Need suggestions based on my application status uptill now

Ronak Dave

Well I would mail you the list. I was little busy with work for last few days. But I would try to send it by the end of this week. As for the Albert einstein Coll of med..may be some of the university office staffs are on their Easter holidays....huh?

Yeah right ! have you or any other guys applied to USC PIBBS ? I havent heard from them either. That is one college on which I am eyeing. Do you think I might be on "secret waitlist" there too ??? This things are killing me. How do I get to know whether I will get in somewhere or not ? I guess I am on the hardest of my luck ! Kindly, suggest me something that is helpful in this direction.

Hmm. I have not applied to USC...so can't tell really. Why don't you send a mail to the program co-ordinator?

Well, I just figured out that Upstate Medical Center, SUNY has 10 slots open ion the Microbiology and Immunology PhD program and their deadline is still open. Do you guys think I should apply to this program at such late dates ? Do you think my profile suits this place ? I have seen the projects there and I think I can induce fit my interests in this program. But am not sure about its statistics in terms of international acceptances. Let me know if you can provide any help in this regards.

Thanks.

Well. I think you should get hold of someone from the dept. ( preferably the program co-ordinator) to get the real picture on

1. Whether there are 10 slots available in this time of the year? My common sense says they must have accepted most of their incoming class by now, even though the deadline is still open.

2. The no. of int'l students they are going to accept this year.

Only if you get some positive response go for it, otherwise don't waste 50$ in application fee.

Hi ,. i have been readin the posts and wnated to know if any one has applied for USC neuroscience graduate program and heard from them yet? its alrady 8th april and i am freaking out

Hello SamreenF

I have applied to USC PIBBS program, but havent heard anything from them yet. Tried calling them, but it always goes into the voicemail. Let me know if you hear anything from them.

Hello SamreenF

I have applied to USC PIBBS program, but havent heard anything from them yet. Tried calling them, but it always goes into the voicemail. Let me know if you hear anything from them.

I have tried emailing and calling a few times to Vanessa the coordinator for neuroscience , she told me this around last week of march that the admission committe were reviewing last batch and the results would be out in a week or two,.. it sounds kinda too late for them to be still reviewing at this month .I hope we both hear some good news from them as i am really pinned to USC.

I will definitely let you know if some mail or response comes by.

Well I would mail you the list. I was little busy with work for last few days. But I would try to send it by the end of this week. As for the Albert einstein Coll of med..may be some of the university office staffs are on their Easter holidays....huh?

Souparno !!!

The week has ended dear. Please mail me the list so that I can start preparing for the applications. The wait is going unproductive. I hope I will get the list soon. I know you must be very busy, but do spare some time and mail me.

Thanks !

Ronak if i can ask is this list helpful for people applying for fall 12'

Which list are you talking about ? The ones that I have applied to in USA ? yes, thats what I have applied. But why are you asking this thing ? Do you want to apply to another schools ? I am not sure about Neurosciences program because I am mainly targeting Biomedical Sciences/Immunology/Cancer biology programs.

Sorry Hemant,

I have the list in the hard copy. I thought about typing it in a word file and sending but unfortunately my laptop broke down on saturday. So i am stuck with my 1950s desktop. i will try to send it ASAP. Before i send you the list i think u can start looking in the following places

1. FMI, Switzerland

2. Biozentrum

3. max Planck school of immunobiology

4. Zurich ETH

5. École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne in Lausanne

Souparno !!!

The week has ended dear. Please mail me the list so that I can start preparing for the applications. The wait is going unproductive. I hope I will get the list soon. I know you must be very busy, but do spare some time and mail me.

Thanks !

This is exactly why you shouldn't rely on others for important things like this. If someone takes you 10 days to produce a list that they supposedly already had, you are better off figuring this out on your own (you are better off figuring it out on your own anyway). It was probably inherited from someone else to begin with anyway. This is no way to go about something this important to you with such a looming deadline.

This is exactly why you shouldn't rely on others for important things like this. If someone takes you 10 days to produce a list that they supposedly already had, you are better off figuring this out on your own (you are better off figuring it out on your own anyway). It was probably inherited from someone else to begin with anyway. This is no way to go about something this important to you with such a looming deadline.

In an ideal world everyone would do their own work w/o relying on others...but i guess it is not possible and that is why we live in a society and we are called social animals.

by the way the list was not copied from somewhere and it took me 10 days to prepare the list last June.

Virion, you are right. Ideally one should have their SOPs checked by someone else. But in my case ( I am sure that applies to most of the students from India) I did not have any academic adviser in my current school who had enough time to check my SOP and make the necessary corrections. And yes, my English is not great but in my opinion what matters most in a SOP is whether one can express his/her ideas clearly, justify his/her choice and have a clear idea about what they want to do in and after the grad school. It does help if you have a very good hold over the language, but since my English is not great I just wanted to express my ideas clearly...the challenge I faced so far and how I overcome it, my future goals etc. In the first draft i wrote everything ( it was more than 6 pages) and in the second draft I did some editing. I did try to change something even after the second draft but these were very minor changes, according to the need of different schools. I'm not recommending this method for everyone, but I think there is a general idea, that you have to work on your SOP and make so many drafts....I'm sure it is a good way of doing this. But I wanted to keep things as simple as possible and somehow it worked for me because I have got admits from 4 of the 6 schools I applied to with a pretty average profile

But I agree with Virion that I might have made some grammatical mistakes in my SOP ( don't blame me...blame my "workable" knowledge of English) and it really helps if you can get it checked by someone at least to eliminate these errors.

Hey Souparno,

Honesty is appreciated in this forum and more so, in whatever u are going to do in life. I am sorry to say that I happen to find this post online which clearly states that u applied to 13 schools as opposed to 6( is wat u mentioned in a reply to @virion)

Reference: http://www.app2us.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10596

I was accepted in University of Cincinnati pretty early and hence i dident complete the applications in 4 schools. And in UAB birmingham and University of texas Health science center San Antonio my application was never complete because one of my referees had some problem logging into the system and i withdrew my application pretty early after that. I withdrew my application from U arkansas medical sciences 3 days after i applied b'coz i came to know from my friends that Dept of Immunology won't be accepting any international students due to budget cut.

Withdrawing applications is a concept I was not aware of:-p Anyways, it does not make a difference to me. Just that I saw it and I was suprised. All the best in your future endeavours. Stay truthful.Stay Happy

And to bring to yyour highlight this post of urs is dared Feb 3 and states "Now that I am done with the applications, I guess I cant ask you to shortlist universities for me. Right now I am going through the post application stress period. My academic career depends on whether i would get admit with full funding in one of the above Universities" So I dont know wat u mean by incomplete applications at some univs :-P

incomplete application means you submit the online application, but don't report the GRE/TOEFL scores and not sending the official transcripts. I completed the online applications in all the places but dident send the supporting documents to them.

withdrawing application is a pretty common concept. U just have to send emails to program co ordinator stating that i want to withdraw my application from further review or consideration.

I welcome your comments but i think it is not right to questions someone's honesty w/o knowing the full story.

anyway..best of luck for your grad studies and stay well.

In an ideal world everyone would do their own work w/o relying on others...but i guess it is not possible and that is why we live in a society and we are called social animals.

by the way the list was not copied from somewhere and it took me 10 days to prepare the list last June.

For something that's going to impact your life to such a magnitude, your argument holds no ground. Being social creatures has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Given that it's been 8 days already, he could have compiled his own list, which would be better suited for him and, obviously, personalized.

That's not to say that it isn't a great help to have your own list, and a list someone else produced, and to compare them side-by-side. I think that's great. I'm sure you've got a list you made, and intended to send it and so on. But it should be a high enough priority to him that he should assume the list might not make it to him in time and he should be working on this. Suggesting that your future depends on someone on a message board producing a list of schools for you is difficult for me to even comprehend.

Souparno !!!

Thanks !

Hii Hemant,

I have emailed you the list. I sincerely hope that you won't need it but in case you don't get into Rutgers I hope you would find it useful.

best of luck buddy!!!