How "accepted" is this?

Heather Hoffman

Hey, I have a question about this. I'm probably paranoid, but if any of you have had a similar situation, please let me know.

I attended the a Comparative Literature Graduate Recruitment Day yesterday, and toward the end of the day the Graduate Recruitment Advisor took me into the hallway and said, "The department has decided to offer you an acceptance into the PhD program with a full funding package. The Graduate Division has approved your acceptance offer as well, so you should get the offer in email and postal mail soon."

I asked how soon, and she said the offer had to get routed one more time through the department, and then it goes back to the grad division and they send the offer to me. She couldn't give me a super-definite timeframe for these last steps, but she made it sound like it was no big deal, just a last round of "routing."

She congratulated me on the acceptance, shook my hand, etc.. so I'm accepted, right?

Sorry, I'm just beyond paranoid and obviously need reassurance. I guess I'll still be on the edge of my seat until I get the offical letter.

Yay! Sounds like an offer to me. A lot of people are initially offered acceptance over the phone and have to wait for the "official" letter to come, so I think this is a pretty standard procedure. Congratulations! And you thought you were going to get a whole boatload of rejections. :)

I don't really see why you would be panicking so much over this :) Seems pretty clear-cut to me! I was also in the same boat of "I-got-an-unofficial-acceptance-and-I-can't-quite-believe-it"; my advice: don't break out the champagne till you get the official letter, but stop stressin gout. :)

Thank you!

Yes, it feels more real now. I think I just got scared or something. Or I've heard too many horror stories about getting "in" then it all falling apart, so now I believe it and wow it's very wild to suddenly know what I'm going to be doing for the next 6 years.