Should I mention getting rejected last year in my interview?

redheadedasian

Hi everyone! I have an interview with the University of Tennessee's speech pathology program on March 5th, and to my knowledge it will be the only school to interview me. I just had a quick question about whether I should mention something in my interview if such a question comes up.

Even though I majored in linguistics and had never set foot in a speech pathology class or observation, I knew last year (my senior year of college) that I wanted to go to grad school for SLP. So, I applied to several schools, all very ambitious choices (perhaps too much so). I got an interview at one, a waitlist position at another, but ultimately went 0 for 7. But I didn't let this get me down; when it looked like I wouldn't get in anywhere, I took it upon myself to get my prerequisites done (at a great online program, on my own time) and improve my GRE scores and resume over the next year. I worked my tail off, working at a full-time internship while taking my first nine hours of post-bac prerequisites, and later working with adults with developmental disabilities and slight communication disorders while I took the rest of the classes. So far, this has paid off - I have only heard good news from the schools I applied to this year. (If it matters, I have only applied to one of the schools I didn't get into last year, and it's not Tennessee.)

Should I mention this story? It would be my honest answer to a question like "Tell me about your greatest accomplishment" or "What are you most proud of?" Heck, it could serve as an explanation of WHY they should choose me (I'm self-motivated, driven, determined...). It may sound bad to mention my rejection, but could I just mention it briefly and dwell on the positives? Should I add that those schools were all VERY competitive? Any help is appreciated!

Congrats on all the improvements ! :)

I think it's a good story and shows each of the characterists you mentioned. Personally, I would spin it as "evidence I am prepared for the program". Like, "last application cycle I wasn't prepared for SLP and I applied to schools without considering XYZ". (Insert XYZ reasons why you've applied to these schools this year rather than last year).

I don't think mentioning the competitiveness of the programs will add much to the story.

Good luck!

I think this would be a good response to an interview question I've heard a lot: "Tell me about a challenge you've faced and how you over came it" or something along those lines. Emphasize the positive aspects, not the rejection. I wouldn't put much weight behind how competitive the programs were (it could sound like an excuse and that you've lowered your standards this year). I think it's a good example of your perseverance and willingness to work hard for what you want! Good luck at your interview :)

I would not mention the rejection, as there is such a thing as confirmation bias. And why risk it?

I know what you mean, but I think I'm going to mention it. I did a mock interview with my older cousin who is a business owner and interviews people all the time, and she seemed to think it was a good answer to the "challenge" question. I'll just emphasize that the reason I didn't get in was that I didn't know much about the field, and it showed in my SOPs and interviews last year. Hopefully, the professor interviewing me won't be swayed by that, since I've made it this far...

I think this would be a good response to an interview question I've heard a lot: "Tell me about a challenge you've faced and how you over came it" or something along those lines. Emphasize the positive aspects, not the rejection. I wouldn't put much weight behind how competitive the programs were (it could sound like an excuse and that you've lowered your standards this year). I think it's a good example of your perseverance and willingness to work hard for what you want! Good luck at your interview :)

Good point. I think I'll just say (and this is mostly the truth) that I didn't research the programs thoroughly enough last year, and I wasn't a competitive applicant because of my lack of research and knowledge about SLP. This year I applied to different ones that more closely fit my interests and aspirations.

I did, because I'm the kind of person who needs to work on my blunt honesty in interviews. I just let it all hang out sometimes, and I think that has backfired in some of my unsuccessful job interviews. HOWEVER, I was ultimately accepted, so it won't necessarily kill your chances. I talked about how I didn't yet know what I wanted besides knowing I wanted to do research, but I took it as a learning experience to do more research, go to more conferences, do more writing, and figure out a more focused path. Sometimes, I think the fact that you're willing to try this terrible, terrible process again shows that you're really dedicated to graduate work.