UCLA MSW Fall 2012

KMSW

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys. I know it's hard, but try not to stress out just yet. UCLA's review process is really long and they didn't let a lot of my cohort know they got in until late April. And it is true that GRE scores don't really matter. They don't even look at the math score.

I am a first year UCLA MSW and am open to answering any question you have about the program now or after you get in. Lstockly@ucla.edu

Hey guys. I know it's hard, but try not to stress out just yet. UCLA's review process is really long and they didn't let a lot of my cohort know they got in until late April. And it is true that GRE scores don't really matter. They don't even look at the math score.

I am a first year UCLA MSW and am open to answering any question you have about the program now or after you get in. Lstockly@ucla.edu

Thanks for the reply. We'll try not to get too stressed out, especially since a couple people have already heard back! I do have a question for you. I'm waiting to hear back from Berkeley, UCLA, and USC and am leaning heavily towards USC and Berkeley. What do you feel like UCLA's strengths are? What are you happiest with about the program?

Thanks for help! But sadly, I'm already stressed. UGH!

I got an email that I should get a response by March 30th, so I'm counting down the weeks.

Do you know if the Mental Health specialization is the most competitive in the practice method? Any info that you have would be helpful. Thanks! :)

Thanks for the reply. We'll try not to get too stressed out, especially since a couple people have already heard back! I do have a question for you. I'm waiting to hear back from Berkeley, UCLA, and USC and am leaning heavily towards USC and Berkeley. What do you feel like UCLA's strengths are? What are you happiest with about the program?

My suggestion would be to narrow it down to UCLA and Berkeley. They are both very strong programs and Berkeley is the highest ranked in CA. This is not to say that USC does not also have a very good program as well, it is just hard to justify the $80k+ price tag when going there over UCLA wont give you an advantage in your career.

One of the things I really like about UCLA is that they keep each cohort to about 100 students. I know almost everyone in my class and we have become close and use each other as supports. We often have smaller classes and it makes professors more accessible. This also means that UCLA must be very selective in their admissions process. Internship sites know this and sometimes favor UCLA students because of it. One of the main complaints I have heard from my USC friends is that they don't know most of their class and sometimes feel lost because USC accepts so many hundreds of students.

UCLA has been going up in the rankings and I believe it might have just passed USC. USC went down, not because of issues with its program, but because of the addition of the new online program which affected their ranking.

You probably wont hear about the fellowships until April. If you filled out a fafsa then you will also get part of the "professional fee" back (I got $2k). I also have an IUC stipend this year ($18,500). CalSwec is a 2 year stipend that is another option.

For those of us who haven't gotten a response, is your status still "Submitted"?

Yup. I am trying hard not to email or call Lance in order to bug him. I really want to get an idea of when I will get my decision. Whether its good or bad. I'm just going to have to wait. :wacko:

I hope I hear some good or bad news this week. This anxious feeling is horrible! I wonder if UCLA has a waitlist. Does anyone know?

I have lost all confidence.

Being the procratinator that I am, I waited till the very last day to apply to UCLA, Jan,15th! I haven't received an e-mail... So, I'm super anxious! I did get accepted to the CSULB Advance Standing Program :) I am suppossed to go to their orientation this Saturday, I just wish I had an answer from UCLA already!

This wait sucks! Lol. @Jane...congrats to the advance standing program at CSULB. I'm from the BSW program from there too and a very few of my friends got into CSULB advance standing. It's going to be intense. I'm also waiting to hear from UCLA too. I just hate constantly checking my phone for their email.

Deciding whether to email or call Lance has been on my mind. Should I? What should I say or write? lol

Checking my email has become my daily nightmare. lol

I hope this will be over soon. Whether good or bad.

But one of my friends who is currently in the program got accepted April 10th. So there is still time. Right? I hope so :) Good luck to those waiting like me!

I am also waiting to hear back from UCLA. My question to those who have received email confirmations as well as acceptance letters, did those go to your personal email accounts that you used to apply, or is there a separate UCLA site to check the status? I have been checking the email that I used when I submitted my application as well as the UCLA application webpage. I never received any confirmation that all my paperwork was received or anything, and when I emailed the department, I got no response... so that makes me nervous. Very poor communication for such a well known school. I mainly want to know if I need to look elsewhere, or just await a denial or approval via my personal email account.

p.s. I applied on 12/22/11, so anxiously awaiting as well. So far I got accepted to CSU Northridge.

I am also waiting to hear back from UCLA. My question to those who have received email confirmations as well as acceptance letters, did those go to your personal email accounts that you used to apply, or is there a separate UCLA site to check the status? I have been checking the email that I used when I submitted my application as well as the UCLA application webpage. I never received any confirmation that all my paperwork was received or anything, and when I emailed the department, I got no response... so that makes me nervous. Very poor communication for such a well known school. I mainly want to know if I need to look elsewhere, or just await a denial or approval via my personal email account.

p.s. I applied on 12/22/11, so anxiously awaiting as well. So far I got accepted to CSU Northridge.

I applied on 12/5/11

I have been getting emails sent to my personal account. My application status still says submitted so checking the website isnt helpful.

During the application process there was communication between lance fooks and i, it was confirmation that they had recieved some document although i cant recall which it was and after i had been admitted hes been very quick to answer additional questions. Maybe you can email him instead of the general ssw email.

I know you all should hear back before april but i dont know which week in march specifically.

And congrats on northridge!

Edited by missdanielle

I called Lance on Friday, and he checked the status of my application. He said that my app was already reviewed by the committee and the final decision is being confirmed by the head of the department. He said this should mean I will know very soon. I applied 12/15 just in time for the fellowship deadline. I don't know if it is the same for those who applied before or around the same time I applied.

I called Lance on Friday, and he checked the status of my application. He said that my app was already reviewed by the committee and the final decision is being confirmed by the head of the department. He said this should mean I will know very soon. I applied 12/15 just in time for the fellowship deadline. I don't know if it is the same for those who applied before or around the same time I applied.

Thanks for the info!