UC Berkeley - Fall 2012 MSW Admissions

mswhopeful2012

Ok, well that is still helpful. Thank you, tschuss

So I was just accepted by San Jose, which is my second choice to Berkeley. Does anybody know what will happen if I accept to SJSU and then get chosen off the Berkeley waitlist? What would the process be like to then back out of SJSU? :-/

Hey there, congrats on SJSU, I'm stil waiting on them, when do you have to reply by?? It might help me see when I might hear by lol. Basically if you accept SJSU and then backout because you get into berkeley, SJSU will utilize Their waitlist and pull someone ASAP once you tell them. It's always that they say tell us ASAP because they want to give other people who are on their top list of their waitlist a chance first (they might not be able to once these top listers pick another school and move out of state for them like in july/august) so yeah...they might not love you for waiting, but it happens just like people have family emergencies and someone gets their spot. Good luck for berkeley and I'll gladly take your SJSU spot if that happens LOL. :)

I'm in that same boat. I have a dream job (for my current qualifications), part-time and the dream school (Cal). Wouldn't it be nice to keep both? So I set out this week to figure it out.

Fieldwork is two days (Wed & Thurs next year; 16 hours total / week) and most likely during regular business hours. School is Monday, Tuesday and Friday next year (unlike this year where it was just Tuesday and Thursday for CMH). I got a copy of next year's schedule (should be online in a couple weeks) and will try to create a document like mapletree so everyone can access it now. Scheduling isn't by priority or concentration but rather random assignment in August...I think Berkeley formatted it that way to really discourage people from working at all. How much working are you contemplating?

Yeah, I also love my job and really need the income and they are willing to be flexible with my hours. I just don't know how feesible it will be as it's mostly a Mon-Fri job with only rare weekend work. I was thinking of working about 20 or so hours a week, but again, not sure if/how that can work. Where did you get the schedule from for next year? Do you know the schedule for this fall?

Yeah, I also love my job and really need the income and they are willing to be flexible with my hours. I just don't know how feesible it will be as it's mostly a Mon-Fri job with only rare weekend work. I was thinking of working about 20 or so hours a week, but again, not sure if/how that can work. Where did you get the schedule from for next year? Do you know the schedule for this fall?

I went into admissions office on Friday to talk to Melanie specifically about scheduling. She was super helpful and got me the Fall 2012 schedule. I think they'll have the Spring 2013 schedule after school starts. 20 hours could be doable depending on the available work hours Mon-Fri.

Sorry to hear the news vmpancucci, MommyMSW, angelamarie32, and Whitty . One of my favorite quotes is "Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end." Not sure if that really helps right now. Regardless, good luck with whatever you decide to do in the future!

Oh mapletree, you're so helpful! Thank you :)

I find it curious that there is no deposit as well.. Would also hate for it to be a surprise!

Aw, you're welcome :)

I was on the phone with my husband telling him that I had pretty much given up any hope, when I got the e-mail that I'm waitlisted!

I feel so honored just to know that I was considered! :)

Yay, congrats SarahSW!!

My condolences to vmpancucci, Iccsf, MommyMSW and all the rest that received the sad news from Berkeley. I really hope you guys get the opportunity to pursue social work elsewhere or reapply to Cal next year. All of you are competitive applicants that will enrich another program or make it tougher for people applying next year.

For those that got in and wondering about financial aid--not that anyone asked, Melanie said financial aid office should notify people around April 15. For stipends and social work fellowships, she informed me that the department should figure that out by next week or the week thereafter.

In other news, fieldwork will be Wednesday and Thursday next year; while classes are Monday, Tuesday, and Friday. Anyone else trying to work part-time and attend Berkeley?

Thanks for sharing this info ATohCe.24!! I checked out the schedule in your signature. It's great to be able to start planning early. I was wondering about the financial aid situation too, so that's also helpful.

Thanks, Mapletree! I emailed Melanie last night and she said that my admission was put on hold because the unofficial transcript that I submitted lacked the date that the degree was conferred (the transcript was a screenshot that I saved off the school's website back when I was still an undergrad and had access to my grades online). I picked up two copies of my official transcript in person today, dropped one off at Haviland Hall and faxed the other to Melanie, just in case. Hopefully, everything will be proccessed soon...

I'm glad that worked out for you! Just a technicality, not a mistake in their admission decision thank goodness. :)

An update: About a week after submitting my SIR, I got an email from the grad department telling me to activate my Cal ID. Turns out they still have my old student number from undergrad and I didn't have to make a new account. Now let's see if it's possible to get my old Cal email address back..

^ just saw that you posted the schedule in your signature, thank you!!! the classes you circled with different sections - are they broken up by concentration did she say or could you pick the second you want?

The different sections (e.g. 200, 205, 241) are not by concentration, so we can pick whichever one fits our schedule best. There's only one section each of 220 and 240, so no choice there. The only one where concentration matters is 400, for the first semester at least. I think the second semester we break off into our concentrations and take more courses together.

Thanks for sharing this info ATohCe.24!! I checked out the schedule in your signature. It's great to be able to start planning early. I was wondering about the financial aid situation too, so that's also helpful.

Your welcome mapletree. Just trying to pay it forward for all the good advice people post on here. Even last year's Cal msw forum :)

Has anyone heard anything about financial aid? I got a fellowship from the department, but it's not a whole lot (though of course every little bit counts) and I'm wondering when we will get our full offers...

Do you think that we will have to accept the offer of admission before we get a financial aid package? I've been waiting to make a final decision until I hear what kind of money they can offer, but I read somewhere else on here that perhaps we have to notify of our intent before we view our financial aid info...?

giant: How shortly after your admissions decision were you notified of your fellowship, if you don't mind me asking? The initial e-mail seemed pretty vague about when financial aid information would be made available, "over the next few months." With their April 15 deadline, sounds like we may be in the position to have to make a decision before having all financial information available. Unfortunate.

I do recall from the information session I attended that the current students said in there wasn't much in terms of first-year aid, but that much more was available to second-year students. I believe I also read somewhere on the graduate division website that the average debt for social welfare students was around $33k... I conveniently cannot locate that link at the moment!

Hello Folks,

Just wanted to ask if anyone on this thread applied to any of the social work stipends: Title IV-E Child or Mental Health stipend? I believe the Title IV-E is offered for both years, while the Mental Health stipend is offered during your second year. I originally applied for the MSW/PhD program and no where in the application was I asked if I was interested in these stipends and wanted to know if it was different for those who applied to only the MSW program? Or is this something they asked you about after you received your official letter of acceptance?

Has anyone already applied to these stipends? If so, do you mind sharing the process?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by rjose

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there, congrats on SJSU, I'm stil waiting on them, when do you have to reply by?? It might help me see when I might hear by lol. Basically if you accept SJSU and then backout because you get into berkeley, SJSU will utilize Their waitlist and pull someone ASAP once you tell them. It's always that they say tell us ASAP because they want to give other people who are on their top list of their waitlist a chance first (they might not be able to once these top listers pick another school and move out of state for them like in july/august) so yeah...they might not love you for waiting, but it happens just like people have family emergencies and someone gets their spot. Good luck for berkeley and I'll gladly take your SJSU spot if that happens LOL. :)

They didn't give me a "have to" as far as making a decision, but I told them immediately that I was accepting. I'm statying on Berkeley's waitlist though. Have you heard from SJSU yet?

I still haven't heard from Berkeley :( My friend who was on their wait list last year heard on March 31st, so I was hoping I would hear from them during that time also, but nope - nada :(

I still haven't heard from Berkeley :( My friend who was on their wait list last year heard on March 31st, so I was hoping I would hear from them during that time also, but nope - nada :(

I've called admissions a few times, and they said that they hadn't really heard from many of the accepted students about if they would attend or not. They generally get most responses during the first 2 weeks of April, so if you get in off the waitlist it should be during the last 2 weeks of April. Here's to hoping there's only one more week of waiting!

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations! Welcome day is tomorrow. Come out and meet the class of 2013 and 2014!

Thanks! I wish I could, but for now I am still in Georgia :(

I look forward to meeting everyone in August though!

I just got off of the waitlist yesterday and was accepted into the progam for CAF, so for those of you still on the waitlist, there still is hope.

Now I have to decide between going back home to Philly and going to Penn which will cost roughly $8,000 more per year or staying out in Cali where I have lived for the past 4 years and get in-state tuition, but the cost of living is markedly higher. I can't say that I believe that there will be much of a difference in program quality, but if anyone on here has actually been in the Berkeley MSW program, is there any chance you could talk about your opinion of your experience?

Edited by SocialWerk

Hi Everybody!

I also got taken off the waitlist for CFS on April 11th. They're still processing my admissions paperwork; did it take two weeks for anybody else to receive their official acceptance letter? Melanie sent me information about the April 19th event and told me they'd be posting stuff online, but it'd be helpful to know what the year's calendar looks like. Anybody have an idea?

I really like my job here at UCLA (there's a chance I could be on a publication) and I think working a year will enable me to be more financially ready.

I still don't know yet what I should do. :(

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone!

I am HIGHLY interested in attending the School of Social Welfare at UC Berkeley. I wish to become a Medical Social Worker specializing in Pediatrics or Child Abuse Victims. Hence, I would like to know in what should I major in undergrad college? My major is currently a B.A. in Sociology. I will be a Sophomore this upcoming fall. Thanks!

P.S. a Sophomore in UC Riverside