The sub-3.0 GPAs ACCEPTANCE thread

starmaker

Great to see this thread.

I'm a 2.7 undergrad in chemistry and 3.6 grad ms in biochem with a 315/4.5 GRE score. What helped me was working and putting substance between me and undergrad. I also made sure I applied to realistic options for my situation. I was prepared for rejection but I got into a fully funded phd program in pharmacology.

Great to see this thread.

I'm a 2.7 undergrad in chemistry and 3.6 grad ms in biochem with a 315/4.5 GRE score. What helped me was working and putting substance between me and undergrad. I also made sure I applied to realistic options for my situation. I was prepared for rejection but I got into a fully funded phd program in pharmacology.

Dear Bro~ I got 2.88/4 in my undergrad in Chemical Engg from BUET and it's top most uni in Bangladesh. I have done my M.Sc. and I got 4.22/4.5 (~94%) from YU, South Korea. I have a journal, three international and 3 local conference proceedings. Moreover I have 2+ years relevant job experiences. I am preparing for GRE but still I'm frustrated and dubious that whether I can get funding for PhD in US universities. But your post enlighten me. Could you please advice me on university selection for sub 3 UG GPA holder? It would be a great help. Regards, Nuvan

Hi guys,

I had a 2.7 undergraduate GPA and a 2.9 GPA in my major (chemistry), i applied to 5 or 6 schools and only got into 1 bare in mind these were all PhD programs but i had research experience as well as participated in ACS and AXE(chem fraternity) so don't give up, it is now a year later and I'm close to starting my 2nd year of grad school

• 1 month later...

Here's my story:

Major: Geology, Minor: GIS (Geographic Information Systems), 2.39 cumulative uGPA (abysmally low) 2.79 major uGPA (low). The only research experience was a 3 credit DIS project I did on Planetary Geomorphology. I applied to UWO MS program in Planetary science. I got rejected by email recently in a very nice way saying my GPA was a deciding factor. This was without a GRE as they don't require one, it's a Canadian school. I plan on taking the GRE soon and applying domestic, I think i'll do pretty well on the GRE so I'm confident I'll get in somewhere... eventually. I'm going to send some emails out to potential advisor's detailing my situation along with my CV and statement of intent asking them If I should even bother applying basically. Sometimes I wish I could just start over. Personally, I know I'm capable of making straight A's in my Major, it's just a matter of convincing the graduate committee. GL everyone and I'm glad this thread exist!

That's EXACTLY what I wrote to professors. I even called most of them and left messages on their voicemail, stating that I would like to hear from them via phone/email. What should I do now? I don't want to flood their inbox with my emails and then I become totally ignored or spammed.

You called them? I think that might be your problem.

I called their department to see if they were in sabbatical or still teaching. But I never got a hold of any of them directly (left voicemails with their secretaries) I don't have a problem, they simply are out of touch when it comes to contact students outside their network.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I do not fall into the sub-3.0 GPA crowd, but I would say that it comes very close. My GRE was also not the greatest. However, I got into 3 PhD programs (Northwestern University, University at Buffalo, and Vanderbilt) for communication sciences and disorders, with interest in psychoacoustics and auditory neuroscience. I ultimately chose Northwestern because of feel and quality of program.

It is very possible to get into some programs with some sub-par points. I did have about 5 years of lab experience (also working as the lab manager in a auditory and visuo-spatial lab, while an undergrad) and had 2 regional conference presentations and 1 international conference presentation.

I worried like there was no tomorrow! I had doubts from the minute I submitted my applications. But, most programs look at the whole spectrum of information. I have no doubt my research experience, letters of recommendation, and statement of purpose helped them overlook my lacking areas.

So, I say, you do have a chance to get in with a very low 3.0 and even lower, if other areas really make up for it.

HI! i keep reading all these people who had 2.6, 2.8s who got into a mph program. how did you do that? i currently have a 2.6 and im re doing classes in community college, extension post baccs becuase i want to get a masters in public health or biotech

2.69 over all GPA from U of Toronto because of a course I got a D- in what was a fucking shit show and the nasty prof, despite my valid reasoning, doctor's notes, etc, refused to swipe it from my record and let me re-take it. I spent years dealing with it, and even took extra courses to make up for the mark, but still killed me and as a result I was not qualified for OGS, SSHRC, or any other internal awards when I accepted York U MA. I was accepted cos of high recc letters, and sufficient work experience.

However, because I was never eligible for those awards in my MA, it has now trickled up to lessen my chances at SSHRC the last two times I have applied. I am working on everything else, but it is so frustrating.

4.08 from my MA.

So far 4.22 from my PhD.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is definitely inspiring to me...I'm a current senior at Princeton with a 2.7...the exams here are unbelievable I always feel I know the material and then am just destroyed by the exam. If anyone out there is involved in biology, would you mind sharing some of the schools you applied to as safety schools? It isn't helpful to talk to the grad students here because they all did fantastic in undergrad. I think the rest of my application will be good...I'm extremely passionate about biology and discovery, doing research currently, GRE Verbal 197, Math 160, Writing 5. I know my GPA is awful though and so any and all advice would be amazing!! Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

I had an undergrad gpa of 2.8 (from a reasonably well-rank state school) but with some decent research on my resume. I found a nearby MA program that admitted me, with an assistantship that offered partial tuition and a stipend. The MA program is no where near close to "ranked," but the professors I am working with are fairly impressed with my work so far (GPA in the 3.8 neighborhood) and I've improved my GRE scores from 500V/740Q/5.0 (for MA admission) to 163(650)V/161(770)Q/5.0 (this month).

Yesterday I still had a professor (highly reputable, from my undergrad school) tell me that i had pretty much no hope at a Ph.D program (or at least one that would allow me to get a job upon completion) and my academic life was ruined at age 20 due to my low GPA. Basically - I should give up. He had some extremely valid points.

I recognize my options are give up and take a low-end job (there isn't much you can do with a poli sci degree in this job market), apply to very low end programs who don't have anyone specializing in what I want to study where I most likely wouldn't be funded and where I'd have only a minuscule chance of obtaining a tenure-track position upon completion, or applying to yet another terminal masters program (expecting no funding), take more credits to continue boosting my GPA, only to potentially still face rejection after another two years and 100k in tuition/expenses. For a lot of you, these are the options. There is no magic that will make your GPA completely irrelevant when you are up against candidates who have great GPAs, plus advanced degrees, plus great scores and resumes.

Ultimately, I still plan on applying for 10+ programs, recognizing that that is around $1500 when you include transcripts, etc for what will most likely be 8 rejections, at least. I am paying for piece of mind: I will never wonder "what if i had applied to..."

In summary, I am still planning to fight like helI. If ever you have to ask the question "what is it going to take..." you probably won't like the answer, because the answer rarely offers an easy solution.

If you want to get into a Ph.D program directly from undergrad with a 3.0ish or below and make it happen within a year, it's really clear what you need: excellent GRE scores - these are achieved by studying A LOT, taking prep courses, buying the books, learning the vocab, strategizing, doing 4 hour practice tests, etc (this takes up a lot of time); Strong writing samples - ask for help, get advice from anyone reasonably well qualified to offer it, even someone who can proof read for general grammar/spelling, but don't be afraid to approach professors or current grad students (even if none had to overcome weak GPAs or similar) - worst-case they tell you "no" and you move on to ask the next person; SOP - ask for help, talk to your current/former professors, even if you've never met one-on-one with them before, if your school has a graduate program (even if its not where you are applying) find out who has been on the admissions committee and ask what they look for, there are tons of posts on this forum for writing a great SOP, utilize it; Letters of Rec - asking for help in other areas pays off here, when you express interest in pursuing graduate study to a current professor it gives them the opportunity to get to know you beyond whatever classroom work you've done - your motives, your interests, etc. At this point its unlikely you'll be able to complete an elaborate research project, get something published, land an RA position, etc. before the application deadlines.

If you've been out of school for some time it obviously becomes more complicated and is hugely different depending on what you are applying for: MPH approach will be different than MS in Comp Sci which would be different from Ph.D in Sociology. Make sure you've illustrated your interest in the field (in reality, not just on your SOP) which might be easier if your ideal grad program is closer to a professional degree in a field where you have some work experience rather than an academic degree where you have a tenure-track job in mind. But for example a friend of mine majored in literature and three years after graduation decided to go for a Ph.D in poli sci. She approached a professor at a nearby school with a specialty closely related to the public policy analysis she was doing for her work (9-5 job at a research firm) and asked for some general direction, he recommended a book on method, which she read and then she offered to help with his research in exchange for a letter of rec (since she didn't have any poli sci references as an undergrad), she worked as a volunteer RA for him for about a year. She had to write a research paper on her own, since she didn't have any poli-sci related work from undergrad. That is a lot of work and she was only trying to overcome an "interest gap," but the same method and rules apply if you suddenly decided after several years of work that you want to go to grad school when you had a weak undergrad performance that didn't matter for your initial path.

If you are retaking classes, doing post-bac work, retaking the GRE, etc you are doing all the right things. I had another friend rejected from the same pharmacy school twice even though she had a strong GPA, research resume, and had been working as a phram tech for two years. She had to retake the PCATs twice, and redo some pre-reqs before being accepted.

If you want it bad enough, this is what you'll do. The only secret back door that I can seem to find is working your butt off through a masters program (or similar extra coursework) that will strengthen your credentials, allow you to build relationships with professors who can advise you and write your recs, open up new opportunities in the way of research/teaching assistantships, increase the quality of your writing portfolio, etc.

You can obviously apply without having taken these steps, and doing so might save you a lot of time and money if your resume/SOP/writing sample/LoR happen to be better than you think. But no matter what you do you have to prepare yourself for rejection. If you plan on pursuing a career in research/tenure-track position you will have to deal with rejection a lot in the way of grant applications and publication submissions (grad school admission will hardly be the end of the line).

I suppose the other obvious point is appropriately selecting which programs you apply to and for that there is no true reference as it will vary so much by program and research interest. Highly qualified candidates get rejected by their "safety schools" because their safety schools have a hundred other candidates who would kill to attend and they can recognize from the application that the applicant sees them as a "safety." Passionately express interest in whatever programs you apply to, familiarize yourself the the grad faculty, read their publications, etc.

That's the advice I've put together based on asking LOTS of people, reading others accounts, etc. the bottom line is that there isn't a magical trick that will cause the admissions committee to ignore your GPA; you will probably have to do more than what it would have taken get a better GPA as an undergrad to make up for it. Is this unfortunate? absolutely.

I read on one of these forums or blogs lately that grad school/academia is only recommended for people who honestly couldn't seem themselves being happy doing anything else. Personally, I want this badly enough that I'm willing to subject myself to extra years of schooling before entering a Ph.D program at a high cost with a high probability of failure of ever reaching my end-game. I honestly wish I wanted it less.

That being said. I love this thread. I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this and that there does seem to be some light at the end of the tunnel.

Hi Eponine,

I'm new here, but I think your professor's assessment was rather harsh. Here's what I did (and what I would recommend for others). I enrolled in a post-bac at a top institution (I already had strong scores, research experience etc.) and then I applied to grad programs.

If you're looking into "ranked" doctoral programs, I'm not sure if an "unranked" MA is the prescription. If I were you, I would take a few undergrad electives (as a non-matriculating student) at a top place after finishing the MA.

One thing to remember, and I think I'm right on this one, is that your undergrad GPA won't be averaged with your grad GPA. So, I think it's still a good idea to raise that UG GPA w/ some post-bacc work. Best of luck!

Hi Eponine,

I'm new here, but I think your professor's assessment was rather harsh.

Thank you for this! I could hug you :) You're not the first person to say that, but it is certainly reassuring every time someone does. And thanks also for the input, it is definitely something I will consider.

Thank you for this! I could hug you :) You're not the first person to say that, but it is certainly reassuring every time someone does. And thanks also for the input, it is definitely something I will consider.

I also agree with Chai_Latte about the harshness of your professor. As stated before, I came to my current school (a top ranked doctoral program) with a sub-par GPA and GRE. It is entirely possible to get into these type of programs with lacking areas. My old roommate received very similar feedback from one of his professors (when we were both applying). He was pretty much told that he had no chance to get into a PhD program and should just hope he gets into a master's. Well, it nearly crushed his dreams until he received a letter of invite to interview at a very well ranked biological sciences school. He received his letter of admission the next day! He is now working on his doctorate in cancer biology.

I have heard mixed opinions on getting your masters. Some say it will only hurt you and some say it can breathe new life into your applications. At all the schools I interviewed at, there were always a number of MA/MS graduates being invited to interview for the doctoral programs. I have even met some who were accepted in my department. I say just keep plugging away and getting advice from the people who have been through it (professors and other students). Definitely don't give up, as you still have just as well a shot as anyone else, IMO!

2.7 GPA from a top-5 public university due to multiple deaths in the family, multiple parental job losses, and years of crippling financial problems in my family.

What did it take for me to get admitted to a master's program?

An alternate transcript at the school where I applied - 12 credit hours of graduate courses with a cumulative GPA around ~3.25.

Three good LORs - one from my undergraduate senior thesis advisor, a second from an undergraduate professor (I aced two upper-level courses with her that were directly related to my M.S. program, and I was a TA for one of the classes too), and a third from my supervisor at work.

Above average GRE scores.

A kickass SOP - that included a research project that I had started in one of those classes that was on my alternate transcript. The project really didn't go anywhere, but it helps to show something.

Membership in my field's professional societies and standards bodies (ACM, IEEE, USENIX, Internet Society).

Nearly two years of practical (but still relevant!) work experience in the same field.

And...partial employer funding.

My advice to folks with GPAs less than 3.0: build an alternate, non-degree transcript at your target school with the intent of transferring the credit hours once you are admitted. Do well on the GRE. Get relevant work experience at an employer with tuition assistance. Get some good LORs - no more than one from work, some from either undergraduate (or non-degree graduate, if you can't get any from undergraduate). Also, get involved in your field's professional societies. Pick up the journals and magazines. Go to a conference. Even if you're applying for a master's, like I did.

And, once you get admitted to a master's program, choose the thesis option if offered, even if you don't plan on going beyond the master's to a Ph.D.

Has anyone heard of any sub 3.0 undergrad GPAs making it into any top Ivy League programs? I have a sub 3.0 undergrad GPA, a high MS GPA in physiology and a high GRE score. I also will have a first author publication. Has my undergrad GPA basically ruined any chances at an Ivy League school? I'm just not sure what my "reach" schools should be when applying Ph.D, oh and I'm interested in medical research oriented programs like physiology, cell bio, etc.

Has anyone heard of any sub 3.0 undergrad GPAs making it into any top Ivy League programs? I have a sub 3.0 undergrad GPA, a high MS GPA in physiology and a high GRE score. I also will have a first author publication. Has my undergrad GPA basically ruined any chances at an Ivy League school? I'm just not sure what my "reach" schools should be when applying Ph.D, oh and I'm interested in medical research oriented programs like physiology, cell bio, etc.

I had a 2.6 undergrad GPA and all my PhD acceptances last year were top 15 schools. One of them was Columbia (which I turned down). Keep in mind though that "ivy" status doesn't carry the same weight in a PhD as it does in undergrad or professional programs. Often time ivies aren't even that well ranked depending on the dept. Nobody will be impressed but your parents. Try and focus more on schools that are solid research fits, that is the most important factor, trust me.

I would apply to any school that you think is a good fit, ivy or not. Try and not classify schools as a "reach" or "safety". If you goto a "reach" school just for the name but isn't a good fit, you will hate life. If you goto a "safety" you will feel like you were so close to getting in other places and could have done better so you will be disappointed going to that school. Both cases are bad scenarios. Instead, pick schools that are all great fits and whichever ones accept you, goto the best fit of them all.

can anyone help me!!!

I have a 3.0 (overall GPA) and a 3.3 in my major. I'm currently a sociology student at CSULA and my top school is USC for my msw. I have an amazing internship opportunity, first generation hispanic college student, and a leadership position. Any ideas of my chances of getting in and other schools I should apply to?

Okay my turn ... (hoho it sound like one of those AA sessions :ph34r: )

I did my undergrad back home in a decent university ( which is only decent domestically not internationally :D ) and proudly ( :blink: ) earned a UG-GPA of 2.9/4 . Fortunately I realized my goals in life (applying to US) and succeeded to get a GPA of 3.5 in the last two years of undergraduate. Basically the trend in my home school was so that if I take the courses again it won't matter that much ! Shitty professors, unfair grading, Blah Blah Blah ...

When I realized that I want to continue my graduate studies in the US (That was a pretty big step from the point where I was) I went directly to a Professor who I had a good relation with and asked if I can work on any research project. He was kind enough to let me work on 2 projects during last 2 years of my undergraduate study and so I published 4 conference papers (Which I believe had no effect else than self-STEAM which I believe is very important) ...

I was so determined so I could get a 780/630 in GRE (believe me that's incredible for people in my country :rolleyes: ) and 111 on TOEFL and so I started my applications. I was sort trying to be both REALISTIC and IDEALISTIC and consequently I only applied to Master programs so that I can compensate for a PhD program in better school. I applied to about 10 schools only and only is US I got accepted to SUNY Stony Brook, Houston, Arlington, Portland State ... and of course got rejected from Gatech, Madison and U Washington (haha which is now lower in ranking that us :D ) ... I ended up in Arizona State University - 30 in MSE and 32 in EE

I had no financial aid or so BUT what i HAD was faith in myself. I enrolled and after first semester I was among the only few master students on FULL FINANCIAL RA support working for one of the most world-famous professors in my field. I got a GPA of 4.2 out of 4 (yeah that's higher than 4 :huh: ) and I am currently having 3 astonishing recommendation letters from professors who are all willing to KEEP me for my PhD in their groups !

You can see schools that I have applied for PhD bellow, though the chances are that I may stay where I am for the PhD mainly : First because I have EARNED a very good reputation for myself and Second: I can finish my PhD in 3 years !

My 2 cents: Whenever you catch a FISH from water, it's gonna be FRESH ! it's never late to EARN that reputation :D

Edited by Radian

I need help!

I am applying into bioinformatics programs in the next month. I am a biology major with a chemistry minor, & my GPA is less than stellar (~2.9), but I have a pretty good GRE score (162 V, 164 Q), and I have worked in a biology research lab for 2 years- I have presented orally and with posters 4 times now at state and national conferences. I will have 3 good LOR's, and my statement of purpose strongly focuses on my research experience. Also, my grades have steadily risen from B's & C's to A's and B's, which hopefully shows improvement. Next semester I will be taking computer science courses as well as continuing my research. (By the time I enter into a grad program, I will have had 2.5 years of research experience).

Do I have a chance of getting into a masters program for bioinformatics? (much less a PhD program).

I'm looking at North Carolina State, Boston University, George Washington, Florida State, & Virginia Commonwealth.

Can anyone give me advice, and tell me if I have any chance of getting into a program? I have looked but I cannot figure out how competitive these programs are.

Please help!

Hello everyone, this is a great and inspiring thread for someone like me:)

I am currently in the process of applying to PHD programs in Musicology, my problem is my undergrad GPA is 2.8 because of personal health problems related to weight issues. I was morbidly obese and had different health problems because of it and I also had problems while trying to lose the weight, I have been through two surgeries during undergrad and that greatly effected my psychology and concentration in school. Since then I have lost all my excess weight and I am a healthy person overall after a 6 year journey.

My question is I have read the previous pages of the thread and it is stated that I should mention why my gpa is low, but what I'm wondering is should I just mention the reason as a personal health problem (superficially), or should I mention in detail that it was related to my weight so now that they will know that I am perfectly healthy or maybe I should not mention it at all?

Another reason that makes me doubt whether I should mention it or not is my Master's GPA is A over A, I did really well in my graduate studies and my undergrad gpa had an upward trend towards the last two years leading to my graduation. Should I explain this change or should I not mention it at all and let my transcripts speak for themselves?

Thank you all for reading and inspiring people like me to apply to grad school.Have a nice day:)

My question is I have read the previous pages of the thread and it is stated that I should mention why my gpa is low, but what I'm wondering is should I just mention the reason as a personal health problem (superficially), or should I mention in detail...

No, don't mention the details. No one cares (adcoms). Just mention superficially: severe/longterm illness, 2 surgeries, might specify the yr. when prob was at its worst and that the probs are resolved/have been for some time. This can be covered in 1-2 sentences.

On 11/27/2012 at 2:18 PM, hw00927 said:

Do I have a chance of getting into a masters program for bioinformatics? (much less a PhD program).

I'm looking at North Carolina State, Boston University, George Washington, Florida State, & Virginia Commonwealth. Can anyone give me advice, and tell me if I have any chance of getting into a program? I have looked but I cannot figure out how competitive these programs are.

Please help!

I think you might. Maybe take a couple of classes to seal the deal, but I really think you might be OK. You know what? Call to find out if there's a firm 3.0 GPA cut-off. Even if they say yes, apply anyway.

Yay I'm so glad I came across this thread! So inspiring :D

I'm applying to 6 top and middle-tier schools with a 3.04 GPA, but am hoping to do well on the GRE Saturday and really hope to blow them away with my SOP. Does anyone know anything about Corporate Communications or PR programs? I've heard a few mixed thigns about acceptance, but I don't want to let my guard down too much ...

Good luck to everyone, I'll be checking back in!