NYU

MarxianSociologist

Claiming the acceptance. Haven't heard anything official about stipends and etc just yet, though.

Splitends, please excuse the potential stalker quality of this, but you were accepted at Harvard and Princeton, too, right? And where else, if you don't mind my asking? I ask on behalf of those of us who may be waitlisted at this or other programs.

Thanks and congratulations!

Haha, thanks, and no worries on the stalkery-ishness-- it's a small forum, and I've been laying on the couch with a cold glued to my computer for the last 36 hours or so, so I've had a sudden surge of activity here...

But, yeah, I've been really lucky with admissions: I'm into Harvard, Princeton, Berkeley, Madison, NYU, Stanford, and UCLA. It will probably be between Berkeley, Princeton, and Harvard, maybe Madison, and maybe maybe NYU. Probably not Stanford or LA.

Haha, thanks, and no worries on the stalkery-ishness-- it's a small forum, and I've been laying on the couch with a cold glued to my computer for the last 36 hours or so, so I've had a sudden surge of activity here...

But, yeah, I've been really lucky with admissions: I'm into Harvard, Princeton, Berkeley, Madison, NYU, Stanford, and UCLA. It will probably be between Berkeley, Princeton, and Harvard, maybe Madison, and maybe maybe NYU. Probably not Stanford or LA.

What? How is this possible. You gotta give up some stats

Congratulations on a stellar round, Splitends. With a scorecard like that, I'm sure "luck" has nothing to do with it. I'm especially curious about your research interests. What do you want to study?

Well, I have a 3.9 and some change from UC Berkeley, GRE was 167 Verbal (98%ile), 156 Quant (74%ile), 6 Writing (99%ile). I have a ton of research experience, including three independent projects and a few stints as RAs (mostly for grad students in my department), I've presented at a ton of research conferences and symposiums (mostly undergraduate things, but also three professional ones), I have two publications (in undergraduate journals), and a few merit type awards, including a national fellowship called the Beinecke Scholarship. I've done a lot of service type work around the department, like peer advising and etc, and spent two years tutoring for a SOC methods course, but I don't know how much all of that counts for anything. I also have fairly good relationships with some big name people in my department who wrote me letters, one of whom I later found out chaired the admissions committee at Berkeley.

Anwyay, that's like my entire application in a nutshell. I only mention the other stuff because I don't know that the numbers alone make me particularly stand out (I saw several higher GRE scores being reported in the acceptance forum thing). Judging from the feedback I've gotten, I think it was mostly the research experience and my writing sample that made me stick out, plus I think I happened to stumble into an area of research that a lot of professors are interested in pursing right now.

In reality, I don't have a super clear idea of what I want to study, but my senior thesis was about whether and how the Great Recession has changed the way Americans understand unemployment, and mobility and opportunity in the U.S. more generally, and I think I wrote in my SOP that I want to study how/why Americans understand and justify wealth/poverty/inequality/etc, whether and how that may be changing, and mentioned things about the Great Recession and Occupy and etc. So, SOC of Culture, Economic SOC, and Inequality.

Splitends, it's no wonder you got into so many top programs. I also wouldn't underestimate the importance of the close relationships you had with professors in your department. (I assume you studied sociology from your tutoring). Getting strong letters of recommendation is critical and separates you from the pack of other students with similar GPA/GRE numbers. So while activities like peer advising and tutoring may not add value to your applications, per se, they might go a long way toward getting that glowing letter of rec.

Way to go!

@splitends

Sorry to sound creepy, but I think I know who you are? We talked at the last AKD presentation where you advertised for the conference? Guess I'll be seeing you and someone else from our department at the NYU open house. Guess I know why I was wait listed for NYU, hahaha. Hope everything is well.

Splitends, it's no wonder you got into so many top programs. I also wouldn't underestimate the importance of the close relationships you had with professors in your department. (I assume you studied sociology from your tutoring). Getting strong letters of recommendation is critical and separates you from the pack of other students with similar GPA/GRE numbers. So while activities like peer advising and tutoring may not add value to your applications, per se, they might go a long way toward getting that glowing letter of rec.

Way to go!

Actually I would think those softer qualities would add value, just not as easily measurable to us as non-adcomm members. Based on my experience with college admissions in general, soft factors can make some of difference in numbers because they make an application unique and worth exploring, although it isn't to say that 3.0 with amazing soft qualities will get into NYU.

Actually I would think those softer qualities would add value, just not as easily measurable to us as non-adcomm members. Based on my experience with college admissions in general, soft factors can make some of difference in numbers because they make an application unique and worth exploring, although it isn't to say that 3.0 with amazing soft qualities will get into NYU.

Agreed. I just think that, when you have two pages to capture all the reasons a program should accept you, tutoring in your department is probably less useful than, say publications and conferences and RAships (and all the other baller stuff in splitends' app). Nonetheless, those "service-oriented" things are important to do insofar as they allow you to build strong positive relationships with faculty. This is even more true at a big school with big name profs, like Berkeley, where it could be easy to get lost, but getting those LORs from top scholars will have a big return. I think this says something interesting about strategy (if you were to think strategically about getting into grad school during your UG years, which I, for one, did not). That is, I went to a small school without "big name" professors in my department. Because classes were small, developing a relationship and "sticking out" was fairly easy, but the return was smaller because my profs weren't well-known. So from a purely self-interested rationale, tutoring and doing departmental service would not have helped my app much. Instead, I could have done more to look outside my school for conference and publication opportunities. Because I went to a small school, we don't have UG journals or UG conferences or opportunities to RA (departments are so small, they rarely need UG RAs because they had grad students for that).

So this is not by way of wishing I had done otherwise as a UG, but rather speculating about how one should think about planning ahead depending on individual strengths and external circumstances, such as available resources, size of school, etc.

Agreed. I just think that, when you have two pages to capture all the reasons a program should accept you, tutoring in your department is probably less useful than, say publications and conferences and RAships (and all the other baller stuff in splitends' app). Nonetheless, those "service-oriented" things are important to do insofar as they allow you to build strong positive relationships with faculty. This is even more true at a big school with big name profs, like Berkeley, where it could be easy to get lost, but getting those LORs from top scholars will have a big return. I think this says something interesting about strategy (if you were to think strategically about getting into grad school during your UG years, which I, for one, did not). That is, I went to a small school without "big name" professors in my department. Because classes were small, developing a relationship and "sticking out" was fairly easy, but the return was smaller because my profs weren't well-known. So from a purely self-interested rationale, tutoring and doing departmental service would not have helped my app much. Instead, I could have done more to look outside my school for conference and publication opportunities. Because I went to a small school, we don't have UG journals or UG conferences or opportunities to RA (departments are so small, they rarely need UG RAs because they had grad students for that).

So this is not by way of wishing I had done otherwise as a UG, but rather speculating about how one should think about planning ahead depending on individual strengths and external circumstances, such as available resources, size of school, etc.

I see your point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...