USC animation & Digital Arts MFA... results?

MJ5

Hi, I'm a chilean graduate student and I applied to the Animation MFA at USC, AAU, UCLA and SCAD.

I'm still waiting for an answer from USC. The application deadline was December 1st, and I really don't know what their deadline is.

Has anybody (who applied to this program) got an acceptance/rejection letter from USC?

thank you

MJ

• 2 weeks later...
  • I think by beginning of April everyone who received offers must accept or deny, so officially, if you're on the waitlist you will receive an offer then

ooh I see... a long wait. =/

Heey, what about you? did you get an acceptance/rejection/waitlist letter this week?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on the waitlist and I got an email saying that officially we'll know the decision for sure April 4th.

ohh wow

there seems to be a lot of people on the waitlist! o_O

• 2 weeks later...

Hey y'all!

Didn't apply to USC DADA, but did anyone else out there apply for the UCLA Animation Workshop this year?

Anyone have any idea when we're supposed to hear back/has anyone heard back yet? I just got accepted to SVA's MFA Computer Art program, and am hoping for a response before SVA's April 15th enrollment deadline. On the admission status log-in, it looks like they haven't even started looking at applications yet. From what I've seen, UCLA's responses vary widely (anywhere from late March to early May), so some sort of clarity would be appreciated.

Best of luck to everyone!

Hey y'all!

Didn't apply to USC DADA, but did anyone else out there apply for the UCLA Animation Workshop this year?

Anyone have any idea when we're supposed to hear back/has anyone heard back yet? I just got accepted to SVA's MFA Computer Art program, and am hoping for a response before SVA's April 15th enrollment deadline. On the admission status log-in, it looks like they haven't even started looking at applications yet. From what I've seen, UCLA's responses vary widely (anywhere from late March to early May), so some sort of clarity would be appreciated.

Best of luck to everyone!

hi,

yeah I applied to UCLA too, and havent heard a word yet. :/

I guess we'll probably heard something on april.

• 4 weeks later...

Do u know when we will hear back from USC about waitlisting, also my friend got a response from UCLA ( accepted) on April 19.

I sent an email to USC asking the same thing. Thay said:

The waitlist for the Animation program will remain open throughout the summer. Should you be selected from the waitlist, we will contact you immediately.

sounds like there are no places available right now..

and.......I havent heard anything from UCLA =(

Edited by MJ5

From what I've gathered from talking to UCLA, they tend to go one-by-one on the applications, so don't lose hope yet, MJ5! I still haven't heard anything either - I've heard of one person who's already been rejected from the program, but I don't think they send their responses out all at once.

Best of luck to everyone on the USC waitlist! I visited last year - beautiful campus. One of my good friends from undergrad is attending the Peter Stark Producing Program. From my visits, I felt more of a connection to UCLA's program, but could definitely have been happy at USC. Have either of you visited?

no I havent visisted any of the schools.

I'm starting to give up hope on both UCLA and USC. Not a big deal, I got into SCAD and I hear it's a great school for animation.

• 2 weeks later...

hi, bhaist, Congrats!

and what's the content in the mail you've got?

Hey! I got an e-mail last night from Cheri Smith (the graduate film counselor) basically saying I've been accepted but it'll probably take UCLA a few weeks to process things and send me my official letter. They wanted me to respond to TFT by May 22, but I've already responded and accepted my spot! Just have to send in my deposit (once I get that info).

Best of luck!

Hey! I got an e-mail last night from Cheri Smith (the graduate film counselor) basically saying I've been accepted but it'll probably take UCLA a few weeks to process things and send me my official letter. They wanted me to respond to TFT by May 22, but I've already responded and accepted my spot! Just have to send in my deposit (once I get that info).

Best of luck!

HEY Bhaist

I got accepted to UCLA yesterday, and I've got accepted from SVA CA too.

Which school will you go to? And why?

Could you give me some recommendation please.

:)

Edited by milkxhake

HEY Bhaist

I got accepted to UCLA yesterday, and I've got accepted from SVA CA too.

Which school will you go to? And why?

Could you give me some recommendation please.

:)

Congrats, milkxhake! While I could have seen myself happy at both schools, I chose UCLA for a few reasons:

--Reputation - the Workshop has been around for a while and has a really strong alumni base. I figured the networking opportunities would be strong with such a strong school.

--Focus/Coursework - While SVA has a fantastic multidisciplinary approach (which could be great if you're not sure what you want to do), I wanted to learn animation. From what I've been told, getting a background in traditional animation is crucial to becoming a great computer animator. At SVA, they start you off in the computer classes without any basis in traditional, hand-drawn animation, and I wanted to build the best foundation possible.

--Location - This was tricky, but for me, LA has the edge over NYC in terms of getting into the animation industry. Big studios, Pixar just a few hours north, lots of opportunities for internships/potential jobs.

--Student Work - While SVA has some really great student work on their website, UCLA's work was more consistently better (that just sounds grammatically wrong, but I don't care...haha)

I'd say if you want to get technical skills towards the production side of things, as well as work in motion graphics, video, and other digital media, SVA might be the way to go. But for me, the "one person, one film" focus and the emphasis on storytelling, among other things, drew me to UCLA. It was my top choice in applying, and I'm so excited to go there!

If you do decide to go to UCLA, we've started a FB group here! http://www.facebook.com/groups/362347530494001/

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, I applied to USC animation for this year. I was also waitlisted. I'm still on the waitlist. I was wondering what ended up happening with you guys? Did they ever call? I know there sadly is not spring admit for this program.