NYU

MarxianSociologist

It was me. Just received a phone call from a member of the committee. Fully funded, any TA or RA position would be on top of fellowship. A formal announcement will arrive via e-mail. Seems like they have divided the phone calls between members of the committee. The Prof. that called me said he took the internationals, so if you are American seems like there's nothing to worry about.

I am a bit shocked because during the process of applying I have made attempts to contact professors, and non of them replied. I'm not even sure what I think of the department. Was also accepted to Columbia and (probably) to Chicago Anthro... waiting for other results and not really sure where to put myself at this stage.

Thanks, all of you, really. Applying was such a tiring process and frankly all I feel right now more or less boils down to "what?!"

Am I the girl who submitted all these applications? Plus there's a big stress factor re moving to the other side of the globe...

And I am still anxiously waiting to hear from Harvard (and some other places, but frankly, all I care about is Harvard) - any news from that front anyone?

Wow...Columbia and NYU, flowerblitz?! That's amazing! At least those of us who applied to both and haven't heard anything know there's going to be an opening at at least one of them when you decline haha.

Sorry to interject, but I was wondering about you're opinion of the social sciences faculty at NYU; given their reputation in sociology and economics as being more critical-theoretical, and judging by your username and familiarity with these disciplines, I'm interested in hearing a more informed evaluation.

I'm familiar with a couple of the more famous names, like Ollman and Roubini (don't laugh!), but stand to learn a lot as concerns the social scientists with Marxian leanings.

I am a bit shocked because during the process of applying I have made attempts to contact professors, and non of them replied. I'm not even sure what I think of the department. Was also accepted to Columbia and (probably) to Chicago Anthro... waiting for other results and not really sure where to put myself at this stage.

Must be department policy because my POI didn't get back to me. I hope I get a phone call soon. *takes deep breaths*

Sorry to interject, but I was wondering about you're opinion of the social sciences faculty at NYU; given their reputation in sociology and economics as being more critical-theoretical, and judging by your username and familiarity with these disciplines, I'm interested in hearing a more informed evaluation.

I'm familiar with a couple of the more famous names, like Ollman and Roubini (don't laugh!), but stand to learn a lot as concerns the social scientists with Marxian leanings.

I personally think the sociology faculty at NYU is stellar. Many of the people I'd be interested in working with, like Harvey Molotch for example, have quite the Marxist slant to some of their work. His famous "growth machine" theory is one example of that. Anyway, I don't wanna get us too off topic here, but feel free to PM me if you want to talk some more cuz I definitely love me some Marx!