The Silence is Killing Me!

abrayto1

Does anyone know how much time it takes for UT to make a decision? I had applied in Dec and it is the first week of April already.

I think it depends on the program but almost ALL PhD programs will announce decisions no later than 14 April 12 I believe.

Haha. Oseirus, you crack me up! :P

I can always give you the "I heard about a guy who know this girl's brother's whose best friend's sister in law" variety of a story if you want?

I am getting FURIOUS at the three schools on my list who haven't gotten back to me yet.

I mean, seriously! It is TEN DAYS until decision time. How am I supposed to carefully research my options, etc? If I've been rejected, just tell me, so I can back to the place where I was accepted. I mean, I know they probably have people on their waitlist who would love to know...

Purdue, at least, replied to my email inquiry explaining their process and letting me know that I was NOT in the reject pile. But communicating with Bowling Green and Penn State is like howling into a canyon... all I get back is faint echos that tell me nothing.

I paid the application fee, sent them my transcripts and test scores... this gets very expensive very quickly... the least they can do is reply in a timely enough manner that I can actually use their response!

I am getting FURIOUS at the three schools on my list who haven't gotten back to me yet.

I mean, seriously! It is TEN DAYS until decision time. How am I supposed to carefully research my options, etc? If I've been rejected, just tell me, so I can back to the place where I was accepted. I mean, I know they probably have people on their waitlist who would love to know...

Purdue, at least, replied to my email inquiry explaining their process and letting me know that I was NOT in the reject pile. But communicating with Bowling Green and Penn State is like howling into a canyon... all I get back is faint echos that tell me nothing.

I paid the application fee, sent them my transcripts and test scores... this gets very expensive very quickly... the least they can do is reply in a timely enough manner that I can actually use their response!

That's the dilemma I'm in w/my final school ... granted I know I didn't get in (wasn't invited to prospective weekend) but I never got an email or a phone call or a letter telling me I didn't get in still ... and here I'm waiting ... and this is a school that always sends out letters regardless ... I've called and been passed around 4 offices in the past week ... where is the justice!

I have a few schools on my list that are like that. I guess in my case, if they hadn't contacted me for interview, I assume that they've rejected me. Only yesterday, a school that had not contacted me at all let me know that I was rejected. I had already accepted into a program a few weeks ago. I'd suggest going for your fully funded Oklahoma program. The other schools may or may not even respond by this point. Even if they tell you that you're accepted, do you really want to go to a school that takes so long to notify people of acceptance or rejection?

Edited by Delta

I think it depends on the program but almost ALL PhD programs will announce decisions no later than 14 April 12 I believe.

I am still waiting to hear from two schools. However, I haven't contacted them either because one of their appliaction deadlines was April 1st, so I would think they would start making decisions after that point and the other school I am not really sure about their official deadline. I looked over the website plenty of times for specific deadlines for the program I am applying and it just sent me back to the general overall graduate studies program page which has a deadline at the beginning of June. Is that not extremely odd or what?

I am still waiting to hear from two schools. However, I haven't contacted them either because one of their appliaction deadlines was April 1st, so I would think they would start making decisions after that point and the other school I am not really sure about their official deadline. I looked over the website plenty of times for specific deadlines for the program I am applying and it just sent me back to the general overall graduate studies program page which has a deadline at the beginning of June. Is that not extremely odd or what?

How long ago did you submit your applications? I also applied to a school with an April 1 deadline and just decided to complete my application back in January when I finished the others. I wasn't expecting to hear anything until mid-April, but I actually received an admit letter from them in mid-March. You could always email them to ask a time-frame for decisions to be sent out, citing that you'd need to have enough time to plan a move..

How long ago did you submit your applications? I also applied to a school with an April 1 deadline and just decided to complete my application back in January when I finished the others. I wasn't expecting to hear anything until mid-April, but I actually received an admit letter from them in mid-March. You could always email them to ask a time-frame for decisions to be sent out, citing that you'd need to have enough time to plan a move..

I filled out all my applications early. Like in 2011 early, haha. I had everything submitted in December/ January so they have had my application for a long time. I read people on these forums posting about contacting schools but I don't really want to pester the University too much. Imagine if you were part of the graduate department and 400 people applied and they all sent you e-mails every week inquiring about their status. But I am considering it. What about the school with a possible June deadlline?

I am beginning to think you might have to bite the bullet and call someone

So I've decided to give my last two programs till the end of the week. Then I'm sending out ANOTHER email asking for an update. Which is kind of tricky, since I think my master's thesis is so far from approaching finishable this semester that I would probably have to defer admission even if I got in. (Damn Plato and his fucking Greek language to the ninth frozen level of Hades. Seriously.)

The thing is, I'm pretty sure that at this point, it's rejections anyway. Why they don't just send that info out already is beyond me. It all kind of makes me ponder, again, what my goal with all this shit really is. And while I would love to get my PhD and do ... PhDish things, I think it is entirely within the realms of possibility for me to be ... ok ... with my life if that doesn't happen.

Or maybe I just need this semester of suckage to end so I can get some perspective on it all. I think I am officially losing it.

I am about to LOSE IT!

A few weeks ago I called my first choice to confirm if my supplemental materials had arrived (Portfolio) only to be informed by the grad admissions coordinator that the school hadn't received my transcripts. She'd asked if I'd sent them to the general grad admissions office as opposed to directly to the school, which I had. I found this strange considering on the admissions page for my program, applicants are instructed - in big bold letters - NOT to send our transcripts directly to the school, but the general admissions office instead.

Later that evening after receiving an email from the coordinator, informing the "problem" had been fixed, another one showed its ugly head. Turns out my application Fee waiver documentation had been lost, and until my app was paid for I couldn't receive any decisions if they were made. I was a bit pissed considering I sent all of that in with my application back in November. Luckily I had made copies and faxed it off the next day, too bad I had to wait a week before it had processed T~T.

Fast forward to this week as I continue to struggle on waiting patiently, I was out to lunch with a friend when my phone pinged letting me know I had an email and FINALLY I had gotten a message from my "safety" school informing me that " A decision has been made!!" but I would have to check my application for the final decision. The ApplyYourself system REFUSED to open properly on my phone so I rushed home to check on my pc. Umm... I saw nothing there, so I just called the dept. only to be told that I had not been admitted.

As of right now, I AM FREAKING OUT b/c the remaining schools I applied to have really high standards that I may not meet.

My portfolio is good, and I have amazing recommendations and intern experience but my uGPA is average (but will improve since I am taking grad classes now to prepare for the fall), my GRE scores are "Okay" for the guinea pig class on the new scoring scale, and thinking back, my SoP could have been much better.

I really just want to hear a (well formulated) decision so begin figuring out what to do next....

I am about to LOSE IT!

A few weeks ago I called my first choice to confirm if my supplemental materials had arrived (Portfolio) only to be informed by the grad admissions coordinator that the school hadn't received my transcripts. She'd asked if I'd sent them to the general grad admissions office as opposed to directly to the school, which I had. I found this strange considering on the admissions page for my program, applicants are instructed - in big bold letters - NOT to send our transcripts directly to the school, but the general admissions office instead.

Later that evening after receiving an email from the coordinator, informing the "problem" had been fixed, another one showed its ugly head. Turns out my application Fee waiver documentation had been lost, and until my app was paid for I couldn't receive any decisions if they were made. I was a bit pissed considering I sent all of that in with my application back in November. Luckily I had made copies and faxed it off the next day, too bad I had to wait a week before it had processed T~T.

Fast forward to this week as I continue to struggle on waiting patiently, I was out to lunch with a friend when my phone pinged letting me know I had an email and FINALLY I had gotten a message from my "safety" school informing me that " A decision has been made!!" but I would have to check my application for the final decision. The ApplyYourself system REFUSED to open properly on my phone so I rushed home to check on my pc. Umm... I saw nothing there, so I just called the dept. only to be told that I had not been admitted.

As of right now, I AM FREAKING OUT b/c the remaining schools I applied to have really high standards that I may not meet.

My portfolio is good, and I have amazing recommendations and intern experience but my uGPA is average (but will improve since I am taking grad classes now to prepare for the fall), my GRE scores are "Okay" for the guinea pig class on the new scoring scale, and thinking back, my SoP could have been much better.

I really just want to hear a (well formulated) decision so begin figuring out what to do next....

Have you been in touch w/the other schools this week to make sure they have all your paperwork, etc? Also that 1st school not having your paperwork isn't necessarily indicative that you won't gain admission ... I applied to one school who didn't even have all my letters of recommendation 2 weeks after the application deadline or my official transcripts. Had the DGS not been kind enough to email me, I would've never known, so take that info as you will .... just remember the unconquered spirit of the Seminoles!

So, I got waitlisted by my top choice on Wednesday morning. Then I got rejected on Wednesday night - 9 hours later. Guess those slots fill up fast. Two down, two to go. The agony... lol.

So, I got waitlisted by my top choice on Wednesday morning. Then I got rejected on Wednesday night - 9 hours later. Guess those slots fill up fast. Two down, two to go. The agony... lol.

just remember the saying from "the agony of defeat" and of course "the thrill of victory" ... now that defeat has come victory next!

just remember the saying from "the agony of defeat" and of course "the thrill of victory" ... now that defeat has come victory next!

Amazingly, the second rejection both made me feel better and boosted my confidence. Of course, so did seeing rejections on the survey from one of my other schools and knowing that I didn't get one. :P

Amazingly, the second rejection both made me feel better and boosted my confidence. Of course, so did seeing rejections on the survey from one of my other schools and knowing that I didn't get one. :P

mmm schadenfreude ... tastes so good!

Have you been in touch w/the other schools this week to make sure they have all your paperwork, etc? Also that 1st school not having your paperwork isn't necessarily indicative that you won't gain admission ... I applied to one school who didn't even have all my letters of recommendation 2 weeks after the application deadline or my official transcripts. Had the DGS not been kind enough to email me, I would've never known, so take that info as you will .... just remember the unconquered spirit of the Seminoles!

Luckily my 2nd Choice had a neat check list on the application letting me know what materials had been received. Once everything is accounted for, its all sent to the AdCom.

I've been corresponding with the department chair at my third choice, he's been quite helpful especially when it came to my portfolio.

And finally, the Grad Coordinator at my 2nd safety hasn't hesitated to let me know if there was anything else I need to submit (ugrd course descriptions, fin aide docs, etc)

I'm just glad I thought to contact my 1st choice or else I would have never known about the missing fee waiver docs or transcript..

Luckily my 2nd Choice had a neat check list on the application letting me know what materials had been received. Once everything is accounted for, its all sent to the AdCom.

I've been corresponding with the department chair at my third choice, he's been quite helpful especially when it came to my portfolio.

And finally, the Grad Coordinator at my 2nd safety hasn't hesitated to let me know if there was anything else I need to submit (ugrd course descriptions, fin aide docs, etc)

I'm just glad I thought to contact my 1st choice or else I would have never known about the missing fee waiver docs or transcript..

Well now just to wait and see right? BTW did you go to FSU?

Well now just to wait and see right? BTW did you go to FSU?

Yup, FSU & FAMU for Architecture and Urban Planning

The waiting is killing me. Feels like my soul is beginning to rot out..

I particularly love the silence that follows you sending an email inquiring about the status of your application/funding. It's April 9. Please just tell me, so my anxiety can end.....or shift to obsessing over something else.

my sentiments exactly!!

I collect every piece of courage and strength still left in me and I called grad school. They told me that since my application was complete they didn't know anything about decisions because that was the department's responsibility. I called the department. The lady asked for my last name and program I had applied for and then told me: "Oh, ok. I will have to go back to the graduate admissions' director and I will call you tomorrow". I am doomed... I can feel it... :(