UC's

Figured I would start a thread we could discuss the UC's, specifically UCSC, UCI, UCR, UCSD (Berkeley has it's own already).

I think it would be interesting to compare acceptances/rejections and funding between the schools.

Edited by ThisSlumgullionIsSoVapid

I'm kind of surprised by how few people (who post regularly) have applied to UCLA. You didn't include it in your list either! :P

From all the positive reviews I've heard about UCLA from both faculty and members of this forum, I wish now that I had applied. That being said, my heart's on the east coast and it would have killed me to be so far. But still.....

I'm kind of surprised by how few people (who post regularly) have applied to UCLA. You didn't include it in your list either! :P

I feel like UCLA is more like a Berkeley and not lumped into the R, I, SC, SD category but more with the other top 10 programs across the country. I feel like the four of these programs are pretty similar with small variations in rankings and are lumped into the same breath with one another, not so much with Cal or LA.

I feel like UCLA is more like a Berkeley and not lumped into the R, I, SC, SD category but more with the other top 10 programs across the country. I feel like the four of these programs are pretty similar with small variations in rankings and are lumped into the same breath with one another, not so much with Cal or LA.

True, but poor UCLA doesn't have its own thread yet...haha.

True, but poor UCLA doesn't have its own thread yet...haha.

I really wish my interests were better represented at LA. I wanted to apply there so badly but felt even if I had the worlds best stats I would have been rejected off of fit anyways.

ucla has an awesome awesome campus.

UCLA fun fact: the campus used for the movie Old School is UCLA.

UCLA decisions will be known at the end of the month, according to their program coordinator.

Thanks for the info - did you contact him/her directly? UCLA has a pretty late notification date considering their application was due 12/1.

I applied to UCLA. I don't think I will get in, so it felt more like a donation than an application fee, ha.

That's how my Princeton felt and probably my University of Chicago too.

I understand this feeling, but I went in the opposite direction and didn't apply to programs based on a fear of rejection. Even where I had decent fit and decent stats, I didn't apply unless I felt like they would be crazy to reject me. Now I wish I had applied to more top schools like Princeton, Chicago, UCLA, Berkeley, etc. I think it's better to take chances and fail than regret not applying at all (if you can afford it). And you never know what might happen.

I understand this feeling, but I went in the opposite direction and didn't apply to programs based on a fear of rejection. Even where I had decent fit and decent stats, I didn't apply unless I felt like they would be crazy to reject me. Now I wish I had applied to more top schools like Princeton, Chicago, UCLA, Berkeley, etc. I think it's better to take chances and fail than regret not applying at all (if you can afford it). And you never know what might happen.

I was going to do 5 top 5 high average and 5 average but when the applications actually came I did with what you were saying you wish you had. I put in a majority of applications at schools that are high ranked that I didn't really think I had much of a chance at. Reflecting upon it, I kind of wish I put in a few more applications at places I had the "they'd have to be crazy to reject me" kind of fit. I would have liked to have a few schools to weigh against each other when trying to choose where to commit to (assuming I get any acceptances at all that is).

I think Plan B's matter here too.. fortunately for me I had a good back-up plan of doing another year for the current fellowship that I'm on. Pushing back grad school another year would have been painfui, but it would have allowed me to gain another year of research experience and possibly get a CV started with a publication or two. All this considered, I took a shot at "murderers row" and applied to all top 20 schools. Definitely risky, but with the job market these days, I think definitely justified.

Thanks for the info - did you contact him/her directly? UCLA has a pretty late notification date considering their application was due 12/1.

Yep I got in touch with her. I was also told that decisions for international students might come a bit later due to the need to figure out a decent funding package.

Hahahaha - I love how the post intended to "not be UCLA" is turning out to be the UCLA thread. Anyone want to make one? I think they might be one of the last schools we hear from.

@SocialGroovements... so, I feel terribly lucky right now.. I basically almost didn't apply to Stanford for

1. fear of rejection,

2. the first app due in late November and I didn't feel "ready" to apply yet,

3. the fee is like $130 I think.

I remember spending a day or two ready to back out of the application and talking myself into why I shouldn't apply. Then a good friend was like "Stop obsessing and just do it. They accept credit cards. And you will never know if you just don't apply" It's my first acceptance so far and OMG.. I can't even imagine now what would have happened if I didn't apply, especially if I wind up going there (which seems like a good possibility for me at this moment). I definitely owe my friend at least a drink!

Hahahaha - I love how the post intended to "not be UCLA" is turning out to be the UCLA thread. Anyone want to make one? I think they might be one of the last schools we hear from.

@SocialGroovements... so, I feel terribly lucky right now.. I basically almost didn't apply to Stanford for

1. fear of rejection,

2. the first app due in late November and I didn't feel "ready" to apply yet,

3. the fee is like $130 I think.

I remember spending a day or two ready to back out of the application and talking myself into why I shouldn't apply. Then a good friend was like "Stop obsessing and just do it. They accept credit cards. And you will never know if you just don't apply" It's my first acceptance so far and OMG.. I can't even imagine now what would have happened if I didn't apply, especially if I wind up going there (which seems like a good possibility for me at this moment). I definitely owe my friend at least a drink!

You have a wise friend. I definitely played it safe, but my first acceptence was from a top-5 school that I thought I had NO chance at whatsoever. Now feeling that maybe I underestimated myself, I wish I had applied to a few more top programs just to have the geographic and funding flexibility. At the same time, I was rejected at a top-15 school where I thought I had a good shot. It goes to show (for those future applicants out there), don't sell yourself short and apply widely if you can afford it and have the time. I really didn't have enough of either and actually missed an application deadline (gasp!) because I got it mixed up with another program.

I actually bulked my applications in the rank 25-30 range, including UCI and UCSB. Still no word from either!

It goes to show (for those future applicants out there), don't sell yourself short and apply widely if you can afford it and have the time. I really didn't have enough of either and actually missed an application deadline (gasp!) because I got it mixed up with another program.

SocialGroovements, I wasn't sure whether to share, but I also (double gasp!) didn't apply to a programme (UCLA in fact) because I missed a deadline.