GRE doesn't matter

bowdoinstudent

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually did have a somewhat crappy GRE score (comparably): 1100 with a 4.5W

I got into half of the programs I applied to-- 2 of them with scholarships.

BUT, I have a good GPA from a top 20 uni, research experience, have lived and worked abroad, speak 6 languages (at varying degrees of fluency), and my research will be credited in a book that is coming out in a year.

however, i figure that I need to retake it and study a little bit when i start to apply to PhD programs.

yeah GRE doesn't really matter..i have 1500 in GRE and only got admissions without funding

you're still lucky.

my best friend had an almost perfect GRE, a 1560 (perfect verbal) 5.5W, and did not get into not one of the 7 universities she applied to.

Does anybody know if Ph.D. programs are admitting fewer people because the recession is adversely affecting department funding?

yes. some universities are not even accepting anyone (i recall hearing about UC Santa Cruz Philosophy..amongst others).

Depends on school and department.... A lot of schools take the test as "something you need to do for application". You just need to take it and it does not hurt you if you do poorly. If a school consider it, it will tell you that you need to have a "competitive GRE score". Read carefully when you apply.

Good GRE score will NOT guaranteed you a certificate of admission. You should show other stuff that will impress the committees. For engineering students, show them your EIT cert. (if you have one). It will tell them you have the basic knowledge as an engineer. Also, provide them your resume to show them what you have done after undergrad.

Good luck!

GRE: V: 320, Q 760

Applied:1.5 (1 school, 2 programs)

Accepted: 1

Rejected: 1

Does anybody know if Ph.D. programs are admitting fewer people because the recession is adversely affecting department funding?

Depends on the school. Some schools will only offer spots to students if they can fund them (Yale is one of those). Other schools will accept students even without funding. Obviously, there's less funding available this year than in past years, so I would guess that admission #'s are down.

you're still lucky.

my best friend had an almost perfect GRE, a 1560 (perfect verbal) 5.5W, and did not get into not one of the 7 universities she applied to.

Interesting. More credence to the GRE won't get you in logic. I had a distinctly average GRE score (520V, 730Q, 5AW) and I got into 4 schools.

• 2 weeks later...