University of Toronto-any news 2012 fall?

gexinhmily

Has anyone applied to U of T's Master of Public Policy program? I was on the survey & apparently someone's status changed to "Decision made"...Mine has not yet!! Anyone know anything??? :wacko:<_<

I wouldn't read too much into the "decision made" status. Last year I was waitlisted for the 2 year MSW program. I recieved waitlist status April 14. I recieved my official rejection letter on September 16 (about 10 days after the program started). My status did not change to "decision made" until October.

I have heard of other people being accepted and not getting the "decision made" status for a month or two later (in different degrees as well). I just don't think it is very reliable..

Also, to those applying to the 2 year MSW program, don't be discouraged by the admits/rejections to the 1 year program. The 1 year always comes out first. HOWEVER, this year the 1 year came out about 2 weeks before it did last year.. so maybe we might know in early April instead of mid/late April. YAY!!

I wouldn't read too much into the "decision made" status. Last year I was waitlisted for the 2 year MSW program. I recieved waitlist status April 14. I recieved my official rejection letter on September 16 (about 10 days after the program started). My status did not change to "decision made" until October.

I have heard of other people being accepted and not getting the "decision made" status for a month or two later (in different degrees as well). I just don't think it is very reliable..

I had my hopes up thinking I would hear soon seeing as someone else's status had changed... Wishful thinking, neverrrrmind :rolleyes:.

Thank you for your help!...&&, Wow, 10 days after the program started?!--That's soo unreliable! With an application fee of $110 and collectively thousands of applicants, you would think they would put some more resources into making their system more reliable & efficient! :huh:

I submitted it late at night on the 12th of February. My referees got their letters in the week before. My application's still marked as under review, and I still haven't heard the "official offer" from the SGS.

FWIW, on my other application (U of Illinois), one of my referees also got her letter in at the last minute. I still heard back from that school earlier than expected. Don't panic about whether or not your referees got the letters in late-it doesn't matter as much as your personal qualifications.

Thank you for responding. I am not far behind you in terms of timing, then. I suspect that my personal qualifications might put me on the bubble, so I was just curious about whether I should be expecting to hear back from the iSchool soon. From what I've gathered, updating their website has fallen way back on the list of priorities, so it's going to remain "under review" for the foreseeable future.

Thanks again, and congratulations on your acceptance!

To those that are waiting on an official letter after getting a 'decision made' - does that mean you're rejected if you haven't been contacted for an interview? Or is there a chance that a positive decision can be made without an interview? (wishful thinking)

Is anyone applying to iSchool's PhD program? Everyone on here seems to be speaking about their Masters applications. It would be nice to hear if there are any PhD applicants lurking this thread.

I've applied to the iSchool for the PhD in Information Studies. Have not received word, and application status on the website still says 'Under review'. To be honest, though, unless the funding package is too good to turn down I probably wouldn't accept the offer; I got another offer from a school that that fits my research interests a lot better. Have you heard anything, @steeloatmeal?

Hey so I'm not the only one on here! Thanks for answering. Well, just like you, I have yet to receive any word. I still have the 'under review' status but people on this forum have said that I'm more likely to get an email first.

Two people on here have already been accepted to the Masters program so it's nice to know that another PhD applicant is still waiting in the same boat. Congratulations on having an offer that you like! I don't have any offers yet, so you're probably a little more relaxed than I am.

Has anyone gotten a rejection for the psychology Ph.D. program? I saw a recent rejection for Master's, but not for Ph.D. I haven't gotten anything, and my status still says "under review," though I am finding out from this conversation that "under review" doesn't mean much!

I had to send a paper copy of a reference to Dalla Lana, as the prof didnt use an academic email. I got an email letting me know it was received. otherwise nothing! SGS still says 'under reveiw'. I suspec we will be waiting awhile.

Has anyone applied to MPH @ dalla lana U of T and heard anything? even a "thanks for applying" ??? i haven't heard a single thing since i've applied.

I applied to Dalla Lana's Epi program last year and didn't hear anything till the end of April. I e-mailed the course secretary asking for an update and she forwarded the e-mail through two other people till I finally received an e-mail from the course director saying that "in all likelihood I was not rejected". Great, there's a chance I might have been accepted. Sure enough, I eventually got my rejection at the end of the month.

TL,DR: They're not so great in getting in touch. If you're still anxious, I would e-mail/call the course secretary and ask for some news if you're really anxious.

Accepted by email to Poli Sci (comparative).

Anyone else who's accepted and considering attending please PM me and we can chat about research interests.

Hey chibuku, do you mind if I ask you if it was a good offer? I had heard that U of T Pols was not offering much this year (and that probably the people at the bottom of list won't even get a TAship if they get accepted).

Hey chibuku, do you mind if I ask you if it was a good offer? I had heard that U of T Pols was not offering much this year (and that probably the people at the bottom of list won't even get a TAship if they get accepted).

Offer was 15k + tuition, based on TAship (not sure the workload). Seems to be the same standard offer as last year and others this year. A bit thin considering cost of living in TO compared to slightly higher offer for McGill. McGill's guaranteed funding includes TA and RA though, so if you can manage to get an RA job at Toronto than it would be a decent deal. All this depends on expected workload for these positions though....

Offer was 15k + tuition, based on TAship (not sure the workload). Seems to be the same standard offer as last year and others this year. A bit thin considering cost of living in TO compared to slightly higher offer for McGill. McGill's guaranteed funding includes TA and RA though, so if you can manage to get an RA job at Toronto than it would be a decent deal. All this depends on expected workload for these positions though....

True. Hopefully it's no more than the standard 10 hour a week TAship. Congrats!!

Anyone here applying to the urban planning program?

I did. Also applied at Ryerson (M.Pl.), so hopefully I will have the option to decide between a more theory-based curriculum and a more hands-on approach to planning.

On another note, according to the results survey the MPP program has issued someone an early acceptance? I had heard that last year admissions results to SPPG dragged on and on...

On another note, according to the results survey the MPP program has issued someone an early acceptance? I had heard that last year admissions results to SPPG dragged on and on...

I saw this too! On a different forum last year someone apparently heard early in March..I think march 7th or 8th..I didn't know that the admissions decisions dragged on last year...I haven't heard a peep since my status changed to under review. :angry:.... :( !

Edited by RKS

NMC informs their PhD candidates pretty early, usually mid-Feb. Their MA's are informed around mid-March.

Thanks for this ... They should put this kind of info on their website!