UC Berkeley - Fall 2012 MSW Admissions

mswhopeful2012

I found out I received admission to the Berkeley School of Social Welfare this morning in an email! They also asked which concentration I would be most interested in pursuing. Has anyone else heard back yet?

Congrats! I think you're the first to get accepted on this forum. :) Which concentration did you apply for? I was under the impression that you had to choose your concentration when you submitted your application?

I found out I received admission to the Berkeley School of Social Welfare this morning in an email! They also asked which concentration I would be most interested in pursuing. Has anyone else heard back yet?

Yeah, that's odd considering you select which concentration you're interested in your application. It's also odd, because they admit by concentration.

The email I received said I was admitted to the program and selected for two concentrations (health and gerontology) and to choose which I preferred. Once I chose I would receive an official letter of admission from the school.

I feel that under normal circumstances, you would be receiving a lot more "congrats!" posts from other users. I think the reason you are not is because we are a bit confused about the unusual "selected for two concentrations" thing.

Under Berkeley's MSW FAQ's page, it says:

What if I am interested in more than one concentration?

If your interests are broader than one concentration area, you must still choose one area upon applying to the program. You will have learning opportunities to explore the other concentration areas by way of elective courses and in your field placements. Students in all concentrations will graduate from the program with the knowledge and training required for a successful career in social work working with any population in any setting. (From http://socialwelfare.berkeley.edu/Admissions/MSWFAQS.shtml)

If I remember correctly, there was a drop-down menu on the grad app that makes you pick which concentration you want to pursue. Either that, or you type it in. Did you pick one, and they emailed you about two? Did you type in two? Did you express in your essays that you were interested in both concentrations? So many questions!

annibanani, its great news that you're the first and that Berkeley is getting back to us.

What I've noticed with the health and gerontology concentration is that they don't always do the generic email to check your application status. Last year I think someone from the health concentration received a phone call from the person's future adviser congratulating that person. Now annibanani may have selected one concentration but her background might appeal to both concentrations so they're considering annibanani for both (all hypothetical). I remember reading from another post that someone didn't apply for the child welfare stipend but was considered due to that person's background--and Berkeley inquired if that person had interest to interview for it. That should be a really positive sign from Berkeley because they will evaluate an applicant in its entirety and even ask an applicant just to make sure.

I believe the rest of us will probably hear back in the next week or two. Lets not deter anyone from sharing their result.

I remember having to pick two concentrations as well. If I remember correctly there were two drop down menus - one for your first choice and then another for your second choice. I, however, applied for the MSW/PhD program.

I say congrats on hearing from Berkeley, it's a great, selective program, so congrats, congrats, congrats!

Again, congratulations! Have you decided which school you're going to?

Edited by rjose

Has anyone else noticed that the link to your application has changed? It no longer says "apply," instead it says "login to view application status," and that you'll be receiving an email with a link? Guess decisions are on their way! Good luck everyone!!!

Jeez, folks are pouncing on the folks who got in by asking them their stats. I guess to compare themselves with those that did get in?

Relax.

Edited by rjose

Jeez, folks are pouncing on the folks who got in by asking them their stats. I guess to compare themselves with those that did get in?

I think its interesting to know and learn about their background and experiences, plus Berkeley being a highly selective school, they must have been competitive applicants so i was curious to know...:)