Range of funding for PoliSci Programs

JackJo21

On 2/10/2014 at 2:30 AM, IRToni said:

The standard UCSD package this year seems to be:

Year 1: Approximately $16k of support (includes a 25% Grader/TAship and stipend) plus all fees and non-res tuition (if applicable)  + $5k Summer stipend after first year

Year 2-5: Approximately $21k of support (includes a 50% Grader/TAship and stipend)

The TAship includes a partial fee and res tuition waiver, according to the website, so you still have to pay some fees and non-res tuition, at least in year two. After proceeding to candidacy, non-res tuition seems to be waived.

The package seems relatively low for San Diego, although you might be able to pick up additional RA/TA assignments over the summer, which would make it stretch further, I believe.

My original package at UCSD was a bit bigger (about $23,300 per year) with 25% TAship the first year and 50% the next four. They mention nothing about summer. I just received the SEED fellowship so it blew up to 25k a year without TAship for 3 years and guarantee of that much for the other 2 but with a TAship. Seems good based on what I'm hearing here and other offers received but I also know La Jolla is super expensive so I'm a bit worried.

Anyone know if I can TA or RA on top of the fellowship for extra funds?

Edited by Nozistin

On 2/5/2017 at 8:36 PM, Bibica said:

If it is a school that you're excited about attending, it is absolutely okay to haggle for more funding. Especially if you have an offer at another university that gives you more funding. I spoke to someone in my university who handles this sort of stuff and she said that they'll almost always give an extra $1000-3000 to someone who says that funding is preventing them from accepting.

Keep in mind that before they accepted you, you were trying to convince them. Now THEY'RE trying to recruit YOU. They've already decided that they want you, and that gives you some bargaining power. That being said, it is important to be polite about it, and it would definitely help if you visit first.

This.  I informed one of my acceptances that a little more scratch would nudge me in the right direction, and they did indeed bump me.

Yale's Package:
6 Years Stipend: 30,250 + (goes up every year, paid every 2 weeks year round)

Years 1 & 2 - MA years, no teaching requirement

Years 3 & 4 - teaching 1 class a semester, 15-20 hours max... right now I'm doing maybe 5 hours total including attending lectures (no teaching in summer)

Year 5 - University Dissertation Fellowship (writing fellowship, no teaching or residency required)

Year 6 - teaching 1 class a semester

Also Included:

- full medical coverage (inc. full family coverage for spouse/partner & child if you or your spouse/partner gives birth while you are a graduate student)

- tuition and fees fully paid

- up to 4000$ increase in stipend if you have an external scholarship (if your scholarship exceeds 4000$ you do not earn more than Yale stipend + 4000$). You can also defer Yale's fellowship for up to 1 year

- department conference travel funding: $450 per year for first 2 years, $700 per year for each year after

- free Miller High Life @ GPSCY on Thursday Nights

Edited by puddle