MIT Aero-Astro fall 2012 admit !!

IITug

I attended the University of Maryland College Park for undergrad.

MIT2013, I don't use facebook anymore so I'm afraid I haven't added you. As for your question regarding reapplying vs. applying later for PhD, I have absolutely no idea. I would strongly recommend asking a professor since they know how these things work. My best advice came from two professors I have worked with closely over the past few years.

Hey aero9, how would you rate University of Maryland for graduate studies in aerospace. Especially, how good is Fluid dynamics section of the department ?

Actually i have applied there and i think i might get in.

Hey IITug,

I definitely believe UMD deserves its #9 ranking according to US News World Report. Fluid dynamics is probably one of the stronger sections of the department and they seem to have funding (especially if you're interested in CFD since a lot of Dr. Baeder's students are graduating this year I think). Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hey IITug,

I definitely believe UMD deserves its #9 ranking according to US News World Report. Fluid dynamics is probably one of the stronger sections of the department and they seem to have funding (especially if you're interested in CFD since a lot of Dr. Baeder's students are graduating this year I think). Let me know if you have any other questions.

Will he accept new MS students and if you know how many per year? Two days ago, I emailed him but could not get any reply. Also, Dr. Sung Lee told me that application can not be forwarded until someone from the department sponsors for me :(....I have sent you reply and with my credential, do you think I will get in there? Also, how many students get funded at UMCL?

Edited by MIT2013

Will he accept new MS students and if you know how many per year? Two days ago, I emailed him but could not get any reply. Also, Dr. Sung Lee told me that application can not be forwarded until someone from the department sponsors for me :(....I have sent you reply and with my credential, do you think I will get in there? Also, how many students get funded at UMCL?

I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer to your question. I think based on your credentials you are an extremely competitive applicant and I would be surprised if they weren't interested in you. Pretty much all graduate students at UMCP are funded since there is a professor sponsoring you. I could try to ask around about how many students Dr. Baeder is taking on this year.

Yeah even i emailed Dr. Baeder. I am waiting for a response. I think he archived it. lol. He did read my email.(I sent read notification lol :P) Anyways, I am clueless about the anticipated decision dates. Its already mid march and i think i have to inform other universities by mid-april. I hope to get UMD's decision soon.

I figure this would be a good place to ask. Did anyone else apply to UMich for their Aero program and still havent heard back yet? I know that they sent out some acceptances but wasnt sure what to make of my status and I'm going into panic mode about it :/

Hey yeah i applied to UMich and am still waiting for their response. I also applied to GaTech and UMD. No response from them either.

BTW did you apply for master's program or PHD ? I applied for master's program and that's why i think they are delaying decisions. And also did you get waitlisted in MIT aerospace ?

I did PhD for everything. I know from talking to UMD and GaTech ppl that they both make sure all their students are funded, so theyre still trying to match up people with professors with funding at the moment so you still have a bit of time with that.

And yeah, I got waitlisted at MIT Aero but I'm not really expecting to get off the waitlist. I'm not sure how funding works on the offchance I am off the waitlist anyways.

Hey everyone,

Got all my acceptances in and having a hard time deciding!! Between MIT and Georgia Tech right now... it's really hard to turn down the MIT name.. but I got an offer from the ASDL(Systems design lab) at Georgia Tech.. does anyone know what MIT's funding is like?? Also is anyone else in this same dilemma?!

I got wait listed for MIT CDO program. The only best part of it is that they will inform about the acceptances before 30th April. So let's see how it turns out. When I called the department they said only 6-7 have been wait listed. But I don't know how wait list thing works.

Does anyone knows how wait list applicants get accepted At MIT ??

Hey everyone,

Got all my acceptances in and having a hard time deciding!! Between MIT and Georgia Tech right now... it's really hard to turn down the MIT name.. but I got an offer from the ASDL(Systems design lab) at Georgia Tech.. does anyone know what MIT's funding is like?? Also is anyone else in this same dilemma?!

I went up to MIT's Aero Astro visit day and they said that all grad students have been funded for the past two years. Some people (me and you included it seems) will not know about funding before the April 15th deadline, but they did assure us we would get funding eventually. Almost all of MIT's funding is in the form of RA's, so I expect a certain professor would extend an offer at some point before the fall semester. I also have funding offers from other universities so I am in a similar dilemna.

I did PhD for everything. I know from talking to UMD and GaTech ppl that they both make sure all their students are funded, so theyre still trying to match up people with professors with funding at the moment so you still have a bit of time with that.

I'm an undergrad at UMD, so I know a little bit about how their grad decisions work. I think the above statement is correct since I don't know a single grad student who has to pay his/her's own way.

I figure this would be a good place to ask. Did anyone else apply to UMich for their Aero program and still havent heard back yet? I know that they sent out some acceptances but wasnt sure what to make of my status and I'm going into panic mode about it :/

Hey Just now i got acceptance letter from UMich MSE program. I didnt apply for PhD. No mention of financial aid though.

If I dont hear back by April from UMich, theyre gonna have a fun time with me calling daily.

And I heard back from the UAV Research Facility directed by Dr. Johnson at GaTech. Its a bit stressful though because UMich is my top choice.

I also got an email from prof suresh Menon at computational combustion lab that my background is interesting. But he had few questions. I replied to his questions but he didn't reply back.

I am still waiting for his email. So I am in panic mode for Georgia tech.

Edited by IITug

If I dont hear back by April from UMich, theyre gonna have a fun time with me calling daily.

And I heard back from the UAV Research Facility directed by Dr. Johnson at GaTech. Its a bit stressful though because UMich is my top choice.

Hi,

UMICH result will be out latest by Apr 15. Just walked to the ASO Mech Dept yesterday after long pain in the ass waiting.

wait, what do you mean the latest will be out by april 15th? Isnt that when they require those admitted to confirm? Does that mean that those that havent heard back yet are rejected?

Also, whats the ASO?

Edited by spacecase618