German PhD Admissions?

miscellany

I've been accepted by PhD programs at WUSTL and U Minnesota.

I'm applying with a BA, so I've also been accepted as a Master's level candidate at a few other schools, Indiana, Illinois, and OSU.

Waiting to hear from: UNC-Duke, UC Boulder, U Texas. Had an interview with U Texas yesterday, they said I'll hear from them by the end of the week.

Did anyone else apply to any of these programs? Or does anyone have any experiences to report with any of them? I'd be interested to hear!

hi there, i am also waiting to hear back from princeton and columbia. i heard back from jhu, penn and yale so far. did you guys consider those programs at all? what are your thoughts on them?

Did you get in at yale et all? I thought about yale, but I don't think it really matches my interests that well.

i did get into yale et al. what were your thoughts on yale? what are your research interests?

Congratulations!!!

Anyway, I've heard that Yale is the place to be if you're into deconstruction. And I'm not. But in any case, it's clearly a solid department, and honestly, we'll be spending most of our time in the library anyway!

thanks!! yes, i am excited about yale -- mostly because of the new senior faculty that just joined there from jhu.

did you guys hear back from princeton? have they made any calls at all? i just got a notice from the dean of the grad school.

Are you going to visit the campus?

I think so. I just have to find time for it. Tickets to Raleigh from my hometown are very cheap for the end of March/early April. $115 round trip. Are you going to visit? So do they have a comparative lit program that you're joining? From the looks of your sig, you're into the joint German PhD, right?

Which program are you accepted to at UT? If it's the German program, are you going to visit this week?

I think so. I just have to find time for it. Tickets to Raleigh from my hometown are very cheap for the end of March/early April. $115 round trip. Are you going to visit? So do they have a comparative lit program that you're joining? From the looks of your sig, you're into the joint German PhD, right?

Which program are you accepted to at UT? If it's the German program, are you going to visit this week?

I got into the English program at UT but I won't go for sure becasue I did my MA there (and my BA as am matter of fact).

I might visit UNC/Duke (yep, joint German) in a few weeks. I am visiting Penn and Brown in a week or so. Those are my top choices, and unless I get a bad vibe from both, I probably won't go for UNC. I still don't know, though. It's so tough to decide there things. So many factors: city, faculty, etcetc.

congrats on UNC, igel & sleepingpoet!

igel:

I wanted to pick your brain a bit about the CU Boulder program. Just perusing their online presence, I can't quite get a handle on it. Focus? Ranking? Professors you like? What drew you there? The program *looks* very small on paper, almost like an afterthought tacked on so that people can add a bit of German to their Comp Lit. Please disabuse me of this notion if it's mistaken.

I'm actually applying for English this year (I went for MA-only applications since my BA was in German, not English, though I also have an MFA in Creative Writing and an MA in Translation), but if nothing pans out I have Plans B, C and D lined up: reapply for English; apply for Comp Lit (German, Spanish, French, Anglo-Saxon ... either the Romantics or Medievalism; apply to Law School; or, you know, write my National Book Award-winning novel ... Maybe not in that order.

bluegirl, CU was one of my safety programs. The professor I consulted when I was deciding where to apply told me they have a highly regarded MA-only program, and Boulder's close to home. Now that I've had nearly 7 acceptances, I suspect I set my sights a little low in where I applied. However, I think I chose the right schools-- I think I'll likely be happier & more successful at a program at a large public university in middle US than at a large private one on one of the coasts.

BTW, I visited Texas and really liked the department.

sleepingpoet, did you have much to do with the German dept. at Texas? What are your impressions of it? I'd be very interested to know. You can PM me, if you want!