Fulbright: Privacy during the grant period?

Lia19

This question is probably best answered by former/current Fulbrighters:

When you arrive to your host country, are you required to ‘check-in’ with anyone, for example, the Fulbright commission, US embassy, local police, etc.? Do you have to provide anyone with your local address (local within the host country, I mean)? I will be doing an independent research project, so I will not be an ETA or grad student. I ask because I’m a naturally pretty independent person, so just want to know how much people are going to be all up in my business during the grant period, to put it frankly.

Also, if you are working on an independent research project—meaning you are not an ETA or grad student—how does the Fulbright commission track your whereabouts? I ask because even though I applied to Hong Kong, I definitely want to spend a significant amount of time on Mainland China doing research. However, according to the rules if you spend more than 2 weeks outside of your host country, they begin to dock your stipend. So...what happens if you just don’t tell them that you’ve crossed that itty bitty border line? How would they actually know?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

PS-I'd understand if you don't want to answer this question publicly, so feel free to just message me.

What kind of Fulbright program are you in? Fulbright teacher teaching overseas and conducting a project or a just Fulbright exchange student? I could give you more info depending on the category you fall into.

What does ETA mean by the way. If you go to a country thanks to the Fulbright program, your actions may be monitored since your local Fulbright advisor has to sign your DS 2019 whenever you want to go out of the host country, unless you will not need a visa to go to China and Hong Kong.

I'm actually just an applicant now, not yet chosen as a Fulbright Fellow. I'm an American, applying to Hong Kong for an independent Creative Writing project. 'ETA' stand for English Teaching Assistant.Thanks for the reply!

They give you a fair bit of freedom. As for the "two-week" rule it's more of a two-consecutive-week rule. Each countries commission differs with flexibility, but I had total freedom in Germany (except when I went to North Africa, they wanted me to send an email with my travel dates so if anything happened while abroad the embassy knew) and I had friends who were in the States for longer than two weeks. If you're selected they will go into every particular before you leave. It's not Fulbrights intention to "be up in your business" but they do want to make sure you're getting along okay and that you're safe (walker is right about the visas). Good luck with the process, it's an amazing year and an amazing experience!

Edited by der Träumer

I get the sense this varies from one country to the next. I had to provide the local embassy with my local address and cell phone number, so they can contact me in the event of an emergency. But, other than that, I'm basically on my own. Some of this is likely because there isn't a Fulbright Commission where I am.

That said, I know of Fulbrighters in SE Asia who could no travel outside the country without letting Fulbright know because the local commission had their passports.

The two week thing is not really two weeks. You can take two weeks outside your host country without it affecting your pay. Months of pay are based on being in the country for more than half the month (16-31 days out of the month). Read between the lines.

This is definitely something that varies a bit depending on your country, and depending on whether it's a commission or non-commission country--and even on the personalities of the people in the embassy. They're not going to be intentionally invasive or pushy, but on the other hand, they'll almost certainly have all of your contact information, and at least check in with you regularly (like every 1-2 months). Their biggest concern, particularly with travel outside of the country, is your safety. Should anything dangerous transpire in country, they need to know how to locate you--and also, your Fulbright-provided health insurance does not cover you during any times you are outside of your grant country. When leaving the country at all, it's generally expected that you'll let the embassy/Commission know your whereabouts and itinerary. You should also bear in mind that in many cases, the embassy will want to be in touch with you about participating in educational/cultural/diplomatic programs and events.

You should also bear in mind that in many cases, the embassy will want to be in touch with you about participating in educational/cultural/diplomatic programs and events.

This is something I hadn't thought of at all, thank you @Jahiliyya.