Anyone else in kind of a slump?

juilletmercredi

It's my fourth year of a PhD program. I finished my coursework and my written qualifying exam already. I'm currently studying for my second set of qualifying exams (orals) and am also supposed to be writing my comprehensive paper. This summer I should be writing my prospectus, and given that my data collection is already finished, I should be finished writing my dissertation in spring 2013, and should defend in spring/early summer of 2013. I only have a year left. There's a light at the end of the tunnel.

So why can't I get motivated to do anything? Normally I am a procrastinator anyway, but I got so much better around my second year of graduate school. I was doing things early, getting things done, moving and shaking. Now I'd rather do things I hate than the things I really love. I actually love reading articles and studying for my orals, but I'll put it aside in favor of washing my dishes or doing laundry. I don't know why. Sometimes I just sit and think - about my career in the future, about whether I'm going to get a job, about the weather, about everything ELSE. And whenever I get to actually doing work that will help me graduate, suddenly I am sleepy.

I'm still really passionate about my field, I still want to do research in it, I still see myself having a career in public health (just not necessarily in academia). But I'm getting kind of burned out, and I realize that. I came to this program from undergrad. I need to know that this happens to other grad students (especially in PhD programs) and that you can successfully jump over the hump and get out of the funk. Anyone?

I actually love reading articles and studying for my orals, but I'll put it aside in favor of washing my dishes or doing laundry. I don't know why.

that's a bad thing? dishes and laundry need to get done. I don't think you need to feel guilty about that.

It's my fourth year of a PhD program. I finished my coursework and my written qualifying exam already. I'm currently studying for my second set of qualifying exams (orals) and am also supposed to be writing my comprehensive paper. This summer I should be writing my prospectus, and given that my data collection is already finished, I should be finished writing my dissertation in spring 2013, and should defend in spring/early summer of 2013. I only have a year left. There's a light at the end of the tunnel.

So why can't I get motivated to do anything? Normally I am a procrastinator anyway, but I got so much better around my second year of graduate school. I was doing things early, getting things done, moving and shaking. Now I'd rather do things I hate than the things I really love. I actually love reading articles and studying for my orals, but I'll put it aside in favor of washing my dishes or doing laundry. I don't know why. Sometimes I just sit and think - about my career in the future, about whether I'm going to get a job, about the weather, about everything ELSE. And whenever I get to actually doing work that will help me graduate, suddenly I am sleepy.

I'm still really passionate about my field, I still want to do research in it, I still see myself having a career in public health (just not necessarily in academia). But I'm getting kind of burned out, and I realize that. I came to this program from undergrad. I need to know that this happens to other grad students (especially in PhD programs) and that you can successfully jump over the hump and get out of the funk. Anyone?

Oh God yes! This is EXACTLY where I am at right now. I'm a 2nd year in a Masters program, and I'm set to be done by December... and my motivation to do ANYTHING is kaput! I'm through all of the entry issues of Grad School (all of the prereq's, understanding the programming languages I work with), and I've even co-authored a paper with my Advisor, but I'm in somewhat of a rut right now.

The funny thing is that I just got engaged a few weeks ago (to someone I've been with for 8 years... so it's a big deal), and I really thought that having that to look forward at the finish line would motivate me... but no.

Honestly, I've been working hard, but I just can't seem to really get my work focused, and frankly, I've terrified to show any of it to my advisor because she will probably think it's crap (yeah, I'm also afraid of my advisor... but that's another story). I'm just starting to wonder what is needed right now. Do I need to take a break, do I need to drop out, am I doing just fine and don't realize it, or do I need my ass kicked? All I can say is that I'm in a fog right now, and it's frustrating!

I wish I could offer advice, but I hope knowing you are not alone at least helps.

Best of luck getting out of your funk.

Oh, and BTW, there is NOTHING wrong with being motivated to do household chores, or anything else non-grad school. Something tells me that when your motivation kicks back in (and it will :) ) that those things will take a back seat, and so it's good to focus a little on them if needed (or desired).

That sounds completely normal. I'm not there yet, but I imagine that I will be one day. You'll be fine man, just stay optimistic and enjoy life.

I'm most of the way through my 3rd year, and I completely understand how you feel. One of the things that has helped me is a couple of close friends my same year- we've all had ups and downs at different times, and they've always been there to badger and encourage me out of my slumps.

Lately it's just seemed like everything else is pushing my research out of the way- whether it's the course I'm teaching, or one or the other of my side projects, or my undergraduates project needing a large push from me to get it back on course, or needing to write sections for a grant or a review paper.... And since I'm past cumulative exams, there's nothing out in front of me but this big expanse of "research", and not a lot of direction other than "you need to get results and publish to stay competitive".

One of the things that is really helping me getting out of the current slump is that we just got notification that we were awarded a major grant that will go in large part to funding my work- and that's been both an encouragement that someone else thinks my work is meaningful and a fire under me to get results with that money to ensure future funding.

My advice is to just plug away and work through it. As long as you put in a few solid hours of work each day, you'll eventually make progress. And reward yourself. Say things like, I'll read this article then wash the dishes, then read another article and fold my laundry. That kind of thing.

FWIW, I went through a huge slump last spring/summer. I basically stopped working altogether and did nothing but search for jobs, goof off on the internet, and read books for pleasure for a few weeks. I'm not actually quite sure when or why I started working again but, it's been several months and I'm still not into a solid work rhythm. Now, some of this may be due to moving abroad for fieldwork but I think some of it is the lingering funk.

Do let us know if you figure out something that works. I'll probably try to steal it. ;)

i am studying for comps, preparing my dissertation overview, and getting through the last classes i will ever have to take right now. and yet... i'm in a total slump. for a history student, being ABD is the dream, because that's when you can just settle into your research, travel abroad, dig through archives, and write. i have fellowships for all my remaining years (thanks, canada!), so i don't have to teach, but can if i want to. by the end of april i will be in an amazing position. but right now? total slump.

there is a daunting stack of books i need to read. as i look back through the ones i already "read," i realize i shortchanged about 1/3 of them and should probably re-read them. others i read well at the time and took terrible notes, and those are some of the foundational texts in my field. if i thought that i'd still be able to think clearly on them, i'd probably load up on uppers right now.

i don't know how to get through it. even being afraid to fail out/lose fellowships/have my advisor hate me isn't enough to push me through. oh well.

So many of these posts describe my context exactly. Done courses, done comp exams, done ethics clearance, doing most of my data collection this spring... hoping for Dr. Andsowego to be born in spring, 2013. ;)

I have found it sooooo hard to stay motivated at times! However, I've had some great advice: We're not meant to work 24/7 on academics. Life isn't like that, and even though it's hard to feel "good" about doing dishes, or reading for pleasure, or surfing the 'net, it's okay. Sometimes I think that as grad students (especially PhD-ers) we are programmed to feel guilty if we're not working ALL the time. It can become very disheartening, and really unhealthy - psychologically, emotionally, physically. What I found after my most recent unmotivated time period, is that my brain really needed the break. Staring at a 1000+ page book made me physically ill. I think the unmotivated slump was my body's way of telling me to CHILL OUT for a while.

there is a daunting stack of books i need to read.

I've heard it suggested that we put the pile of Need To Read books out of sight and set up an empty bookshelf upon which we put each book as we complete it (any designated spot would probably also work). It's less daunting, the sense of accomplishment as the shelf fills up is greater, and it motivates you to tackle another book.

I keep books I'm waiting to read in my library carrell shelf, and books I've read/am using for current reference in my office on the shelf.

It definitely helps me not feel overwhelmed most of the time, but I can go sit in my carrell when I have the time to read and enjoy looking at all the cool stuff I'm waiting to get to.

just to show how bad my slump is, i went through my entire closet and threw out everything with holes or stains in it. five garbage bags worth of clothing that have been waiting to be purged since my first year of college. and i did laundry and cleaned the bathroom and exercised this morning (which i usually do at night, if at all). i must really not want to get to work...

just to show how bad my slump is, i went through my entire closet and threw out everything with holes or stains in it. five garbage bags worth of clothing that have been waiting to be purged since my first year of college. and i did laundry and cleaned the bathroom and exercised this morning (which i usually do at night, if at all). i must really not want to get to work...

I read the Chicago Tribune this morning. I hate the Chicago Tribune, but I read it to avoid having to get started on writing a methods section for a paper I'm collaborating on.

Worst 45 minutes spent in a long time.

This thread is a dream right now. I'm in a funk, slump, rut, fog...whatever you want to call it, I'm in it...big time. Except I feel ridiculous because I'm not years into my degree...I'm in my 2nd semester of a 2 year MA program. I started out this semester ready to really nail it, and I felt for a few weeks that I was keeping on top of things, managing my time a little better, getting used to the work load and all of that. But it all came to a complete stop when I let this absurd human being get inside my head after a terrible night out with him. While trying to just get over it I couldn't concentrate on anything else, when I finally did let it go I figured ok...now it's going to happen, I'm going to get right back on track. But it hasn't happened yet and it's been weeks. I'm totally done and over it, but over the following weeks I've found myself absolutely devoid of motivation. I feel like I've lost it, that happiness and peace I had all last semester. Almost everyday I found myself thinking "damn, life is good, I made it." Within a few months of attending my top choice school in my dream city I landed a paid internship for the current school year, a dream part-time job that will start this summer all within 2 months of my first semester. I was on top of the world. But I don't feel that way anymore. Deep down I know I'm still doing what I should be doing and still consider myself damn lucky. Quitting is certainly not an option and it's not something I'm even remotely considering. I feel like it's just a matter of talking and convincing myself out of it. But I'm finding that tougher than I think it should be. I'm pretty down and out about it, like "why can't I just get over this already and get on with it?" All I know is that I'm frustrated with my internship for a number of reasons, the thought of the papers I have to do makes me sad, the days are creeping by and the work isn't getting done, which makes me feel even more inadequate. I'm really hoping that a trip to visit the fam over spring break will be a good recharge...just have keep plowing through until that time comes.

I'm in the last semester of my Master's program, and I'm about ready to bin it all and spend the rest of my life making coffee and writting bad poems about why philosophy in general and Plato in particular should die in a fire. I'm in Classics, hoping to get into a classical archaeology program. I'm focused on Rome and Latin. My Greek is still pretty terrible (dyslexia and the greek alphabet really don't get along, but I keep plugging away because I'm insane). I hate philosophy with the fire of a thousand suns, but I'm stuck with a seminar on Plato because there's only been one seminar offered while I've been here that was Latin/Rome. This is my third year. So that's six semesters, one seminar available per semester. We've had 1 Latin, 1 Proseminar (heavily Greek focused, by the way), and 4 or 5 Greek seminars. I need two seminars for the degree. Last semester it was Iambic Poetry (might have been better, but we were supposed to get Latin/Roman this semester, so I passed). The semester before that it was Greek Pederasty (as an institution and in literature, but yeah, not for me).

This class makes me hate my life. I avoid all things school related, probably because they remind me that I have stupid shit to do for this damn class. I'm hoping that some good news will come in soon just so that I have a reason to knuckle down and get some shit done. Because right now, NOTHING is happening.

• 2 years later...

This post describes my life for the last YEAR. I finished my written and oral comps in August of 2013 and have done basically nothing for my dissertation for the last 13 months  :mellow:

I attribute some of this to life happening and a ton of emotionally draining situations (the death of both grandmothers, my childhood dog, and then my own surgery along with the hospitalization of my boyfriend). But now things are settled down and everything seems to be going well in my life...yet I can't get motivated to do ANYTHING for my dissertation. I don't want to research, meet with my professors, or as my mentor would say "put my ass in the chair"

Has anyone come up with anything that works to get out of the slump / rut / funk?? I need to make some progress and get this PhD. soon.

Please help! any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by Shelly23

That sounds like a lot of heavy life events to deal with in a short amount of time. Maybe starting off with a counseling session or two will help you figure out what you need to do.

Has anyone come up with anything that works to get out of the slump / rut / funk?? I need to make some progress and get this PhD. soon.

This post describes my life for the last YEAR. I finished my written and oral comps in August of 2013 and have done basically nothing for my dissertation for the last 13 months  :mellow:

I attribute some of this to life happening and a ton of emotionally draining situations (the death of both grandmothers, my childhood dog, and then my own surgery along with the hospitalization of my boyfriend). But now things are settled down and everything seems to be going well in my life...yet I can't get motivated to do ANYTHING for my dissertation. I don't want to research, meet with my professors, or as my mentor would say "put my ass in the chair"

That sounds like a lot of heavy life events to deal with in a short amount of time. Maybe starting off with a couple of counseling sessions will help you figure out what you need to do to get out of this funk.

Here is what I'd suggest trying....Start small and gradually increase your workload. You've been out of your routine for a year and experienced some difficult life events. Cut yourself some slack. If you put in 20 minutes of work in one day, that will be progress. Give yourself a pat on the back for that at the end of the day. Then next time try 30 minutes and gradually increase it over time. Rather than focus on what you didn't get done in your day (and feeling worse about it in the process), focus your thoughts on what you did get done, even if it was only one thing. Your list of completed tasks will slowly get larger over time as you get back into the rhythm you had before.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I´m in 3rd semester of my Doctor´s program, and this procrastination problem has been with me since I started...all I can say is that although I think we all do what we have to when there are determined dates for it, most time is just lost in " not-what-I-need-to-be-doing stuff". And one advice I can give is to keep a full agenda (that includes leisure time [most of it really]). Setiting time and some rewards for a paper done in time, is one way to motivate yourself. And of course the "study-budy" it sounds lame but, I found a Physics MA student that although has nothing to help me with my research, has specific hours in the lab that translate to specific analysis hours. That´s when I tag along and stare at her working her ass off and it inspires me. I do sit a bit far ,but not far enough so that I can´t listen to the "Do you want a Starbucks?" calling.

So yeah, Full Agenda and a Study-budy. ;)

p.d. This does not work all the time :(  but when it does.. the job get´s done. B)