Indiana

ewurgler

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be me, Tritone. I double majored in Ethnic Studies and Psychology at UCSD so that is probably why they are requesting an interview.

You went to UCSD?? Me too!!!! Maybe they like us over at indiana.

In case you are interested--Brian Steensland from INdiana sociology is giving a talk at ucsd on friday.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey--

So is anyone planning to visit?

I just booked my flights for the weekend of feb 26th.

Anyone else?

Could you please tell me how the visit goes? I'd love to visit the campus (if I get in, that is) but funds are a bit tight. Any comments would be greatly appreciated! :)

Could you please tell me how the visit goes? I'd love to visit the campus (if I get in, that is) but funds are a bit tight. Any comments would be greatly appreciated! :)

So I visited IU this weekend and really had a fantastic experience. Shana, the graduate coordinator asked me who I wanted to meet with faculty-wise, set up a bunch of meetings, scheduled lunch with grad students, had me going to a talk, and had me stay with a 5th year current grad with similar interests.

The girl I stayed with was amazingly sweet and helpful and we got along really well. All of the faculty and students I talked to said similar things about the program: there is a bit more coursework than a lot of programs, you teach your own class starting your 3rd year so you get lots of experience, everyone gets along and there are no real feuds or sub-field fractures, and you are very much supported throughout the time you spend in the department. Even in this economy, 5 of 7 of this years PhDs on the market already have a job for next year (including Penn state and a few high ranking liberal arts schools).

I went to a happy hour the grad students have once a month (about 25 of them were there) and they were all super friendly and eager to talk to me and give me all the information I needed. Generally, they all had good things to say about the department, the school and Bloomington.

As for Bloomington, I really really liked it. The campus is BEAUTIFUL, with most buildings being made of local limestone. The "downtown" area has lots of ethnic restaurants, cools bars, lunch places, etc. The farther out of the center you go, the more "indiana" it feels with Chili's and applebee's-type places. The neighborhoods are really beautiful as well and rent and/or houses are SUPER CHEAP!!!

Overall, I had a really great visit, and I encourage everyone who got in to try to go even though there is no visit day. I think it may even be better without a visit day, as I was the "center of attention" and everyone wanted to talk to me :)

I was really thrilled and it will be a tough school to beat for me.

For those of you planning to go to IU, I would recommend watching Breaking Away (coming of age story; it is a classic made in 1979, forgotten by most and revived thanks to Long Tail and Netflix). It is a great movie and I remember looking at the campus and loving it.

Of course, the movie should appeal to everyone; so, if you feel like a good movie, netflix breaking away!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078902/

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Away-Wid ... B0009HLD0K

PS: Jackie Earle Haley (Little Children; 2006) gives a good performance as one of the teenagers (Moocher). It also has Dennis Quaid as one of the teenagers with some issues about students in IU.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone who was accepted decided not to attend Indiana? I just got waitlisted, and I'm now beginning to obsess over my chances of getting in :wink:

Additionally, does anyone know the protocol about visiting waitlisted schools? I wouldn't think they would offer funding to visit, but just to be able to make a decision when the time comes (if it comes). Or perhaps I'll visit and have an experience like ewurgler and never want to leave :)

ready for change: They don't give you any money to visit even for accepted students, but if you want to pay to fly out, I would bet they could put you up with current grads. Email patricia and shana and ask about it. They really want everyone who is considering to visit, so I'm sure they would be happy to have you.

ready for change: They don't give you any money to visit even for accepted students, but if you want to pay to fly out, I would bet they could put you up with current grads. Email patricia and shana and ask about it. They really want everyone who is considering to visit, so I'm sure they would be happy to have you.

I was informed today that I was admitted! I am very excited because IUB is closest to my girlfriend's school in terms of proximity (OSU) and is also a great program in itself. The only thing I'm slightly worried is the racial prejudice; not in Bloomington, but the areas surrounding the school. I have a family friend who had a female colleague shot and killed by KKK while he was completing his Master's degree there. I know I'm being paranoid, but I can't help but worry. It doesn't help that the female student and I are of the same nationality.

While that's scary and tragic in and of itself, I'd have to think that overall Bloomington is still going to be a safer area with respect to crime than, say, most larger urban areas. You want scary statistics, check out USC. Having grown up in the midwest, I can say that while there are certainly lingering racial prejudices in many rural areas, racially inspired shootings are not a regular occurrence.

scsuh: Congrats!!!! Definitely try to visit if you can.

Yikes!! about that woman! When was that? Recently?

Thanks! I'll definitely look into visiting. Maybe I can borrow some money from my parents to visit. :mrgreen:

The family friend is around 40 yrs old, so I figure the event occurred some 10-15 years ago.

While that's scary and tragic in and of itself, I'd have to think that overall Bloomington is still going to be a safer area with respect to crime than, say, most larger urban areas. You want scary statistics, check out USC. Having grown up in the midwest, I can say that while there are certainly lingering racial prejudices in many rural areas, racially inspired shootings are not a regular occurrence.

I agree with you synthla; LA is probably overall much more dangerous than any city in Indiana. That said, I lived in LA for most of my life and feel much more at ease there than I do in areas of little to no racial diversity. A lot of that probably has to do with the fact that I am not White. Also, I figure that race-related violence is going to be a given in any major metropolitan area that is as diverse as LA. I think race inspired shootings in LA are of a much different variant than the ones that occur in more rural-White dominated areas. Just my $0.02. Don't mean to beat a dead horse or open up a can of worms.

I agree with you synthla; LA is probably overall much more dangerous than any city in Indiana. That said, I lived in LA for most of my life and feel much more at ease there than I do in areas of little to no racial diversity. A lot of that probably has to do with the fact that I am not White. Also, I figure that race-related violence is going to be a given in any major metropolitan area that is as diverse as LA. I think race inspired shootings in LA are of a much different variant than the ones that occur in more rural-White dominated areas. Just my $0.02. Don't mean to beat a dead horse or open up a can of worms.

I definitely see your point; from what I understand Bloomington is a very accepting place, but I know you were mostly worried about the smaller towns outside of the city itself. That's a tougher issue admittedly... although you may not find many reasons to go anywhere other than Bloomington and Indianapolis, which has a significant non-white population. Even though I grew up in the midwest, I've split the last decade between NYC and LA, so I'm a little wary of rural-white dominated area thinking myself (even though I'm white). But I'm leaving to visit Indiana tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have good things to report. And good luck with your decision!

Is it normal to not have heard anything from Indiana by this time?

I hate having to wait so much. I already got waitlisted at Duke and i got a No from harvard. still waiting to hear from Chicago and Indiana.

just received a letter from Indiana telling me I made the wait list. If someone who got accepted is thinking about going somehwere else, please tell them now! I hate having to wait so long.

ps: fuck the economy!

• 5 weeks later...

I just got an email from the DGS asking me if i was still interested. They are waiting for 4 spots to be filled, so they might not have an answer for me until next week. Please, if you are not going there, let them know!!! this is killing me!

I just got an email from the DGS asking me if i was still interested. They are waiting for 4 spots to be filled, so they might not have an answer for me until next week. Please, if you are not going there, let them know!!! this is killing me!

Just declined my offer. I hope you're the next off the waiting list!