MA programs in Political Science

I have little idea about terminal MA programs, though I think very highly of Columbia's MA in Quantitative Methods in the Social Sciences. I did that and it was great for me. It is a very big reason why I have a competitive application for top departments this cycle. I don't know the exact stats, but I am pretty sure that it does a better job of placing people than Columbia's MA only program, especially once you control for the fact that a lot of people who go into QMSS are in different fields and/or have little-to-no interest in continuing on to a Ph.D.

I'd look into some Canadian programs if you want strong programs that won't bankrupt you. The connections you get probably aren't as strong as, say, Chicago's CIR program (which from what I know is a great program that places people really well), but I'd say they're more academically-oriented than most US programs. If you're planning on applying now though, I think only a few programs will still be accepting applications (including Columbia, I think).

I can't speak to the availability of specific programs, other than my own experience. I did Chicago's CIR program, and knew a number of people who did MAPSS (which is good if you're not specifically interested in IR.Comparative). CIR, and I believe MAPSS, both offer funding, but the range of funding offers is quite broad. That said, they are both one year programs, so you can get through in a hurry and they have a strong reputation of placing students.

The master's degree can certainly help position you to be a stronger PhD applicant. It gives you the opportunity to develop your research interests and skills. You will also write papers (and maybe a thesis) which can be your writing sample. You can also prove that you can cut it as a graduate student. Master's programs also give you a great opportunity to build relationships with faculty, which will help you get strong LORs. Of course, the strength of faculty in your program and their availability to masters students is very important. Earning a master's degree from a well respected university can also help you overcome other blemishes on your record - whether they be a low undergrad GPA or perhaps you attended a less-known undergraduate institution.

Lastly, I think the value of earning an MA is highly dependent on what you put into it. The degree alone probably doesn't mean that much when applying to PhD programs; however, if you take full advantage of the program and have great LORs, do RA work, write a thesis (or other strong research paper), present at a conference, etc - then the MA can provide a great boost to your application.

QMSS in Columbia

Pol Sci MA in Columbia, MIT, Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, and most top European Schools

MAPSS in Chicago

MPA/MPP

CIR in Chicago and IR MA program in Yale if you do IR

Regional Studies programs in some top schools if you are a comparativist

Thank you all for this information -- it is helpful to me, and I hope that it will be helpful to others as well. Regarding funding for MAs -- I saw that Columbia does NOT offer funding for its terminal MA programs in PoliSci, and I assumed the others also have limited funds. Do you know, by chance, what the tuition for these program are? And if tuition waivers are ever awarded?

My personal experience with the Columbia MA program.

I applied to 7 PhD programs (political theory) last year: Harvard, Princeton, Columbia, and others, and I was rejected by all seven. On my application to Columbia, I asked them to consider me for the MA, and I was accepted. I decided to do the MA at Columbia despite the cost ($40K total tuition for the one-year MA) because I felt that I had no other way of getting into a top-notch PhD program. My plan was to use the one year to get great recommendations from theory faculty and deepen my knowledge of the field in order to improve my application.

I ended up making a good impression with two theory faculty there through my written work, and they were more than willing to write me recommendations for this year. I reapplied to four top-notch schools: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Columbia. Last week, I was notified by those two professors that they had decided to admit me into the PhD program with fellowship. I'm still waiting to hear from the other three schools.

I know other PhD students at Columbia have followed a track similar to mine. The MA program is a great chance to prove your mettle with faculty and beef up your application. The great thing about it is that it only takes one year (I graduate this May).

Hope that helps.

Edited by namul

I came to political science (theory) late in my college career but decided to apply to PhD programs anyways. That was a mistake. I was an unformed candidate with little working knowledge of the field or its vocabulary and I was shut out (though, shockingly, initially wait-listed at Michigan). Fortunately I had also applied to my alma mater, University of Chicago, and was referred to MAPSS program, partially-funded. I was initially hesitant (MAPSS doesn't have the best reputation among snarky U of C undergrads) but I am so glad that I looked past some unfair biases and went for it.

That I knew the University well helped make my MAPSS year especially focused and fruitful -- but even students who are initially overwhelmed by the school and forced into making important decisions very, very quickly CAN and DO benefit tremendously.

My experience echoes what's been said here: you get out what you put in. Dabbling in different classes and fields will quickly neutralize the value of the MA (for graduate programs). But sticking to a sub-field, taking advantage of generous faculty, seminars, workshops, etc. will put anyone in a good position to go on the PhD.

I should also plug the advising system MAPSS has devised to ensure its graduates place well in programs. An adviser with MAPSS (also an instructor and recent U of C PhD) works very closely with students to help make sense of, shape, and ultimately narrate their interests into a succinct and compelling research program. They have nearly 100% *funded* placement rate.

Not only has MAPSS given me some excellent options for my continued graduate research, it's also, as a program, a really valuable place to find what you're interested in and pursue it very rigorously for a year. It made me a better PhD candidate and a better scholar.

I came to political science (theory) late in my college career but decided to apply to PhD programs anyways. That was a mistake. I was an unformed candidate with little working knowledge of the field or its vocabulary and I was shut out (though, shockingly, initially wait-listed at Michigan). Fortunately I had also applied to my alma mater, University of Chicago, and was referred to MAPSS program, partially-funded. I was initially hesitant (MAPSS doesn't have the best reputation among snarky U of C undergrads) but I am so glad that I looked past some unfair biases and went for it.

That I knew the University well helped make my MAPSS year especially focused and fruitful -- but even students who are initially overwhelmed by the school and forced into making important decisions very, very quickly CAN and DO benefit tremendously.

My experience echoes what's been said here: you get out what you put in. Dabbling in different classes and fields will quickly neutralize the value of the MA (for graduate programs). But sticking to a sub-field, taking advantage of generous faculty, seminars, workshops, etc. will put anyone in a good position to go on the PhD.

I should also plug the advising system MAPSS has devised to ensure its graduates place well in programs. An adviser with MAPSS (also an instructor and recent U of C PhD) works very closely with students to help make sense of, shape, and ultimately narrate their interests into a succinct and compelling research program. They have nearly 100% *funded* placement rate.

Not only has MAPSS given me some excellent options for my continued graduate research, it's also, as a program, a really valuable place to find what you're interested in and pursue it very rigorously for a year. It made me a better PhD candidate and a better scholar.

Is JPM your adviser? He seems to be the DGS, right?

Is JPM your adviser? He seems to be the DGS, right?

I took a class with him but Patchen Markell supervised by my MA project.

Also my correspondence from Chicago has been signed by Bernard Harcourt -- department head but not DGS

I'd look into some Canadian programs if you want strong programs that won't bankrupt you. The connections you get probably aren't as strong as, say, Chicago's CIR program (which from what I know is a great program that places people really well), but I'd say they're more academically-oriented than most US programs. If you're planning on applying now though, I think only a few programs will still be accepting applications (including Columbia, I think).

Yes! Canada! Depending on your interests, take a look at:

UBC

U of T

McGill

McMaster

etc...

These schools have low tuition, great funding packages, and offer experiences you might not get in a US program (i.e. TAships, RAships, etc.). No reason to bankrupt yourself on the way to a PhD eh?

• 2 weeks later...

I sincerely thank jsclar for bringing up Columbia's QMSS. None of my applications worked out this cycle and QMSS deadline is April 1! (not sure if joke... lol) I am DEFINITELY applying! :) Could someone please tell me what other master's program is still accepting applications?

edit: grammar

Edited by McMuffin

In regards to the QMSS program (which I am now considering), what are typical funding packages? Looking at past acceptances in the results survey, and looking at Columbia's website, proved unhelpful for the most part. Does it end up being a fairly costly Master's? Or do they give good funding packages?

@cairo: The website says there is 10% tuition scholarship for few people based on merit. There is also RA-ship, but I doubt it will be even close to cover Columbia's cost. Plus, it's NYC, so I imagine the rent is going to be ridiculous too. From jsclar, terminal master's programs are Columbia's cash cow.

@dennison: Since their program is so academic, I suspect their ideal candidate is someone who is at similar level to a PhD applicant but without much specific research plans.

Edited by McMuffin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys!! And what about the MA in politics at NYU? Does anyone know how good it is to enhance my chances for a PhD?

After been rejected in the PhD elsewhere... this is the only place where I got accepted so far (also waiting to hear from MA Columbia...). Would you rather MA Columbia to MA NYU? Would you wait or stick to what is sure?

Thanks all !!!

• 5 years later...

Hi guys, 
I have offers for MAPSS at Chicago and MA at Columbia. I'm a bit torn as
to which one I should go for in the interst of moving into a top PhD program.

- My primary research interest is IR, IPE with focus on China and East Asia,
and secondary research interest is Chinese Political Economy. I have no methods
background. 

-Chicago has Prof. Dali Yang specializing in Chinese Political Economy and Mearshimer.
Columbia has Prof. Andrew Nathan specializing in Chinese Foreign Policy,
as well as other IR scholars.

-MAPSS requires you to write a thesis. Columbia doesn't,
but most classes require research papers requiring primary source research.

-MAPSS says it has preceptors help applications to PhD, while Columbia says it
assigns personal advisors. Because Columbia is reputable for IR & IPE, I am leaning
towards Columbia at this stage...

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Edited by Harold of Lee