2012 Rangel/Pickering Fellowship

top5678

That's too bad PrattlAFF-- but I'm absolutely SURE that we'll meet in D.C. for Pickering interviews. :)

I admire your enthusiasm, and indeed it would be a pleasure to meet you. But if I am a finalist, I would do my interview from abroad. Thank goodness Pickering accommodates finalists who are overseas because I really couldn't afford to come back to the U.S. for another interview :(

'

Meh, I opened a fortune cookie last week that said "confidence is the hinge on the door to success" so I've decided to milk that for what it's worth.

Anyway, luckily enough for you, you have already gone through the interview gauntlet and so have some fresh ideas floating around in your head. It would be nice to get that email--no matter the decision--any day now!

Meh, I opened a fortune cookie last week that said "confidence is the hinge on the door to success" so I've decided to milk that for what it's worth.

Anyway, luckily enough for you, you have already gone through the interview gauntlet and so have some fresh ideas floating around in your head. It would be nice to get that email--no matter the decision--any day now!

I believe attitude is the most important in such a process... No matter what the outcome. Good luck!

Just for Reference:

February - March: Eligible applications reviewed

Late March/early April: 40 GFAF finalists selected, all applicants notified

April 9-10th: GFAF finalists' online writing exams

April 19-20: GFAF finalists' interviews (held in the DC area, Skype interviews available for overseas candidates)

Late April: 20 new Graduate Pickering Fellows selected, all finalists notified

June 3-7th: Mandatory new fellow orientation (held in the DC area)

Just a wonder even though you are definitely going to get Pickering finalist @ Prattiaff if you don't actually get the fellowship just wondering your back up plans. In no way am I shooting negativity because you know I'm rooting for you I'm just curious.

Just a wonder even though you are definitely going to get Pickering finalist @ Prattiaff if you don't actually get the fellowship just wondering your back up plans. In no way am I shooting negativity because you know I'm rooting for you I'm just curious.

Good question. I guess I have two options:

1. I'm ready to go to grad school now and I don't know what I would do with another year for the Pickering/Rangel application cycle. I've decided I'm going to GW, and they've given me a have a half-tuition scholarship. So I'm looking for all the aid I can get to make up the rest. For what I can't make up, I suppose I would have to work and take out loans. I don't like the idea, but I really don't see too many other options.

2. I could also choose to defer for a year, re-apply for the Pickering and Rangel, and hope GW gives me a fellowship again. Then I would try to find something to occupy me for the next year (Hopefully related to my career goals, but if not, then teaching English in Korea or China) The downside to this is the possibility that next year I am admitted to GW without a fellowship and I receive neither the Pickering or Rangel. I don't see how my chances would decrease, but it's one of those "known unknowns"

Any suggestions?

Oh, and of course I would continue with my Foreign Service application. Good thing the FSOT is offered abroad. I've signed up for it several times, but I always think there's more I should do to prepare. So this June I will knock it out for sure.

Curious to know who among us has taken it?!?! Any advice?

I've taken and passed the first part (MC/essay section part) I'm preparing to take the oral, but i am requesting to wait until next year though because of all the prep with TFA

My suggestion is get back in touch with Patricia! She is a vital asset and could provide you with some tips to help you out if u choose to reapply. Honestly I'm definitely reapplying and now that I'm back from break plan to call Patricia at her office to discuss the next steps and what to work on to improve. I will honestly say I screwed up miserably on the writing sample. It sucks but it's true. However, I know I'm great at interviewing no matter what its for so I'll be working on my writing so much over the next two years. Finally, I just personally would recommend to hopefully get finalist for Pickering. Hopefully get it because as we were told and as fellows will say it's impeccable the difference the fellowship programs enrich your FSO career so that's my advice and you seem to have great networks utilize them to find you a paid internship for a year or something just taking loans out isn't worth it plus you made it to finalist for Rangel which speaks volume! Remember that man. Good luck though with everything

Thanks all for the advice and encouragement. I think I should just concentrate on getting the Pickering. So I'll be prepping, and my next steps hinge on the email I'm expecting this week :)

No news on my end yet either. I wouldn't worry though, it seems applicants over the past 2-3 years haven't heard until early April. I wouldn't expect to hear anything before Friday at the earliest! Not that I haven't been checking obsessively anyway... :)

Late March is quickly passing us by... I was hoping we would have heard already. Anyone have any intel?

Just got word that they meet in the upcoming days! Hold tight everyone! I heard from inside sources of State so it's true, no worries!

I'm a finalist! Thrilled and a tiny bit surprised. It's a little silly because I live 15 minutes by foot away from the hotel where the interview will be held. Staycation.

I got a call from Pickering Team saying I was selected as a finalist and wanted to make sure I was going to withdraw my app and I confirmed to them yes and that i was reapplying next year due to my fellowship in Budapest! So KJ90 hopefully that's your new spot as a finalist!! Congrats jrnels and PrattIAFF!!!

Edited by legallyproper

Does anyone have any more background on the interview process? Everything I've read and so far all the people I've talked to said that the writing test happened at FSI. With it happening online before the interview, I wonder what they will be using that extra time for.

I was a undergraduate finalist that made alternate awardee (got the most random essay questions). Ang is correct that undergrads get selected after, approximately a week after I believe. The essay is no longer at FSI. The essay exam is conducted by a third person party via a application and skype (this means death for those with typo problems). Last year the entire process was done at a hotel in DC. There were two sessions that alternated between interviews and info session. I assume the GFAF and undergraduate FAF are similar.

I got a call from Pickering Team saying I was selected as a finalist and wanted to make sure I was going to withdraw my app and I confirmed to them yes and that i was reapplying next year due to my fellowship in Budapest! So KJ90 hopefully that's your new spot as a finalist!! Congrats jrnels and PrattIAFF!!!

Sounds like it'll be a amazing experience. Thanks for withdrawing early. I assume there are more than one alternate so I am not sure of the chances I will get it. I'm a undergraduate finalist that reapplied this year. I'm still competing with older people with years of professional experience and who probably will look more mature. Being Asian does not help with my age.