Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

Results System: Features you'd like to see?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 bgk

bgk

Barista

• Administrators
  • 746 posts
  • Application Season:Not Applicable

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

Hi Guys,

The results system, while functional, hasn't really been updated in several years. There are a few interesting suggestions in this thread, and so I thought I'd solicit ideas from you, since you're the ones using the results system the most.

I'm interested in hearing any ideas: iPhone/Android App, New Site Design, Ability to Comment on Thread, Requirement to Register to Make Posts, Graphical Indication of when notifications typically arrive...

Let's hear it. What would make the results system more useful?
(the Grad Cafe Barista)

#2 Kitkat

Kitkat

Macchiato

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationNew York City
  • Program:Geosciences - geobiology

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

I am wondering if there is a way to make the search function able to look at several departments at the same time. I think for some of us that would make life a bit easier. I think that some of us in the geosciences field have to look under several just to find all of our results depending on the school, like "earth and environmental science", "geology", and "geosciences".
Applied: UChicago, UMich - Ann Arbor, Columbia, RGGS, UTexas - Austin
Rejected: UChicago, Columbia, UTexas - Austin
Accepted:

#3 wine in coffee cups

wine in coffee cups

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Application Season:Already Attending
  • Program:statistics

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

Some way to visualize decision dates historically would be super. What I have in mind is for a given search, a table or chart is generated with several stacked timelines (one for each year in the database, i.e. 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008 etc. all in parallel) with colored markers at the notification dates. That way one can quickly see when acceptances and rejections have gone out in previous years. Maybe having a hover function on those notification markers to show additional details?

#4 bgk

bgk

Barista

• Administrators
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

I am wondering if there is a way to make the search function able to look at several departments at the same time. I think for some of us that would make life a bit easier. I think that some of us in the geosciences field have to look under several just to find all of our results depending on the school, like "earth and environmental science", "geology", and "geosciences".

You can already do this using the OR operator | ("pipe") and quoting the phrases. So search for

("environmental science"|"earth science"|geology|geoscience)

Example
(the Grad Cafe Barista)

#5 gellert

gellert

Macchiato

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Program:Ph.D. Social Psychology

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:51 PM

I don't know that we need to go so far as having people be required to register to post (as we may miss a lot of good info that way), but maybe have a little blob pop up next to the result if it WAS posted by a registered user? And include a search function to only show results posted by registered users? That way people who only want to read those, can.

#6 busybee3

busybee3

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationNYC
  • Program:Business PhD

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:46 AM

An option to include scores from other standardized tests, specifically the GMAT for business doctoral programs.

#7 hungryhungryhipster

hungryhungryhipster

Espresso Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Windsor
  • Program:Computer Science

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:35 AM

An option to link the result to an actual user account, while not giving away personal details, would be nice.

Also, a field to enter information about when the submitter actually got the result, in terms of time and date, because clearly nobody's actually getting results from, say, Toronto right now when it's 12:30am, yet results are popping up.

Edited by hall1k, 12 February 2012 - 05:37 AM.

#8 Quantumcross

Quantumcross

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Program:Physics

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:51 PM

It would be nice if you had an option to create an RSS feed out of a search like:
http://thegradcafe.c...mical -SEAS&t=m

That way I can set up whatever app I want to notify when when something is changed or added. Seems like the simplest choice for notifications for the developers.

#9 EdaxFlamma

EdaxFlamma

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Program:Microbiology

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

I second the statements made in the other thread about this but perhaps add just one more reminder that we have the forums for questions like: Other via email 31 Feb 2015 "To the person accepted at ******* can you talk about ****** " The PM link in the results page is also a very good idea.

Would it be possible for there to be an option for an individual to check a box along the lines of "Accepted/declined this offer" after posting? Just to get an idea of the trend/available spaces?

#10 bgk

bgk

Barista

• Administrators
  • 746 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

It would be nice if you had an option to create an RSS feed out of a search like:
http://thegradcafe.c...mical -SEAS&t=m

That way I can set up whatever app I want to notify when when something is changed or added. Seems like the simplest choice for notifications for the developers.

You can already do this. In your browser click the RSS button feed when you've made your query to get the feed URL, or look at the page source and get the link alternate tag....
(the Grad Cafe Barista)

#11 luckyseven

luckyseven

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationTaiwan
  • Program:Chemical Engineering

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

How about filtering Americans (A) / International (I) / Undergrad in US (U)?
I believe this should be helpful.
Applied = Purdue, UIUC, Northwestern, Ohio State University, Notre Dame, UIC, Cornell
Accepted = Ohio State University (01-03)
Rejected = Notre Dame (23-01), Northwestern (24-02), Cornell (07-03), UIUC (28-03), Purdue (12-04), UIC (12-04)

#12 rising_star

rising_star

SuperMod

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Program:social sciences

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

Would it be possible for there to be an option for an individual to check a box along the lines of "Accepted/declined this offer" after posting? Just to get an idea of the trend/available spaces?

That would probably be impossible since many people are posting as soon as they hear they've been admitted and, in some cases, before they have even heard about funding or their other applications.

"Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on." - Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking." - House

#13 Tallow

Tallow

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA
  • Program:PhD, Political Science

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

It'd be very useful to see applicants' subfields.
The survey has been a huge help this year, btw.

#14 Quantumcross

Quantumcross

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Program:Physics

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

You can already do this. In your browser click the RSS button feed when you've made your query to get the feed URL, or look at the page source and get the link alternate tag....

woah... thanks guys! Note seeing the RSS button because I switched to chrome, it would be nice to have a clickable link. I'll use firefox to extract the feed URL for now...

Yikes, second edit.
I can't seem to get it to work. When I add the rss discovery extension, google reader will say:
The feed being requested cannot be found.

Going to the extracted link (http://thegradcafe.c...physics&t=m) gives me:

This page contains the following errors:

error on line 2 at column 1: Extra content at the end of the document
Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.

and a blank page

---
Ready for it? Another edit:
On the top of the feed source there is :

<br />
<b>Deprecated</b>: Function split() is deprecated in <b>/home/thegradcafe.com/www/survey/rss.php</b> on line <b>53</b><br />

That sounds like a problem...

Edited by Quantumcross, 13 February 2012 - 08:39 PM.

#15 hungryhungryhipster

hungryhungryhipster

Espresso Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Windsor
  • Program:Computer Science

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:19 PM

Also, I think it would be a good idea to change the location categories (i.e. American, International, etc.) to Local, International, etc, because not every school is in the US. For example, when applying to the U of Toronto, as a Canadian, I am local with respect to the school and thus in a different application pool than international students. However, under the current categories, if I put American, people will assume I'm applying to UofT as an international student, and the same with International.

#16 bgk

bgk

Barista

• Administrators
  • 746 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:54 PM

woah... thanks guys! Note seeing the RSS button because I switched to chrome, it would be nice to have a clickable link. I'll use firefox to extract the feed URL for now...

Yikes, second edit.
I can't seem to get it to work. When I add the rss discovery extension, google reader will say:
The feed being requested cannot be found.

Going to the extracted link (http://thegradcafe.c...physics&#38;t=m) gives me:

This page contains the following errors:

error on line 2 at column 1: Extra content at the end of the document
Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.

and a blank page

---
Ready for it? Another edit:
On the top of the feed source there is :

<br />
<b>Deprecated</b>: Function split() is deprecated in <b>/home/thegradcafe.com/www/survey/rss.php</b> on line <b>53</b><br />

That sounds like a problem...

Thanks - let me look into this later!
(the Grad Cafe Barista)

#17 PoliSci27

PoliSci27

Espresso Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Program:Political Science

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

I'd love to see some way to indicate if the applicant is an under-represented minority.

Some way to visualize decision dates historically would be super. What I have in mind is for a given search, a table or chart is generated with several stacked timelines (one for each year in the database, i.e. 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008 etc. all in parallel) with colored markers at the notification dates. That way one can quickly see when acceptances and rejections have gone out in previous years. Maybe having a hover function on those notification markers to show additional details?

Is the graphical display on lawschoolnumbers.com something like what you are talking about? I found it helpful when I was applying to law schools.

#18 EdaxFlamma

EdaxFlamma

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Program:Microbiology

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

That would probably be impossible since many people are posting as soon as they hear they've been admitted and, in some cases, before they have even heard about funding or their other applications.

I meant after the fact. In a sense, non-publicly linking a user's posts in the results section to the user and then allowing that person to annotate their list when they've made their decision. As simple as that is to say I'm sure it is a ton more work. Just musing on it is all. :)

#19 Duva

Duva

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Program:Communication, Rhetoric

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:50 AM

A way to filter out Master's versus PhD results. As of yet I haven't found a completely reliable way to do this.

#20 wine in coffee cups

wine in coffee cups

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Program:statistics

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:46 AM

The "Date" link in the "Decision & Date" column of results search sorts by the date the record was added to the database (i.e. the default order of results), not the date the applicant was notified. I'd like to be able to sort by either of those date fields, not just the date added.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users