Waitlisted. What to do next?

MF2011

I've been waitlisted and I wanted to know if anyone can offer advice?

I sent a letter of continued interest to the director via email. Should I also mail a copy or would that be seen as being too aggressive? Is there anything else I can do to bolster my chances?

Has anyone been in this situation and later been accepted/rejected?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I think you've done all you can do. I've been told that, if a university is your first choice, you should state that explicitly and say that you would definitely attend if offered a place; however, since you already sent a letter of continued interest, I wouldn't send anything else, unless you get a fancy achievement in the meantime (e.g. a paper of yours get published, or you earn a pertinent prize at school, or something).

If anything, I'd say wait until mid- to end of March to write them again saying you're still very much interested. It's good to be aggressive, but not good to be annoying! :P

• 2 weeks later...

@MF2011; I can perfectly empathize with you. Same position with me too, and to make matters worse, I'm an international student. I've heard that international students don't have a good chance of getting an admit. I don't know how far is it true!

I've applied for 7 schools and for the Neuroscience program, and I've got an unofficial rejection from University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio. I had applied online and sent all my application materials way back in September, but haven't heard anything new from the universities except that "Your application is complete and being reviewed by the department".

With Marquette University, I've got a mail saying that "Your file is complete and with the department now being considered for the Fall 2012 admission". I still fail to understand what this means?