Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

UC Berkeley - Fall 2012 MSW Admissions

• Please log in to reply
300 replies to this topic

#41 mapletree

mapletree

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Program:MSW

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:06 AM

You know what would be really nice? If we heard this week. Last year I got an email at around 3.30pm on March 4th, which was the first Friday of the month. The first Friday of this month is March 2nd - in 2 days! Also, Ms. Green is a really nice person. I went to ask her a bunch of questions last year (and once this year) and she's always been really sweet and informative.
Berkeley Social Welfare Admits 2012 spreadsheet of stats: https://docs.google....CejVySHc#gid=0. Feel free to add, edit, or remove your results. if you are a reader of gradcafe but not a poster and want to add your info, please do. You can use "anonymous," "reader" or something else as your username.

#42 missdanielle

missdanielle

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

You know what would be really nice? If we heard this week. Last year I got an email at around 3.30pm on March 4th, which was the first Friday of the month. The first Friday of this month is March 2nd - in 2 days! Also, Ms. Green is a really nice person. I went to ask her a bunch of questions last year (and once this year) and she's always been really sweet and informative.

i completely agree. i almost dislike the fact that this year is a leapyear.. make us wait one more day.

look how inpatient we're all growing. hah
applied: USC, UCLA, UCB, NYU, SFSU
accepted: USC, UCLA, NYU
waitlist: UCB
rejected:

#43 mswhopeful2012

mswhopeful2012

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

So how is the waiting going on this lovely extra day of the year?!

#44 vmpancucci

vmpancucci

Espresso Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA
  • Program:Social Work

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:56 PM

So incredibly annoying! Waiting to hear back not just from Berkeley, but from USC and UCLA, as well! In the meantime, decision deadlines for Columbia and Penn are coming up! Grrrr.
Applied: USC, UCLA, Berkeley, NYU, Columbia, UPenn
Accepted: USC, UPenn, Columbia, NYU, UCLA
Rejected: UC Berkeley
Attending: To Be Decided!

#45 mapletree

mapletree

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:46 AM

i completely agree. i almost dislike the fact that this year is a leapyear.. make us wait one more day.

look how inpatient we're all growing. hah

I know, it's kind of funny. I think not knowing is one of the hardest parts. We weren't much better last year! This is last year's Berkeley thread if you haven't already seen it: http://forum.thegrad...msw-statistics/

I am "lemondrop". I had to use another username this year because I couldn't log into the other account (my .edu email expired).

Here's something else to burn some time: Type in "Columbia MSW" in the results survey. Then "NYU MSW". Then some other schools. Then Berkeley. Then weep when you see how many people got into Berkeley. :)

And finally - An interesting article about MSW admission rates from 2009: http://sweduc.wordpr...dmission-rates/
Berkeley Social Welfare Admits 2012 spreadsheet of stats: https://docs.google....CejVySHc#gid=0. Feel free to add, edit, or remove your results. if you are a reader of gradcafe but not a poster and want to add your info, please do. You can use "anonymous," "reader" or something else as your username.

#46 mswhopeful2012

mswhopeful2012

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

It's March! Yay!

#47 mswhopeful2012

mswhopeful2012

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

Does anyone feels like March days are painfully long?

#48 mswhopeful2012

mswhopeful2012

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

Me too! I keep checking and make an angry face at my phone when I see the SAME page over and over again, lol.

#49 rjose

rjose

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

This morning and early this afternoon I tried logging into my account and there were server issues so I thought maybe decisions were made, but I was wrong :( I want to find out already!

Applied: Columbia, NYU, Berkeley, USC, Penn, Cal State LA, Cal State LB
Accepted:Columbia, NYU, Berkeley, USC, Penn, Cal State LA, Cal State LB
Attending: Berkeley (Best MSW program in CA)

#50 annibanani

annibanani

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLA

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

I found out I received admission to the Berkeley School of Social Welfare this morning in an email! They also asked which concentration I would be most interested in pursuing. Has anyone else heard back yet?
Applied: UNC (still waiting...)
Accepted: Penn (1/31), Columbia (2/03), UCLA (02/24), UC Berkeley (03/04)

#51 mapletree

mapletree

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

I found out I received admission to the Berkeley School of Social Welfare this morning in an email! They also asked which concentration I would be most interested in pursuing. Has anyone else heard back yet?

Congrats! I think you're the first to get accepted on this forum. :) Which concentration did you apply for? I was under the impression that you had to choose your concentration when you submitted your application?

#52 vmpancucci

vmpancucci

Espresso Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA
  • Program:Social Work

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:49 PM

Yeah, that's odd considering you select which concentration you're interested in your application. It's also odd, because they admit by concentration.
Applied: USC, UCLA, Berkeley, NYU, Columbia, UPenn
Accepted: USC, UPenn, Columbia, NYU, UCLA
Rejected: UC Berkeley
Attending: To Be Decided!

#53 annibanani

annibanani

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLA

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:39 AM

The email I received said I was admitted to the program and selected for two concentrations (health and gerontology) and to choose which I preferred. Once I chose I would receive an official letter of admission from the school.
Applied: UNC (still waiting...)
Accepted: Penn (1/31), Columbia (2/03), UCLA (02/24), UC Berkeley (03/04)

#54 mapletree

mapletree

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:54 AM

I feel that under normal circumstances, you would be receiving a lot more "congrats!" posts from other users. I think the reason you are not is because we are a bit confused about the unusual "selected for two concentrations" thing.

Under Berkeley's MSW FAQ's page, it says:

What if I am interested in more than one concentration?

If your interests are broader than one concentration area, you must still choose one area upon applying to the program. You will have learning opportunities to explore the other concentration areas by way of elective courses and in your field placements. Students in all concentrations will graduate from the program with the knowledge and training required for a successful career in social work working with any population in any setting. (From http://socialwelfare...s/MSWFAQS.shtml)

If I remember correctly, there was a drop-down menu on the grad app that makes you pick which concentration you want to pursue. Either that, or you type it in. Did you pick one, and they emailed you about two? Did you type in two? Did you express in your essays that you were interested in both concentrations? So many questions!

#55 ATohCe.24

ATohCe.24

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Application Season:Already Attending

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

annibanani, its great news that you're the first and that Berkeley is getting back to us.

What I've noticed with the health and gerontology concentration is that they don't always do the generic email to check your application status. Last year I think someone from the health concentration received a phone call from the person's future adviser congratulating that person. Now annibanani may have selected one concentration but her background might appeal to both concentrations so they're considering annibanani for both (all hypothetical). I remember reading from another post that someone didn't apply for the child welfare stipend but was considered due to that person's background--and Berkeley inquired if that person had interest to interview for it. That should be a really positive sign from Berkeley because they will evaluate an applicant in its entirety and even ask an applicant just to make sure.

I believe the rest of us will probably hear back in the next week or two. Lets not deter anyone from sharing their result.
Applied: UC Berkeley (12/16), San Jose State (1/6), UCLA (1/15), Cal State East Bay (2/10)
Accepted: San Jose State (3/6), UC Berkeley (3/9), Cal State East Bay (5/4)
Rejected: UCLA (4/3)

#56 rjose

rjose

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

I remember having to pick two concentrations as well. If I remember correctly there were two drop down menus - one for your first choice and then another for your second choice. I, however, applied for the MSW/PhD program.

I say congrats on hearing from Berkeley, it's a great, selective program, so congrats, congrats, congrats!

Again, congratulations! Have you decided which school you're going to?

Edited by rjose, 05 March 2012 - 02:12 PM.

Applied: Columbia, NYU, Berkeley, USC, Penn, Cal State LA, Cal State LB
Accepted:Columbia, NYU, Berkeley, USC, Penn, Cal State LA, Cal State LB
Attending: Berkeley (Best MSW program in CA)

#57 mswhopeful2012

mswhopeful2012

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:35 PM

@annibinani... What were your stats/ experience when you applied, and when was your app complete?

#58 mswhopeful2012

mswhopeful2012

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

I applied to MAP. What do you want to use the Health concentration for?

#59 mswhopeful2012

mswhopeful2012

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

Awesome!! :) good luck!!

#60 BellaBear

BellaBear

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:21 PM

hi guys! :) has anyone else heard back yet?? This waiting is positively awful!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users