UCLA MSW Fall 2012

KMSW

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I called Lance on Friday, and he checked the status of my application. He said that my app was already reviewed by the committee and the final decision is being confirmed by the head of the department. He said this should mean I will know very soon. I applied 12/15 just in time for the fellowship deadline. I don't know if it is the same for those who applied before or around the same time I applied.

I had my application and materials submitted in late October. I still haven't heard back yet. =(

Lance returned my call right now after inquiring about my application status this morning and told me

that the admissions committee has completed review of my application and that all that is needed is final approval from the department chair. He said I could hear back today or at the end of the month. Don't know if this is good news or not.!!! My application was complete in October. Does anyone have an guidance on what this might mean?! So nervous right now!!!!!!!!!

Edited by vmpancucci

I could be wrong - but I think once the admissions committee makes a recommendation, it just needs the final approval from the department chair.

Breathe vmpancucci! I wish you the best!!

Thanks for the reassurance, Inspired10! I don't know if the department needs approval for both admission and rejection! So nervous, but I'll take your advice and breathe! Good luck to you, as well, unless you got in. In that case, congrats!!! =)

Lance returned my call right now after inquiring about my application status this morning and told me

that the admissions committee has completed review of my application and that all that is needed is final approval from the department chair. He said I could hear back today or at the end of the month. Don't know if this is good news or not.!!! My application was complete in October. Does anyone have an guidance on what this might mean?! So nervous right now!!!!!!!!!

I think this sounds like a good sign. At least to me it does. :) Sending you positive vibes!!

I totally get your anxiety. I found out a few other people got accepted already which caused me tremendous stress. To the point where i couldnt sleep last night. lol While I was happy for them, I couldn't help but wonder, whats going on with my application. Are my GRE scores too low? Were my personal/professional statements bad? AHhhhhh The stress needs to be over soon!!!

I emailed and called Lance today. I hope he calls me back soon and gives me an update :unsure:

Good luck to everyone else!!

This wait sucks! Lol. @Jane...congrats to the advance standing program at CSULB. I'm from the BSW program from there too and a very few of my friends got into CSULB advance standing. It's going to be intense. I'm also waiting to hear from UCLA too. I just hate constantly checking my phone for their email.

Thnx! Waiting for UCLA is realy becoming obsesive compulsive, checking for e-mails and making sure my phone has the ringer on (o_O) The wait is killing me!!! Mean while I'm going through all the motions for CSULB...

Edited by janethm82

Congrats!!!!!!! When did you hear?! What did the email say if you don't mind sharing? =D

I heard yesterday. The email said:

Dear XXXXX,

Congratulations on your admission to the MSW Program at UCLA!

Please find the attached admission letter from Professor Fernando Torres-Gil, Chair of the Social Welfare Department.

Save the Date!

April 10, 2012

Welcome Day for newly admitted MSW students

Go Bruins!

Lance Fooks

Edited by Future MSW 2012

Congratulations Future MSW 2012!!

I, too was accepted. It seems as all the letters are the same.

I kinda felt bummed that they didn't include the time for the Save the date next month. It's so close and I will still be taking classes during Spring Quarter.

I kinda felt bummed that they didn't include the time for the Save the date next month. It's so close and I will still be taking classes during Spring Quarter.

Congrats Inspired10!!!! When did you hear? I submitted and had all my materials in last week of October. Lance said my application has gone through review and is just awaiting approval from the department chair. I'm so tired of waiting!

I heard two days ago.

vmpancucci - I'm sure they are just backlogged with all the applicant reviews. You seem to have received acceptances from very GOOD schools. I don't doubt that you will get into a great program either way. What is your top choice if you don't mind me asking?

I heard two days ago.

vmpancucci - I'm sure they are just backlogged with all the applicant reviews. You seem to have received acceptances from very GOOD schools. I don't doubt that you will get into a great program either way. What is your top choice if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks, Inspired10. That's very nice of you! I'm from California, but have been living in Boston for 2 years. I definitely want to go back to California. I would happy with Berkeley and UCLA. I would love to go to USC, but am waiting to hear how much it's going to cost to go! What's your first choice if you don't mind me asking? =)

All those California options are great. Regarding USC, I agree completely with your decision to wait on the funding. I believe there was a thread last year comparing UCLA and USC's MSW program. The results were mixed in terms of whether it was beneficial to choose a program that was so expensive for a graduate program, especially at a MSW level. But anyways, since I have not been to either program, I can't really comment much on this topic.

I'm going to accept UCLA, since that is the only program I applied!

CONGRATS Inspired10!

Im so happy for you guys but now I am super anxious about my application. I called and emailed Lance and have not received a single response :(

I wondering if UCLA accepts students based on their concentration? Hmmmmm

Either way, CONGRATS to those getting accepted! Doesn't it feel great when you get that letter or email? :D

I, too, received an email yesterday stating that I was admitted into UCLA's MSW program. My acceptance letter reads exactly like the others. But as I was reading the letter, I became concerned about the wording. My attached letter states that the Chair of the Social Welfare Dpt. has "recommended" to the Graduate Division that I be admitted into the program. When perusing other forums, I saw that someone who was admitted into Cal's MSW program recently spoke w/ someone in admissions. They said that it is ultimately up to the Graduate Division to determine whether we get in or not. This person received their "acceptance" email last week but has heard nothing since from the department. So I was elated yesterday and now I'm just confused, almost borderline worried. Bah! Maybe I'm just being too anal over semantics. The email DID say congratulations on your admission to the program. But that word "recommended" is rubbing me the wrong way. Can someone give me piece of mind before I drive myself crazy? I emailed Lance but I'm pretty sure he's inundated with all of these crazy people asking stupid questions...like me! Thanks and congrats to those who got in!

MSW Girl,

I don't know anything about UCLA's MSW program in particular, but my spouse is a PhD student at another UC school, and her graduate program works the same way as what you are describing. The department reviews applications and recommends they be admitted to the program, then the Graduate Division gives them the go-ahead for the students they have recommended. I have NEVER heard of anyone being rejected by the Graduate Division. It is up to the departments who they admit, basically. The only issue I can see is that if there is a minimum GPA or GRE cut-off point the Graduate Division uses at that school, the department may have to petition the Graduate Division to make an exception. Also, for PhD programs, the Graduate Division determines the bulk of the funding, so when they really like applicants the department has decided on they give them funding through the graduate division. The remaining students receive funding from the department, outside sources, or loans (although PhDs are commonly funded well, unlike most MSW programs!) I don't know how it works for the MSW programs but it may be similar.

I hope that helps to ease your mind! You are in, there is no need to worry.

Hello Wishing,

Thanks so much for your feedback! I heard back from an Admissions Associate in the MSW department and he echoed what you said. He told me not to worry about the wording and that it must be written with that terminology. My friend attended UCLA for her MSW and pretty much said the same thing. But thanks again and congrats on BU!