2012 Rangel/Pickering Fellowship

top5678

Seriously, no word yet? Its killing me!

Likewise. Literally when I saw that someone commented on this thread, I started freaking out that someone got a notification and I didn't. Ha. #anxiety #iamachild

Congrats everyone! I was not as lucky as some of you. So it looks like I'll try again next year. Now just have to find out what to do with the next year of my life :/

Ok so I know that most of you are probably not reading this forum after you've been selected/denied. But I thought I would ask your opinions. Since I was denied both the Pickering and Rangel Fellowships, I have to make a tough decision:

1. I could go ahead and continue with grad school, and take out loans to cover tuition and living expenses.

Pros: I was accepted @ GW with a $30K fellowship, and a $5K need-based grant for the first year. So that is 61% of tuition. I would expect to get another $5K for the second year, but I'm not certain I will.

Cons: I would need to make up $22,500 for tuition, and living expenses (D.C.), books, insurance, etc (GW estimates this at $45K for two years). So I'm looking at possibly taking out $60K in loans. I could take out less if I score a part-time job making good money, and that would likely be in a restaurant (I worked in a restaurant in D.C. during a 5-month unpaid internship, and I had literally no time for anything else - not to mention I averaged one day off a month and I was exhausted the whole time... So I don't want to do that again). And that would mean I'd be missing out on a lot of opportunities in D.C. (Amazing, although unpaid, internships, public events, networking ops, etc.)... So Im looking at a lot of debt despite an aid package from GW that some people would kill for.

2. I could defer/reapply for grad school for a year, and hope to find something I can work on in the meantime...

Pros: I would have another shot at both the Rangel and Pickering fellowship. I would be able to improve my application (work experience/ GRE Math score, etc). I would be able to reapply for a wider range of schools in case funding becomes an issue again.

Cons: None of the fellowships are guaranteed, and I could possibly forfeit the GW fellowship and end up with absolutely no funding. It would be somewhat difficult to find a relevant job for such a short period of time. (I could do an ESL job in China or something, which would look good and probably be a great experience, but teaching English is not something that truly interests me)

Any advice?

This is for an MA, correct? There's other threads here re: fellowships and MAs but from what I know, your extremely lucky to get any funding for an MA. Most take out loans.

Yes this is for an MA. And you're right that funding for MA's is extremely rare (esp. GW)... I just had high hopes for Rangel and Pickering so I accepted an offer from my first choice school... So I would rather go to a lower tier school for no additional debt than my dream school for $40K-$50K on top of my undergrad debt.

Some people would justify this by citing earning potential with an MA from a top school... but there are no guarantees of employment and I'm not necessarily getting an MA to increase my earning potential. I want it so I can pursue my dreams (cliche, I know, but it's true)... and loads of debt is a sure way to turn a dream into a nightmare.

Ok so I know that most of you are probably not reading this forum after you've been selected/denied. But I thought I would ask your opinions. Since I was denied both the Pickering and Rangel Fellowships, I have to make a tough decision:

1. I could go ahead and continue with grad school, and take out loans to cover tuition and living expenses.

Pros: I was accepted @ GW with a $30K fellowship, and a $5K need-based grant for the first year. So that is 61% of tuition. I would expect to get another $5K for the second year, but I'm not certain I will.

Cons: I would need to make up $22,500 for tuition, and living expenses (D.C.), books, insurance, etc (GW estimates this at $45K for two years). So I'm looking at possibly taking out $60K in loans. I could take out less if I score a part-time job making good money, and that would likely be in a restaurant (I worked in a restaurant in D.C. during a 5-month unpaid internship, and I had literally no time for anything else - not to mention I averaged one day off a month and I was exhausted the whole time... So I don't want to do that again). And that would mean I'd be missing out on a lot of opportunities in D.C. (Amazing, although unpaid, internships, public events, networking ops, etc.)... So Im looking at a lot of debt despite an aid package from GW that some people would kill for.

2. I could defer/reapply for grad school for a year, and hope to find something I can work on in the meantime...

Pros: I would have another shot at both the Rangel and Pickering fellowship. I would be able to improve my application (work experience/ GRE Math score, etc). I would be able to reapply for a wider range of schools in case funding becomes an issue again.

Cons: None of the fellowships are guaranteed, and I could possibly forfeit the GW fellowship and end up with absolutely no funding. It would be somewhat difficult to find a relevant job for such a short period of time. (I could do an ESL job in China or something, which would look good and probably be a great experience, but teaching English is not something that truly interests me)

Any advice?

As I stated in a prior post I think if you have an opportunity that can be lined up for you with your current program or networks through that do it for a year and then reapply. You were chosen as a finalist for both and I am telling you friends of mine didn't get it the first try and the second time they were selected! Rangels and Pickerings who are now FSOs have done it and I am planning to do it too!

Depending how much you have in loans from undergrad I would be very mindful because your other biggest expenditure is going to be the cost of living in DC! It's so expensive even in Northern VA and nearby cities in MD. So, along with the 20K+ in tuition/fees to come up with you have a steep cost for living expenses (rent, etc.).

It's a tough decision but something you have to come up with. Keep in touch and let me know what you decide. I'd love to chat about this further man!

Good luck

Same. Over the moon right now. :)

Is Pickering going to give you money since you already have the FLAS to cover your full tuition? I know how Rangel works and they will still give you your living stipend but if you have a full tuition scholarship you get none of that money if it's covered. I didn't know if you knew but again CONGRATS! :D

Is Pickering going to give you money since you already have the FLAS to cover your full tuition? I know how Rangel works and they will still give you your living stipend but if you have a full tuition scholarship you get none of that money if it's covered. I didn't know if you knew but again CONGRATS! :D

FLAS doesn't cover my full tuition and fees for some reason (maybe because it's a private school? don't know). So I have $18K FLAS for tuition and then $40K Pickering to cover the rest of tuition plus room and board and fees, etc. I'd have about $1,500 of Pickering leftover, which I'd use to reimburse the cost of books. Not exactly sure how the $15K FLAS stipend will play into it, but I talked to Yale about it and they said I'll still get the stipend meted out monthly, so that's a nice little bonus!

Edited by jrnels

• 2 weeks later...

FLAS doesn't cover my full tuition and fees for some reason (maybe because it's a private school? don't know). So I have $18K FLAS for tuition and then $40K Pickering to cover the rest of tuition plus room and board and fees, etc. I'd have about $1,500 of Pickering leftover, which I'd use to reimburse the cost of books. Not exactly sure how the $15K FLAS stipend will play into it, but I talked to Yale about it and they said I'll still get the stipend meted out monthly, so that's a nice little bonus!

Awesome I was just wondering because Georgetown said I'd get all of it! I'm excited! I see you are doing French! Awesome, I'm doing German (scary)!

• 2 years later...

I've taken and passed the first part (MC/essay section part) I'm preparing to take the oral, but i am requesting to wait until next year though because of all the prep with TFA

My suggestion is get back in touch with Patricia! She is a vital asset and could provide you with some tips to help you out if u choose to reapply. Honestly I'm definitely reapplying and now that I'm back from break plan to call Patricia at her office to discuss the next steps and what to work on to improve. I will honestly say I screwed up miserably on the writing sample. It sucks but it's true. However, I know I'm great at interviewing no matter what its for so I'll be working on my writing so much over the next two years. Finally, I just personally would recommend to hopefully get finalist for Pickering. Hopefully get it because as we were told and as fellows will say it's impeccable the difference the fellowship programs enrich your FSO career so that's my advice and you seem to have great networks utilize them to find you a paid internship for a year or something just taking loans out isn't worth it plus you made it to finalist for Rangel which speaks volume! Remember that man. Good luck though with everything

Hello legallyproper!

When you say you messed up on your writing portion, what did you do wrong?

Thanks and All the best!