Emotions Regarding Rejection(s)

giacomo

UT hurt.

Seeing people get accepted to Michigan makes me feel like that was inevitably not going to work fo rme.

Seeing people get invited to Washington-Seattle already makes me wonder if I'm left out.

Boulder is one of my last hopes. I still feel like I have a shot there.

Applied to two unfunded masters programs too... didnt put much effort into my applications to them though. If I don't get in, I deserve it. Got a killer new job that will be good to put on my applications next year though in case I get rejected across the board.

As I was rejected five times, I know the feeling of rejection really well. First you get mad, then comes the anxiety, then comes the realization that you weren't a good fit, after four times in a row you are mad at the universe. The fifth makes you wonder if you are doing the right thing in the first place and decide to take a break for awhile, but you don't take a break from your reading or thinking and realize you actually like and feel passionate about your goals. You think more realistically and continue to march ahead despite five rejections. In a way, you grow and really put a lot of effort into your applications and it makes everything better regardless about how the application comes out. The next school is lucky #6 of the school you applied to and know that means better times are ahead.

Being rejected from UCSB and Indiana wasn't that bad because I wouldn't really love to live in either of those places. But seeing acceptances for Chicago made this week a pretty bad week. I'm trying to keep my expectations low and realistic and remember that I have another path to get me to a Ph.D. if I don't get in this year but it is hard. The worst is having everyone ask you if you've heard from anywhere and having to fess up "well, yes, but nothing good so far."

What about people waiting on wait lists? I keep playing a little voice in my head: "Well, we think your application and fit are stellar, but we're really hoping to admit someone else. If they don't take our offer, then maybe we'll offer you a spot? In the meantime, you don't get an invitation to our campus visitation day. Regards." And this voice is so degrading! And I've been interviewed once and waitlisted twice, no clear acceptances, no clear rejections. Anyone else in the same uncomfortable, self-deprecating boat?

I've only officially been rejected from Princeton which I expected because they can't support my research area. Probably my fault for applying to a school just cause it's close to home.

Against my better judgement, I'm assuming rejections from Emory and Univ Maryland (Women's Studies) because I know both have sent out acceptances and waitlists and I received neither.

As for how I feel.... ugh... I'm trying to avoid the obvious (embarassed, worthless, stupid). Trying not to give up so easily and realize that technically I've only heard back from one program but since I haven't heard from others I'm freaking myself out. Expecting the worse. Sadly we tell ourself "no news is good news". In this world I think it's the opposite cause if they like you, you usually know sooner rather than later. I'm praying that someone wants me... I know my research is good and needed.

TAKE A CHANCE ON ME!

What about people waiting on wait lists? I keep playing a little voice in my head: "Well, we think your application and fit are stellar, but we're really hoping to admit someone else. If they don't take our offer, then maybe we'll offer you a spot? In the meantime, you don't get an invitation to our campus visitation day. Regards." And this voice is so degrading! And I've been interviewed once and waitlisted twice, no clear acceptances, no clear rejections. Anyone else in the same uncomfortable, self-deprecating boat?

Ohhh heck yes. If I got admitted rather than waitlisted I wouldn't be so on edge about all these rejections. All I need is one and if worse comes to worse hope those accepted to the schools I've been waitlisted to go elsewhere. In the meantime to quote Tommy Wiseau: "YOU ARE TEARING ME APART!"

Got a killer new job that will be good to put on my applications next year though in case I get rejected across the board.

Congrats on the new job! What is it?

FWIW, my first time around I was rejected to 5/6 and wait listed at the 6th but not offered admission in the end. It is too early to worry about that in your case, but even if it comes to that, it's not the end of the world and it will give you a chance to strengthen your application for next time around.

If I don't get in anywhere I'm starting my own smoothie stand--every flavor from pineapple to strawberry. Who's with me?

avee, i remember submitting a job application in another thread to work with you. but i haven't heard anything from you since then. am i rejected?

avee, i remember submitting a job application in another thread to work with you. but i haven't heard anything from you since then. am i rejected?

I'll hire you, but look--I can't promise anything. This is a start up. You get compensated off of tips. You'll be fine--it's not like you'll be a poor student or anything :) You can also sleep under the cart in the summer time, free of charge.

I'll hire you, but look--I can't promise anything. This is a start up. You get compensated off of tips. You'll be fine--it's not like you'll be a poor student or anything :) You can also sleep under the cart in the summer time, free of charge.

oh, boy, you sound like an adcomm! i feel as if i'm accepted to a ph.d. program without funding. lol

I haven't been rejected from anywhere yet too, but "no news is bad news" approach seems more convincing as time passes. I'm just hoping that after a reasonable amount of time spent in depression, I'll be able to get over it and focus on doing what I have to do in life (such as completing my thesis and preparing for the next GRE or whatever). Worse things could happen, right?

Anyone think this plan is OK if I don't get in?

Spend a year working as an environmental lobyist and community organizer, and studying for the GRE to improve my scores (it's been 3 years since I've taken the GRE! Worried about this one!).

I already have a publication, great LOR writers, a 3.63 but 3.8 in my major, volunteered in plenty of environmental organizations, and have an incredible math background...

But I guess working as a car salesman for the last 2 years has probably hurt my application.

I can also work on my writing sample and Statement of Purpose and do a lot more research into these schools next year.

But mainly I am asking, do you think joining that environmental community organizing and lobying group will be good for my chances? Think an adcom focusing on environmental sociology might have that improve my chances?