MIT Aero-Astro fall 2012 admit !!

IITug

isn't georgia tech done accepting people for aero? i dont want to be a party pooper but their visitation is next Friday.

I am not sure. I applied way back on 19th jan but i am yet to hear from them. On website they say they have rolling admissions. On the application status, it says Decision-Pending. Should i call them to ask my decision ?

When did you apply and when did you get acceptance email ?

Rejected! Nonetheless, I am proud of myself for doing the best I could to get into MIT. I guess it's straight to work for me. The good thing about working hard for MIT (but not getting in) is that we have the accolades to get pretty much any job we want. We're the cream of the crop!

Edited by ericrusso

Same here! Caltech just rejected me too. So here's what I have so far: I'm an undergrad at UCLA. I applied to UCLA's grad school and they lost my application. Their answer was basically "oh well, sorry." MIT and Caltech reject me the same day. UCI accepts me, but only offers me $16,000 per year. But hey, that's life, right? Sometimes you're on top of the world and then sometimes you have to roll with the punches and make the best of what you're given. Nonetheless, I thank God for the opportunity to even be at college. I know that He has an awesome plan for me, I just don't know what that is right now. Best of luck to you all in your future endeavors. Most of you got into some SOLID grad programs so I know you will go on to do great things. Congrats and God bless!

I am not sure. I applied way back on 19th jan but i am yet to hear from them. On website they say they have rolling admissions. On the application status, it says Decision-Pending. Should i call them to ask my decision ?

When did you apply and when did you get acceptance email ?

I probably sent in the application the first week of dec and got accepted first week of feb.

I received two rejections within 15 minutes. Oh well !!! Its MIT and Caltech. Two big guns.

Hey folks,

dont get upset on your rejection.

here's what i think:

Its preferred to be at the top in some good college(college you get in) than to perform average at the best one (MIT, Caltech).

Edited by IITug

I probably sent in the application the first week of dec and got accepted first week of feb.

Hey I called them and asked about my application. They said that they are taking rolling applications and my application is also being considered for funding.

They said i will hear soon from them. So i will wait. Also on the result section, i can see many acceptances coming from Georgia in April. So my hope is alive.

Yeah that makes sense. I forgot that they have that rolling applications process. Good Luck!

Hey did you get funding at Georgia Tech ? Do you think whether or not they have RA or TA positions that are still open ? Also which lab did you applied for ?

I appreciate your responses.

Yeah I got funding. I actually got into the lab that I was interested in working at which is ASDL (Aerospace Systems Design Lab). The offer was for a $26K stipend plus tuition, healthcare and all that other stuff. I'm not sure if there's still positions open. If they told that your are still being considered for funding then there's probably still some positions.

Nice dude. This offer is damn good. So are you taking the offer ?

FYI usnews has ranked Georgia Tech in the 4th position for aerospace grad school category. So you have pretty good future options.

Edited by IITug

Nice dude. This offer is damn good. So are you taking the offer ?

FYI usnews has ranked Georgia Tech in the 4th position for aerospace grad school category. So you have pretty good future options.

I am sure Gatech students can challenge MIT students. it is you not the college which defines success n excellence in your field. not all mitians are world famous...so b positive guys...Gatech n Purdue are in par to MIT or Stanford or caltech. also, employers choose purdue over mit nowadays n purdue has a great history with it.

Though Gatech ranking is higher slightly than purdue, i will go to purdue coz everything is fine there. Neil Arm Strong hall of engineering is no less than MIT

Edited by Prakash Shrestha

Idk, I have a similar offer for University of Michigan and I am going to a school visitation at Stanford next week. Its going to be a tough one. I will chose the one that fits me best. Here's an article on what schools employers consider to be the best:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703376504575491704156387646.html

I wouldn't have gone. I'm not independently wealthy plus I already have $80K in loans from my B.S.

I am sorry dude. Same pinch. I am also from a moderate family. I wonder if Gatech and Purdue funds me for MS. Can you share me your profile; ur undergrad school, GPA, GRE, TOEFL, RESEARCH WORKS and others like awards etc.

Best of Luck dude

Hi all:

Sorry to hear about some of the unfortunate results. I was accepted to MIT for Aero Astro as a masters student for fall 2012. For the benefit of future applicants here are my stats:

GPA: 3.95

GRE: 800Q/660V/4.5AW

3 semesters and 1 summer of research (No publications but I got 3rd place at a student research convention)

Best wishes,

aero9

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AT LEAST ONE HAS GOT IN WHO I JUST KNEW, BEST OF LUCK DUDE.

what was ur TOEFL scores?

which univ and country u are from?

can u send me your SOP to prakash2011shrestha@gmail.com? PLEASE!!!!

ALSO add me to fb: futuresanains@yahoo.com (PRAKASH SHRESTHA)

NOT trying to troll here but if you weren't so sure about your own SOP then why did you apply to such a competitive school in the first place? It is, after all, a reflection of the abilities that are "hidden" from the rest of the application (of course, hidden doesn't mean they don't exist). Writing an SOP is one of the most basic yet most critical things you do when applying to grad school, and I just don't get it when people ask other people for their SOP's like it's gonna inspire them or something. The only explanation that makes sense to me is that they will somehow plagiarize it (sorry dude, I'm sure you're a great student and all as you applied to MIT, but this is what comes to my mind).

What worked for someone else will not necessarily work for you.

My advice is to have someone critique your own SOP instead of asking others for a copy of theirs. There are almost too many guidelines on the do's and don'ts that you will find helpful.

Edited by ano

NOT trying to troll here but if you weren't so sure about your own SOP then why did you apply to such a competitive school in the first place? It is, after all, a reflection of the abilities that are "hidden" from the rest of the application (of course, hidden doesn't mean they don't exist). Writing an SOP is one of the most basic yet most critical things you do when applying to grad school, and I just don't get it when people ask other people for their SOP's like it's gonna inspire them or something. The only explanation that makes sense to me is that they will somehow plagiarize it (sorry dude, I'm sure you're a great student and all as you applied to MIT, but this is what comes to my mind).

What worked for someone else will not necessarily work for you.

My advice is to have someone critique your own SOP instead of asking others for a copy of theirs. There are almost too many guidelines on the do's and don'ts that you will find helpful.

Well, IDK....i just wanted to see how you wrote. thanx for ur advice. best of luck.

Sure, MIT 2013, I can send you a copy. If you could, I would like you to keep it for your eyes only.

Thank-you, IITug, I wish you the best of luck for Georgia Tech.

Sure, MIT 2013, I can send you a copy. If you could, I would like you to keep it for your eyes only.

Thank-you, IITug, I wish you the best of luck for Georgia Tech.

Thank you dude. I keep my word. So, is it OK to reapply for MS MIT or do MS in Purdue/ Ga tech and then applying to MIT PhD would be better? Also, did you add me on fb since i have some people adding me? :) thanks again. my SOP was original but long. 3 pages :(