LSE MPA

Hello everyone...

I was just admitted to the LSE MPA International Development.

Are there any other people who've heard from LSE?

I'm really confused.. Should I accept the offer or not?

I would love to hear some opinions on LSE and their MPA..

Thanks in Advance...

LSE is certainly famous for economics. I have no idea about its MPA? Does it come w/ any financial aid? How long is the program? Any internship? Where do you want to work? Are you quantitative strong? Are you a European/an American or an int'l student?

I'm an international student. LSE is a big name in my country. I think I am quantitatively strong, as in I have done a lot of Econometrics, Statistics before. I'm hoping to work in Asia.

The course is two years and cheaper than the American universities I applied too. Its also has the option of a dual degree with Columbia SIPA. They have a year long capstone project but no internship requirement. But I don't think internships are an issue to LSE students..They can most often land one.

I haven't received any financial support yet. But after speaking to other LSE admits, it seems chances are dim..

Asia - where? Some countries in Asia prefer American U names more than Brit's ones. And what kinds of organizations you'd like to work for? Also, alumni and connection in your field.

Two years.. I don't know. Maybe MPP for 2 years are better than 2-year MPA. If one-year program and another year w/ SIPA or 2.5 years seems OK. Is funding your concern? Do you get any special tuition rate as a European student? Any financial aid from your country or fellowships for students from your country at LSE?

Did you apply other Us in the US too?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I am a current MPA student in the PEP stream. It all depends what you want to get out of the MPA. You have an econometric background and therefore I suppose you also have an economics background. In that case 50% of the first year courses will be repetition. Think about it. The MPA teaches you to be a critical consumer of economic research. If that is something you don't have then come.

Also, it is very theoretical and highly demanding. The quality of the students is very high. The LSE MPA is very well regarded amongst faculty and students. We have a very active MPA Student Association and I believe that only the MSc Economics students are more hard working that us, although probably more "nerdy". Non MPA core courses, from other MSc tend to have weaker students/content. We are very well at the top of what LSE offers. I can't speak for other Top MPA but this one is certainly not a joke. We have around 15% dropping out every year cause they were not well aware of how rigorous the program is.

Question do you have working experience? A good chunk, say 20% don't. I believe that is not a good decision, but if you where admitted you are probably exceptional.

US MPA=US Employment

LSE MPA=World

MPP doesn't mean anything, you need to look a the courses. LSE MPA is heavy on economics/econometrics/political science not how you administer a bureaucracy if that is what you might assume

Hi.

I'm glad someone from LSE saw my post.

You're right my first degree was in Economics.

But it was frustrating because I was just studying theoretical models

and never learnt how to apply the knowledge.

I have previous work experience working in Govt schools in Asia and a lot of other work for NGO's.

But not like crazy work experience.

I have a few questions about the MPA:

I heard there was a curriculum change and that we couldn't take as many options anymore?

That somehow bothers me.

How tough is it to take Economics options? I kind of like Econometrics so was taking that..

Are you European? I'm Asian actually so am worried about my job prospects after getting such an expensive degree!

Hi, does anyone know how the LSE MPA holds up in the States? I know it has a strong reputation in the UK, Europe and maybe Asia?, but it has competition with big names like SAIS, SIPA in the US. Any info would be great!

• 7 months later...

Sorry haven't posted for a while. So they did change from 5 to 4 units and I was part of that group. However, after going through the first year I felt that was the right decision. The courses are really hard and the exam is very very very demanding. What you need to understand is that LSE is world-known for 2 things Econ and Political Science. The MPA teaches you both and very well. Regarding additional econ courses, well, they will be very very theoretical, not the policy oriented cut we have in the MPA...

For the US placement I really don't know, but all the Americans on the program seem to have found very interesting spots back home.

• 3 months later...

Re-opening this topic... was anyone else recently admitted to the LSE MPA program?  What other programs are you waiting to hear back from and what are you major considerations?

I`m waiting to hear back from the Washington DC based International Relations MA programs.  I am looking to specialize in International Development.  The DC schools seem to have more classes available across a variety of topics compared to LSE.  I think London is a really cool city, probably more interesting than DC.  I am open to pursuing my career abroad or in Washington DC.

I came across the following blog post from a recent LSE student.  A lot of negatives within.  She chose to go to SIPA for her second year.  I would probably stay both years at LSE.

http://lifeofwendy.com/2011/04/lse-mpa-the-real-deal/

Hey! I was recently admitted to the LSE MPA program, I'm just waiting to hear from SIPA (MIA) and Oxford, although I think I might choose LSE over SIPA and Oxford. I study in the UK now so I think LSE will be more in line with my experience and sooo much cheaper, but I would love to move to the States and the MIA is a great program. I've also read wendy's blog and it's quite negative... but the things she dislikes the most are qualities of the program that are common to the UK higher education system (few, important deadlines and loads of reading to do means you have to be really self-motivated, you're never going to get short homework assignments or be held by the hand, etc) which I'm already used to. 

Either way, so excited for next year!

Only program I got rejected from, but I guess we weren´t a great fit I am more of a hands on kind of person and LSE sounds waaay too theory based. Congrats!

Re-opening this topic... was anyone else recently admitted to the LSE MPA program?  What other programs are you waiting to hear back from and what are you major considerations?

I`m waiting to hear back from the Washington DC based International Relations MA programs.  I am looking to specialize in International Development.  The DC schools seem to have more classes available across a variety of topics compared to LSE.  I think London is a really cool city, probably more interesting than DC.  I am open to pursuing my career abroad or in Washington DC.

I came across the following blog post from a recent LSE student.  A lot of negatives within.  She chose to go to SIPA for her second year.  I would probably stay both years at LSE.

http://lifeofwendy.com/2011/04/lse-mpa-the-real-deal/

Admitted - waiting to hear back from SIPA and wait-listed for HKS. 

Big considerations for me are:

1. Regional focus - which part of the world do I want my career to be in and how will schools influence my ability to do this?

2. Theoretical vs applied: LSE at the theoretical end of the spectrum and SIPA at the more applied

3. Where do I want to live: NY or London? It's two years - likely not to stay there afterwards so want to make the most of the time!

Not sure where I fall on these questions - will need to work it out if I have choices to make. 

Anyone heard from SIPA yet this year?

LSE Is pretty sick in the UK ! 

And widely recognised internationally !

The MPA is very renowned. In terms of facilities, the careers service is very good. the style of teaching is very science-focussed as in its not researched based.

You should definitely accept the offer ! Also in terms of tuition fees its much cheaper than US universities so that can be an asset.

Also to comment on smth that has been said above, LSE is not simply good for Economics!! For Political sciences, IR, global politics, sociology, media and communication as well. !!

I was accepted into LSE MPA, GWU MIA (w funding), and Cornell MPA (w funding) so far.

Stil waiting to hear back from SIPA, Georgetown, and Sciences Po/LSE for their MIA programs.

Is anyone else in a similar situation and unsure of which choices to make?

At this point, LSE sounds great in terms of being a great school and ideally I would like to focus my studies in the Asian region. But I must say the funding is a great boost and GWU is great too.

Ideally SIPA is my 1st choice but getting rejected from JHU last week makes me doubt my chances in SIPA..

Appreciate any pointers anyone might have!

Hi all, 

In the same boat. Accepted to LSE MPA, USC MPP (with a 1/2 tuition scholarship), American MPA, and still waiting to hear from SIPA.  I am leaning towards LSE but also wanted to get a bit of advice about going to London vs. staying stateside and attending USC for 1/2 the price? I'm so torn! 

• 2 months later...

I think I missed most of the decision deadlines, but I thought I would come back with a post. I ended up choosing LSE MPA over JHU SAIS and some others, and I'm very happy with my choice. The academics are excellent, and although it's more theoretical than some would like (referencing the Wendy Lee blog), they really drill into your head how to think analytically and problem solve - two skills I think are very applicable to actually being good at whatever job you land once in the job market.

I agree with everything that abaravelli said before. Very demanding course, and well worth it as your'e surrounded by high calibre, very diverse classmates (I think North Americans make up the largest proportion of my class, around 15-20%? Diversity is definitely something US schools would struggle to beat). The only real downside would be that I wish LSE put more of an emphasis on having 2 or so years work experience prior to the course, as a bigger chunk of people are straight out or a year out of undergrad than with American schools... but maybe that will change as it continues to get more popular, as it seems to be gaining a lot of momentum in the past few years.

Edited by smirrah

• 4 months later...

I think I missed most of the decision deadlines, but I thought I would come back with a post. I ended up choosing LSE MPA over JHU SAIS and some others, and I'm very happy with my choice. The academics are excellent, and although it's more theoretical than some would like (referencing the Wendy Lee blog), they really drill into your head how to think analytically and problem solve - two skills I think are very applicable to actually being good at whatever job you land once in the job market.

I agree with everything that abaravelli said before. Very demanding course, and well worth it as your'e surrounded by high calibre, very diverse classmates (I think North Americans make up the largest proportion of my class, around 15-20%? Diversity is definitely something US schools would struggle to beat). The only real downside would be that I wish LSE put more of an emphasis on having 2 or so years work experience prior to the course, as a bigger chunk of people are straight out or a year out of undergrad than with American schools... but maybe that will change as it continues to get more popular, as it seems to be gaining a lot of momentum in the past few years.

Hello smirrah and other current/former MPA students

I am in desperate need for advice. I've been going back and forth in my choice of program at LSE for fall 2014.

I am really attracted to the MPA in International Development I know I want to focus my graduate studies on developing countries. Problem is I have a very weak quantitative background and this program sounds very focused on math and economy. I graduated 5 years ago from UCLA with a BA in Political Sciences and minor in African Studies 3.79 GPA but only took one Statistics class freshman year and got a C. I only have one Macro class under my belt I did very well but it's not much. I am worried that is not enough... do they even consider candidates with light quantitative backgrounds or are all admited students economists?

Will taking Econ and Math classes this winter fill in the gaps help me or is it not worth the trouble? And I should stick to 'simple' Msc like Development Studies or Development Management and such

Any insight would be greatly appreaciated

Hi Alchyna,

Many people come to the LSE MPA from non-quantitative backgrounds like yours, so we are certainly not all economists (including myself). The program is quite focused on economics, but applied economics, so the required courses may not be quite as math heavy as you think. You won't be doing complex mathematics, but you do need to have an understanding of basic statistics and calculus. That said, a calculus class is a prerequisite to being accepted, so I would suggest you take that if you are serious. Most public policy/international development master's programs in the US also have prerequisites of one of each of the introductory economics courses, which would mean you would need to take a microeconomics course as well if you want to apply to those schools. A lot of programs, like the LSE MPA, will give you a conditional offer which means it is not a full offer until you complete the required prerequisite, so look into the requirements of programs to see whether you need to take the courses now or if you can wait until you've been accepted.

Whether or not you should apply to a one-year course (which certainly won't simple, just shorter and more qualitative) really depends on your experience prior to the master's, what you want to do with the degree and where you want to work. I think the skills gained in more well-rounded programs, like the MPA or other quantitative-qualitative policy programs like SAIS, SIPA, etc., give you the skills needed to work in development - most jobs require some quantitative skills, especially if you want to do field work, program management or research. I also think the two-year MPA competes better with US programs in the US job market than some of the one-year LSE qualitative degrees, but this is just my speculation.

As a suggestion to end on, contact admissions for programs you're interested in, because they will be able to tell you exactly what you would need to or should take. Hope this helps!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Alchyna,

Many people come to the LSE MPA from non-quantitative backgrounds like yours, so we are certainly not all economists (including myself). The program is quite focused on economics, but applied economics, so the required courses may not be quite as math heavy as you think. You won't be doing complex mathematics, but you do need to have an understanding of basic statistics and calculus. That said, a calculus class is a prerequisite to being accepted, so I would suggest you take that if you are serious. Most public policy/international development master's programs in the US also have prerequisites of one of each of the introductory economics courses, which would mean you would need to take a microeconomics course as well if you want to apply to those schools. A lot of programs, like the LSE MPA, will give you a conditional offer which means it is not a full offer until you complete the required prerequisite, so look into the requirements of programs to see whether you need to take the courses now or if you can wait until you've been accepted.

Whether or not you should apply to a one-year course (which certainly won't simple, just shorter and more qualitative) really depends on your experience prior to the master's, what you want to do with the degree and where you want to work. I think the skills gained in more well-rounded programs, like the MPA or other quantitative-qualitative policy programs like SAIS, SIPA, etc., give you the skills needed to work in development - most jobs require some quantitative skills, especially if you want to do field work, program management or research. I also think the two-year MPA competes better with US programs in the US job market than some of the one-year LSE qualitative degrees, but this is just my speculation.

As a suggestion to end on, contact admissions for programs you're interested in, because they will be able to tell you exactly what you would need to or should take. Hope this helps!

Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply!

After reading countless forums and blogs (particulary Wendy's blog) I have decided to pick the Msc in Development Management over the MPA. It is a much more practical degree and it offers more of what I want to study over the overly theoretical MPA. I think that first year would be really hard on me I looked at the curriculum and I can't say that I like what I see there it's just too much theory/math for my liking. And I don't really like the rigidity of the program in the first year. I also think that it's quite odd that the MPA 2 yr program doesn't have an internship component or anything geared towards profesionnal experience other than the capstone project.I am also applying to Sciences Po and Geneva for Development Studies and I like the structure of both programs better. With that said I am still signing up for Micro and math classes this coming semester even if I'm not applying to the MPA. I think that will be helpful no matter what program I land in.

I was reading over statistics for LSE Msc and even the Dev Management is at around 10% admissions. That is nerver wrecking! I'm applyiing early and I hope that helps.

Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply!

After reading countless forums and blogs (particulary Wendy's blog) I have decided to pick the Msc in Development Management over the MPA. It is a much more practical degree and it offers more of what I want to study over the overly theoretical MPA. I think that first year would be really hard on me I looked at the curriculum and I can't say that I like what I see there it's just too much theory/math for my liking. And I don't really like the rigidity of the program in the first year. I also think that it's quite odd that the MPA 2 yr program doesn't have an internship component or anything geared towards profesionnal experience other than the capstone project.I am also applying to Sciences Po and Geneva for Development Studies and I like the structure of both programs better. With that said I am still signing up for Micro and math classes this coming semester even if I'm not applying to the MPA. I think that will be helpful no matter what program I land in.

I was reading over statistics for LSE Msc and even the Dev Management is at around 10% admissions. That is nerver wrecking! I'm applyiing early and I hope that helps.

Hi alchyna,

Congrats on making a decision. While I'm not going to argue that the MPA is better for you, because that depends on many personal things, I just would like to make a few points regarding your last post. The MSc in Development Management is not necessarily more practical than the MPA, and it is certainly is not not-theoretical. Yes, the MPA is quite theoretical in comparison to MPA's at places like Colombia SIPA, but I argue that all LSE degrees would be deemed pretty theoretical by most people. Being theoretical doesn't make a master's better or worse, it just depends on what you're looking for. Also, a dissertation is optional in the MPA whereas it is required in the MSc, and to me any degree that requires a dissertation is pretty theoretical. The MPA does require applied courses in economics and quantitative analysis that prep you for working as a policy/research analyst at places like a regional development bank (which is why that latter course is not called "econometrics" - we gloss over the more nuanced statistical theory that isn't necessary to do most policy analysis). It's really just basic calculus and statistics that's required in the courses, but people can opt to make it much more quantitative if they want. Furthermore, while the MPA doesn't require an internship over the summer, the majority of students do one between their first and second years. What the MPA does require in the second year is a six-month long consulting project with prominent organizations (Bank of England, Boston Consulting Group, the World Bank, UNICEF to name a few regulars), which is quite a professional requirement.

That said, the MSc in Development Management may very well be the right master's for you - I just don't think the reasons you listed above are the right ones (just honestly trying to help).

p.s. to ease your nerves, 10% intake doesn't mean that they only accepted 10% of applicants! It means that 10% of applicants received AND accepted an offer. I'm not sure what the statistics were, but it's very safe to say LSE gave out more offers than spots available. But do apply early, makes it easier to get in and gets it over and done with :)

Edited by smirrah

• 2 weeks later...

Hi alchyna,

Congrats on making a decision. While I'm not going to argue that the MPA is better for you, because that depends on many personal things, I just would like to make a few points regarding your last post. The MSc in Development Management is not necessarily more practical than the MPA, and it is certainly is not not-theoretical. Yes, the MPA is quite theoretical in comparison to MPA's at places like Colombia SIPA, but I argue that all LSE degrees would be deemed pretty theoretical by most people. Being theoretical doesn't make a master's better or worse, it just depends on what you're looking for. Also, a dissertation is optional in the MPA whereas it is required in the MSc, and to me any degree that requires a dissertation is pretty theoretical. The MPA does require applied courses in economics and quantitative analysis that prep you for working as a policy/research analyst at places like a regional development bank (which is why that latter course is not called "econometrics" - we gloss over the more nuanced statistical theory that isn't necessary to do most policy analysis). It's really just basic calculus and statistics that's required in the courses, but people can opt to make it much more quantitative if they want. Furthermore, while the MPA doesn't require an internship over the summer, the majority of students do one between their first and second years. What the MPA does require in the second year is a six-month long consulting project with prominent organizations (Bank of England, Boston Consulting Group, the World Bank, UNICEF to name a few regulars), which is quite a professional requirement.

That said, the MSc in Development Management may very well be the right master's for you - I just don't think the reasons you listed above are the right ones (just honestly trying to help).

p.s. to ease your nerves, 10% intake doesn't mean that they only accepted 10% of applicants! It means that 10% of applicants received AND accepted an offer. I'm not sure what the statistics were, but it's very safe to say LSE gave out more offers than spots available. But do apply early, makes it easier to get in and gets it over and done with :)

I'm sorry I have subscribed to this thread but for some reason I don't get notified when it's updated! Forgive my late reply.

You make valid points there smirrah! The way you put it the MPA does sound better all of a sudden lol but in reality the free option classes are the same in both the Msc in Dev Management and the MPA so I will be able to take some of the same classes. The Msc does not have a 6 month long capstone but they do have a consultancy project as well. And in all honesty price is also a major factor I had to take into account the MPA is 2 years tuition is higher.

I try not to be discouraged by stats or I don't think I'd ever apply to anything!

I have started the application process and I have 5 schools all in Europe and I am so nervous! I have been working and reworking my SOP  everything is ready, even my professors have been great and submited their letters already but I can't bring myself to submit my LSE application thinking I still have time to edit something.

My application for IHEID Geneva Development Studies is already submitted I wanted to be considered for early review. I am also applying to Sciences Po for International Development, SOAS for Development Studies and UCL for International Public Policy. To be quite honest I'm not so sure about UCL since development in Africa is really what interests me.

IDS Sussex recently came to my attention I don't know why I have not heard much about this program it seems quite good for dev studies. But I don't know if I should add one more school so late in the process after doing extensive research on my other choices. You seem to know a lot about UK schools any insight would be great!

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I've been accepted to the MPA PEP at LSE for the fall 2014 intake and was wondering if you can give me some advise on what calculus course is best to take. Some of the ones I saw online require a lot of time (and I'm currently working full-time) and cost quite a lot. Also, would there be any option to take open course / free calculus and then just take some kind of certification exam? 

And another question, do you know what % (if any) of the students get scholarships for the MPA and if yes, how much do these cover?

Thanks in advance  :)

Hi all,

I've been accepted to the MPA PEP at LSE for the fall 2014 intake and was wondering if you can give me some advise on what calculus course is best to take. Some of the ones I saw online require a lot of time (and I'm currently working full-time) and cost quite a lot. Also, would there be any option to take open course / free calculus and then just take some kind of certification exam? 

And another question, do you know what % (if any) of the students get scholarships for the MPA and if yes, how much do these cover?

Thanks in advance  :)

Hello irivp,

Congratulations! When did you hear about the admission? I applied for MPA ID in the first week of January, and i'm getting very nervous!

Sorry but i don't know about the level of calculus required. Maybe you can write to them, explaining your background so far, and they can tell you what you need to do? But you already  knew that, i'm sure :)

Cheers,

a