Not able to attend Interview

Jfaz83

I received an email today inviting me to an admissions interview in three weeks. I live in Dallas and my admissions interview would be in Seattle. It not only comes at a bad time of the semester, its also a HUGE financial strain. Would it be a strike against me if I can't attend? If not, how should I go about informing them that I can't?

Ask if they can reimburse you. If not, I'm sure they would understand and hopefully schedule a phone or skype interview. Lots of people can't visit, especially internationals.

Some programs even accept people they haven't interviewed at all over people they invited to interview! Okay, I'm clearly bitter here. <_<Columbia...

Don't worry, politely notify the department that you are unable to attend the interview and request a Skype or phone interview instead. I currently live abroad and had to request other interview methods twice. So far it hasn't been an issue and there's no reason why it should hurt your chances for admission. As snes indicated, this is a common scenario with many applicants.

I agree with the posters above... but if you CAN go, I would. The professors use the interviews, not as a way to gauge your academic success (they have your stats and CV etc), but to find out if you will be compatible personality-wise and as a person. They have to work with you for the next X number of years, as will the other grad students and they want to know if you will fit well into the department - if you have the "right" attitude, a good demeanor, maturity etc. The kind of things that can't really be gauged on paper... Not saying you can't convey those things in a skype interview, but face-to-face interviews or weekend long interview sessions permit a lot more contact.

I agree with asking if the trip will be reimburse, even if not, IMO it's worth the added headache. After all, you might also find out that you don't like THEM, or the facilities weren't what you thought they were ie. labs etc.