2012 Rangel/Pickering Fellowship

top5678

Just found out I'm a finalist for Rangel, so I figured I would join the discussion. I'm also waiting to hear about the Pickering. Does anyone have an idea of when Pickering will announce finalists?

Also, what would you do if offered the Rangel, then the following month offered the Pickering?

Cheers & good luck everyone!

Just found out I'm a finalist for Rangel, so I figured I would join the discussion. I'm also waiting to hear about the Pickering. Does anyone have an idea of when Pickering will announce finalists?

Also, what would you do if offered the Rangel, then the following month offered the Pickering?

Cheers & good luck everyone!

If you are selected for the Rangel, your acceptance of the fellowship will be communicated to the Pickering program (I think that they may just send a list of all of the year's new fellows soon after selection). With this, your Pickering fellowship application would be pulled from the process. If you choose to reject the Rangel (? lol), then your candidacy in the Pickering would continue. However, Pickering finalists are selected after Rangel winners are chosen, so you wouldn't know that you were a Pickering finalist before you received notification from the Rangel and had to accept or reject. They'll tell you all of this at your finalists interview as well :-D

If you are selected for the Rangel, your acceptance of the fellowship will be communicated to the Pickering program (I think that they may just send a list of all of the year's new fellows soon after selection). With this, your Pickering fellowship application would be pulled from the process. If you choose to reject the Rangel (? lol), then your candidacy in the Pickering would continue. However, Pickering finalists are selected after Rangel winners are chosen, so you wouldn't know that you were a Pickering finalist before you received notification from the Rangel and had to accept or reject. They'll tell you all of this at your finalists interview as well :-D

Thanks for the info... Hmm... I'm curious to know how you know this.

Would Pickering know who the 40 Rangel finalists are before the 20 Fellows are chosen? I've also heard of one person who interviewed as a finalist for the Rangel, was not selected, and then was awarded the Pickering.

Thanks again

Just verified this yesterday with Rangel Program Assistant you can be finalist for both. However, they consult when they are selecting their final 20 and thats when you can't get both fellowships!

Edited by legallyproper

Just verified this yesterday with Rangel Program Assistant you can be finalist for both. However, they consult when they are selecting their final 20 and thats when you can't get both fellowships!

Re: your signature block, did you find out that you're a Pickering finalist? The e-mail we got seemed so say they won't be announcing the finalists until the end of March.

Also, I can only assume that they didn't intend to make visible the whole addressee list hahaha.

Edited by jrnels

Mishap on my part but theres no way that Pickering takes til end of march because both Rangel and Pickering committees must consult before choosing there 20 fellows. I was considered for recommendation but my friend whose a Pickering said that's usually hose ho are invited to interview but we shall see and yeah sure that was a huge slip up

Me too PrattlAFF I will be seeing you maybe in DC I'm also a Rangel finalist, when is your interview day?

I'm interviewing in Wednesday, the 14th. I also plan to visit admissions departments since all the schools I applied for are in DC. COngrats on being selected as a finalist and best of luck with the interview.

P

Mishap on my part but theres no way that Pickering takes til end of march because both Rangel and Pickering committees must consult before choosing there 20 fellows. I was considered for recommendation but my friend whose a Pickering said that's usually hose ho are invited to interview but we shall see and yeah sure that was a huge slip up

Actually Rangel chooses the 20 awardees, which must be accepted within a short amount of time. Then when all 20 Rangel Fellows have accepted, this list is communicated to Pickering. Pickering then withdraws any of those names from consideration for the Pickering Fellowship. So anyone (applicant or finalist) who was not selected as one of the 20 Rangel Fellows still has the chance (but no guarantee)to be considered for the Pickering. Make sense?!

Best of luck with both, though!

Definitely visit American, SIS is exquisitely nice! Georgetown is nice as well competed at MUN conference and toured SFS it was nice too. Definitely visit man.

Yes if you're referring to the new SIS building, I can't wait to see it. I have apps in at three schools, and I am weighing them all equally at this point. If accepted at all of them, I don't want to just jump at my current top choice... I want to be sure.

So I see you were accepted for MAGES. Congrats on that. So do you have any idea of when they will announce MSFS acceptances?

Yeah I visited the new SIS building when I was a Rangel Scholar and epic! I understand got to stay smart about it. My close friend goes to MSFS now and decisions go out by march 15. I applied to American's MEPGA program can't wait to hear back!

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck to everyone doing their Rangel interviews this week! (And those of us waiting for Pickering, hopefully it's next week like legallyproper says!)

Today is the day we will find out about Rangel! I was super impressed with my fellow Rangel interviewees, and I have every confidence in their ability to perform well in the Foreign Service. Good luck to everyone!