Results System: Features you'd like to see?

76 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi Guys,

The results system, while functional, hasn't really been updated in several years. There are a few interesting suggestions and so I thought I'd solicit ideas from you, since you're the ones using the results system the most.

I'm interested in hearing any ideas: iPhone/Android App, New Site Design, Ability to Comment on Thread, Requirement to Register to Make Posts, Graphical Indication of when notifications typically arrive...

Let's hear it. What would make the results system more useful?

Posted

I am wondering if there is a way to make the search function able to look at several departments at the same time. I think for some of us that would make life a bit easier. I think that some of us in the geosciences field have to look under several just to find all of our results depending on the school, like "earth and environmental science", "geology", and "geosciences".

Posted

Some way to visualize decision dates historically would be super. What I have in mind is for a given search, a table or chart is generated with several stacked timelines (one for each year in the database, i.e. 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008 etc. all in parallel) with colored markers at the notification dates. That way one can quickly see when acceptances and rejections have gone out in previous years. Maybe having a hover function on those notification markers to show additional details?

Posted

I am wondering if there is a way to make the search function able to look at several departments at the same time. I think for some of us that would make life a bit easier. I think that some of us in the geosciences field have to look under several just to find all of our results depending on the school, like "earth and environmental science", "geology", and "geosciences".

You can already do this using the OR operator | ("pipe") and quoting the phrases. So search for

("environmental science"|"earth science"|geology|geoscience)

Example

Posted

I don't know that we need to go so far as having people be required to register to post (as we may miss a lot of good info that way), but maybe have a little blob pop up next to the result if it WAS posted by a registered user? And include a search function to only show results posted by registered users? That way people who only want to read those, can.

Posted

An option to include scores from other standardized tests, specifically the GMAT for business doctoral programs.

Posted (edited)

An option to link the result to an actual user account, while not giving away personal details, would be nice.

Also, a field to enter information about when the submitter actually got the result, in terms of time and date, because clearly nobody's actually getting results from, say, Toronto right now when it's 12:30am, yet results are popping up.

Edited by hall1k

Posted

I second the statements made in the other thread about this but perhaps add just one more reminder that we have the forums for questions like: Other via email 31 Feb 2015 "To the person accepted at ******* can you talk about ****** " The PM link in the results page is also a very good idea.

Would it be possible for there to be an option for an individual to check a box along the lines of "Accepted/declined this offer" after posting? Just to get an idea of the trend/available spaces?

Posted

It would be nice if you had an option to create an RSS feed out of a search like:

http://thegradcafe.c...mical+-SEAS&t=m

That way I can set up whatever app I want to notify when when something is changed or added. Seems like the simplest choice for notifications for the developers.

You can already do this. In your browser click the RSS button feed when you've made your query to get the feed URL, or look at the page source and get the link alternate tag....

Posted

How about filtering Americans (A) / International (I) / Undergrad in US (U)?

I believe this should be helpful.

Posted

Would it be possible for there to be an option for an individual to check a box along the lines of "Accepted/declined this offer" after posting? Just to get an idea of the trend/available spaces?

That would probably be impossible since many people are posting as soon as they hear they've been admitted and, in some cases, before they have even heard about funding or their other applications.

Posted

It'd be very useful to see applicants' subfields.

The survey has been a huge help this year, btw.

Posted (edited)

You can already do this. In your browser click the RSS button feed when you've made your query to get the feed URL, or look at the page source and get the link alternate tag....

woah... thanks guys! Note seeing the RSS button because I switched to chrome, it would be nice to have a clickable link. I'll use firefox to extract the feed URL for now...

Yikes, second edit.

I can't seem to get it to work. When I add the rss discovery extension, google reader will say:

The feed being requested cannot be found.

Going to the extracted link (http://thegradcafe.com/survey/rss.php?q=colorado+boulder+physics&t=m) gives me:

This page contains the following errors:

error on line 2 at column 1: Extra content at the end of the document

Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.

and a blank page

---

Ready for it? Another edit:

On the top of the feed source there is :

<br />

<b>Deprecated</b>: Function split() is deprecated in <b>/home/thegradcafe.com/www/survey/rss.php</b> on line <b>53</b><br />

That sounds like a problem...

Edited by Quantumcross

Posted

Also, I think it would be a good idea to change the location categories (i.e. American, International, etc.) to Local, International, etc, because not every school is in the US. For example, when applying to the U of Toronto, as a Canadian, I am local with respect to the school and thus in a different application pool than international students. However, under the current categories, if I put American, people will assume I'm applying to UofT as an international student, and the same with International.

Posted

woah... thanks guys! Note seeing the RSS button because I switched to chrome, it would be nice to have a clickable link. I'll use firefox to extract the feed URL for now...

Yikes, second edit.

I can't seem to get it to work. When I add the rss discovery extension, google reader will say:

The feed being requested cannot be found.

Going to the extracted link (http://thegradcafe.com/survey/rss.php?q=colorado+boulder+physics&amp;t=m) gives me:

This page contains the following errors:

error on line 2 at column 1: Extra content at the end of the document

Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.

and a blank page

---

Ready for it? Another edit:

On the top of the feed source there is :

<br />

<b>Deprecated</b>: Function split() is deprecated in <b>/home/thegradcafe.com/www/survey/rss.php</b> on line <b>53</b><br />

That sounds like a problem...

Thanks - let me look into this later!

Posted

I'd love to see some way to indicate if the applicant is an under-represented minority.

Some way to visualize decision dates historically would be super. What I have in mind is for a given search, a table or chart is generated with several stacked timelines (one for each year in the database, i.e. 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008 etc. all in parallel) with colored markers at the notification dates. That way one can quickly see when acceptances and rejections have gone out in previous years. Maybe having a hover function on those notification markers to show additional details?

Is the graphical display on lawschoolnumbers.com something like what you are talking about? I found it helpful when I was applying to law schools.

Posted

That would probably be impossible since many people are posting as soon as they hear they've been admitted and, in some cases, before they have even heard about funding or their other applications.

I meant after the fact. In a sense, non-publicly linking a user's posts in the results section to the user and then allowing that person to annotate their list when they've made their decision. As simple as that is to say I'm sure it is a ton more work. Just musing on it is all. :)

Posted

A way to filter out Master's versus PhD results. As of yet I haven't found a completely reliable way to do this.

Posted

The "Date" link in the "Decision & Date" column of results search sorts by the date the record was added to the database (i.e. the default order of results), not the date the applicant was notified. I'd like to be able to sort by either of those date fields, not just the date added.

Posted

A way to filter out Master's versus PhD results. As of yet I haven't found a completely reliable way to do this.

1. I've found this the most frustrating part of the results section. I'm applying to PhD programs so I don't care about when potential masters students are admitted & rejected. I'm sure they feel the same about the PhD notifications.

2. I would also add to the "numbers" section masters GPA. I know a good number of us have a master's degree already and my guess is those grades are more meaningful to admissions committees than our undergraduate grades, especially if it's been a long while since you graduated initially.

3. I think that people post things on the results page in response to someone else's result postings because they are looking for information. Since we don't know who actually posted the result I'm wondering if there is some way to have a a link to reply that would be anonymous sort of like if you respond to a craig's list add. You don't actually get that person's email address. Perhaps messages could be pushed to the gradcafe mail system, at least for those registered. I think this would eliminate a lot of "others" that are listed in terms of results and clean up the page.

Thanks for soliciting feedback. I really appreciate the opportunity!

Posted

Thanks for soliciting feedback. I really appreciate the opportunity!

No problem. I don't promise to be able to do any this time this year ... but I am planning a revamp for 2013 and your input is welcome.

Posted

No problem. I don't promise to be able to do any this time this year ... but I am planning a revamp for 2013 and your input is welcome.

I know that it takes a significant amount of time to make the types of changes people are suggesting. I'm just happy to help make this site better for those that will use it in the future.

Posted

One thing, I think might be both beneficial to everyone is the benefit of being able to note why a particular result is spam. This may help save you admins time as well.

Posted

I think the low-hanging fruit would be (many mentioned above):

1. change location to local vs. international

2. allow sort by acceptance date as well as post date

3. make degree type (i.e. masters vs. phd) a separate field so that we can sort out the undesirable results

4. add a field or set of fields about funding offers

In the not-so-low-hanging-fruit category, I've often wondered how frequently interviews lead to offers. I know this varies by school. It seems that if userID were tracked internally for posters who are logged in when they submit, then their submissions about interviews could be linked to their submissions about rejection or acceptance.

Thanks for all your hard work!