Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
bgk

Results System: Features you'd like to see?

92 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is the right place to post...

The new mobile version has bugs. I cant access latest updates : the menu does not load.

I have the latest android.

Please test and fix!

I have a recent issue. Whenever I view the results page on mobile I cannot see all of the stats when I click the red diamond (I have no idea what the appropriate terms are for these things). 

I didn't have a problem before, because I it was in "desktop format," now with the mobile format the view is locked so I can't scroll to the side or anything. 

Screenshot of phone view included. 

IMG_2025.PNG

Not sure if anyone mentioned this before, but I would like to filter results by Ph.D. or Master. As of now I'm not aware of a way to do that.

59 minutes ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

Timestamp on all posts (both in the feed and on the forum). 

All of the forum posts do have a timestamp already...

1 minute ago, rising_star said:

All of the forum posts do have a timestamp already...

Well, I've clearly failed to notice. I see things like the "X minute ago, rising_star said:" thing. But what I want to be able to do is to look years back and see what time someone posted. 

2 minutes ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

Well, I've clearly failed to notice. I see things like the "X minute ago, rising_star said:" thing. But what I want to be able to do is to look years back and see what time someone posted. 

If you go to older posts, it lists the date of the original post. There are ones in the City Guide which were created back in 2006. For example, this thread on New York, NY was created on March 9, 2006. The first post on page 28 of that thread is from July 24, 2015 (and you'll see that it quotes someone else and the date of the post being quotes is also provided). Does that help?

On 2/15/2016 at 1:46 PM, the_queer_ecologist said:

Just to clarify, when  you say "time", you mean something like: 

"Posted March 9, 2009" (which is what is displaying now), or are you saying you want to see:

"Posted 12:58pm March 9, 2009" ?

A option to receive phone or email alerts for whatever you set. For example a school, discipline or just a phrase "clinical psychology" would be awesome. I spend so much of my day obsessively refreshing. With an alert set I could just live my life!! :)

For the results page that is 

On 3/18/2015 at 10:22 PM, Pastafarian said:

Some great suggestions on here but one that I'd like to see is the option of adding an 'Application Submission Date' as well to a post, considering the fact that in many programs with rolling deadlines, the day you submit your application greatly impacts when you receive the decision. Too often, people seem to be using the 'other' option to flood the results page with questions related to this.

This is exactly the feature I would like to see for the same reason: rolling deadlines. It gives applicants a general idea of when they can expect to hear from the school since not all decisions will be sent in the same timeframe.

I don't know if anyone has already said this, but it could be interesting to make comments possible after someone posts a result. I'm saying that because sometimes people end up submitting "results" that are basically a question to prior posts.

3 minutes ago, fernandes said:

I don't know if anyone has already said this, but it could be interesting to make comments possible after someone posts a result. I'm saying that because sometimes people end up submitting "results" that are basically a question to prior posts.

I second this. It looks like the Results Search is turning into its own sub-forum, which I don't think is its intended purpose.

Any way to mitigate these non-results posts would be great, whether that be allowing comments on posted results or forbidding non-result submissions all together and redirecting users to the forum.

Not sure if this has been suggested yet, but I'd recommend some way to edit our submissions; I for one have made mistakes in my submissions and have to decide whether to make a new post or just leave it as is. Either way, it is inaccurate information. 

Edited by PizzaCat93

I'm not sure if someone is still checking this but it'd be great if there could be a prompt added on the results page and the result upload page telling people to NOT use the function to solicit information or simply ask "has anyone heard from X School?" and perhaps direct people to their field's discussion forum. It won't stop these altogether but maybe reduce it. 

I think the results lists should encourage (if not insist) that applicants include their specific area of expertise and not just the department that they've applied to.

Going through the results' lists last night, I realized that although some of the schools that I applied to have started contacting other applicants (and not me), I don't know what specific sub-fields those interviews/rejections/admissions are in. For example, I applied to UT-Austin's religious studies program. On the results list last night I saw that several people got emailed by them for interviews, but only one of them specified that they study religion in the Americas. The other three were non-specified "religious studies." I, myself. study religion in the ancient Mediterranean. Soooo, if the other three people contacted by UTA's religious studies are also in the Americas, then I would know that those replies don't mean anything about my sub-field (yet.) If the other three are in ancient Mediterranean religions, then that absolutely means something to me. Or, if UTA were to set up interviews with 10 people in a few different areas across the religious studies' department, then I would figure that maybe the department as a whole isn't admitting that many people at all this year. 

In short, I think the list should include a place for applicants' sub-field/focus/etc. 

It would be helpful to have a button to message the OP instead of people posting as "other via other" and state something like "to the poster below, when is the interview?"