected, blue other?). Pretty minor and I think it would greatly speed interpretation of responses

Any thoughts or comments on the feasibility?

How does it look now? I don't think the whole row should be coloured... but maybe?
(the Grad Cafe Barista)

#8 lslavic12

lslavic12

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill, NC
  • Application Season:2014 Fall
  • Program:Research Fulbright Poland

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

Just the "Accepted" or "Rejected" are highlighted- I like it! So much easier to browse through.

"We can know only that we know nothing. And that is the highest degree of human wisdom.”
-- Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

#9 bgk

bgk

Barista

• Administrators
  • 738 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

Just the "Accepted" or "Rejected" are highlighted- I like it! So much easier to browse through.

OK Good. I'll leave it like that for a bit and see what people have to say.
(the Grad Cafe Barista)

#10 guttata

guttata

Mocha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Program:Biology

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:43 AM

How does it look now? I don't think the whole row should be coloured... but maybe?

Looks good to me. My original suggestion was to color the whole line, but I'm guessing most people are more interested in the school being reported rather than the result. Much more subdued but still easier to interpret. I like your change better.

#11 prefers_pencils

prefers_pencils

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Program:Social Sciences

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:13 PM

I can't see the accepted/rejected coloring in Chrome, but I can see it in Safari. Is it just me?

#12 wine in coffee cups

wine in coffee cups

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Program:statistics

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

I can't see the accepted/rejected coloring in Chrome, but I can see it in Safari. Is it just me?

I had to clear my cache to see it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users