NYU

MarxianSociologist

wow. if they accepted 8, what were they aiming for? 3-4?

I just got an email saying I'm wait listed. Same as others are saying---they got over 410 applicants and only accepted 8. I assume they will pull people from the wait list as some of those 8 decline their offers as opposed to aiming for a cohort of 3-4.

They only accepted 8, according to the chair of admissions. There were more than 410 applications.

??!! NYU the new most competitive program? 1.9% !!! Insane. Might as well pick people by throwing darts.

Must be a funding thing. Does anyone know how many they usually accept?

??!! NYU the new most competitive program? 1.9% !!! Insane. Might as well pick people by throwing darts.

Must be a funding thing. Does anyone know how many they usually accept?

i think they traditionally have had a cohort of about that size (8-10). so at least that variable is consistent.

i think they traditionally have had a cohort of about that size (8-10). so at least that variable is consistent.

I haven't heard of yield rates (% of accepted applicants who choose to enroll) going much higher than 50 or 60%, even at the most popular programs. NYU must be aiming for tiny tiny cohort.

Aghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! Wait listed for NYU. I was really hoping for NYU.

How do you know you're wait listed, just from the fact you haven't heard anything? Sorry, I know that it might sound like a really really stupid question, but..

largo - I received an email today saying I was wait listed.

Aww thanks MarxianSociologist. I guess NYU is added to the list of the universities that I haven't heard anything from, which means I'm purely rejected.

Edited by largo

Another acceptance, does anyone want to claim it? Any other details?

That other acceptance is me. Like Flowerblitz, I got a call (from Colin Jerolmack--of the awesome work on pigeons)and then an informal follow-up email. My call came on the 15th. I still haven't gotten the formal offer in the mail. I also got accepted to the CUNY Grad Center in Soc. Got rejected by Princeton Anthro. Still waiting to hear from Columbia. But NYU is actually my first choice, so I'm excited!

I think you're right. My informal acceptance email said 410 applications "for what we expect to be a cohort of 8." I'm domestic BTW.

This seems much more likely. The conversations I've been having with POI's at several different departments have had similar framing. For example, Wisconsin has told me they're "accepting for a cohort of 15." "For" being the operative word here. I think that all departments probably try to benefit from this linguistic ambiguity. A Yield rate of 50% is about the upper limit for even the most popular departments. So NYU will be admitting at least 16.

I think that all departments probably try to benefit from this linguistic ambiguity.

"...since the size of our new student cohort is extremely limited - we were able to accept only 8 of the more than 410 applications that we received..."

You're right- now I'm not quite sure what to make of this sentence. It could be the case where only 8 people were admitted, but multiple people are going to be drawn from the wait list as the number of people who accept the offer dwindles. At any rate, I guess this means more waiting.